OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Mount/Rings for Model 700

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adrien Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mount/Rings for Model 700
    Posted: January/05/2010 at 22:42
I have a Model 700 CDL coming (chambered in 204 Ruger) and I've decided on a Nikon Monarch 3-12x42SF. Should I look at something like a DNZ? Remington also has their generic Integral Scope Mounts you can find around online.

What say you?

Adrien
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/06/2010 at 07:22
DNZ is a great mount.  I am not sure about the Remington Mount.  There are other mounts to consider too.  Depending on your price range.  bandger would be top of the line along with Leupold mark 4. Then you have Tally and Warne that are good too.  DNZ is right up there too.
magshooter1 View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote magshooter1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/06/2010 at 07:30
Yeah DNZ or Talley would be my choice for that rifle.  The Warnes are good too, but they are pretty heavy.
Some people are educated BEYOND their intelligence.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/06/2010 at 07:39
tps makes a nice set too
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
dls56 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dls56 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/06/2010 at 08:35
I like the Warne steel even if they do add a little weight. Kind of like the Chevy vs. Ford debate, a lot of it is what you are used to and what it's going to be used for. You're going to enjoy the .204 caliber I think. I have a 5X20X44 SF Monarch mounted (Warne steel) on my .204 (Savage Model 14) and have put many groundhogs away with it from a loooong way away, Nikon makes some nice glass. Best wishes.
Adrien View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adrien Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/06/2010 at 09:56
Thanks for the opinions. I'll probably stick with the DNZ for the ease and simplicity. What height should I get for the 3-12x42? What if I decided to step up to the 4-16x50, what height would that one need?

Thanks,

Adrien
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/06/2010 at 10:00
Med. but if you step up get the high
BowHunter252 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BowHunter252 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/06/2010 at 13:00

I went with the Talley rings/bases.  I think I got them on sale from**** for $31.  Can't beat that for rings and bases, and I think they look better than a 1 piece base too.

Edited by tahqua - January/06/2010 at 14:41
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/06/2010 at 13:05
Big Grin
Originally posted by BowHunter252 BowHunter252 wrote:

I went with the Talley rings/bases.  I think I got them on sale from***** for $31.  Can't beat that for rings and bases, and I think they look better than a 1 piece base too

Originally posted by Chirs Farris Chirs Farris wrote:

1.  Keep it clean.  If you have to ask your self whether or not it's clean.........don't post it.  This includes images too, no blood, guts, nudity, etc.  Only respectful "Hero Shots" of harvested game can be posted.  Pictures of bloody game, game hanging or game in the bed of pick-up truck are not respectable.

2.  No personal attacks.  If you think someone is an idiot, (chances are) everyone else does too.  No need to post it.

3.  Do not advertise our competition.  We work hard to gain the respect and support of our customers.  We also offer a 110% Low Price Guarantee.

4.  No religious discussions or politics unless it relates to guns, optics, and or shooting.

5.  PM stands for Private Message.  Do not publicly share PM's without the consent of the sender.

6.  The Optics Talk forum is not to be used as a customer service tool for SWFA customers.  Tracking numbers, Order Status, Credit Card issues, etc. need to be directed to our Customer Service Professionals at 972-617-7056 from 8 a.m -5 p.m CDT or via e-mail at swfa@swfa.com.

7.  For Sale ads are to be placed in Member's Trading Post area only.  Read the For Sale Rules prior to selling.

8.  SWFA's OpticsTalk forum is a peaceful community of like minded shooting, hunting and outdoors enthusiasts.  Open minded, logical, rational debates are healthy and welcome.  Close minded, agenda pushing, strong handed debates (bordering on arguments) to prove one's position or point simply for the sake of winning or to gain some perceived power are not welcome.

For future reference.  We all love midway but only for everything else besides what SWFA sales.Big Grin

Edited by tahqua - January/06/2010 at 14:42
BowHunter252 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BowHunter252 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/06/2010 at 13:07
Oops, sorry about that.  Is there a way to edit  my post?  I can't seem to figure it out.
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/06/2010 at 13:09
Not until you have posted a few more times (10 I think)  But don't worry with it. it will be ok
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/06/2010 at 13:15
It requires 50 posts to add pics and edit posts. 

You can go to the anything goes forum and there is a bump your post count topic where you can just post a bunch of BS to build it up if you would like. http://www.opticstalk.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=10080&PN=480

The 50 post minimum helps to keep the spammers so they cannot do as much damage. 
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/06/2010 at 14:42
Originally posted by BowHunter252 BowHunter252 wrote:

Oops, sorry about that.  Is there a way to edit  my post?  I can't seem to figure it out.

No problem
Adrien View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adrien Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/07/2010 at 00:36
Well I'm pretty sure I like the simplicity of the DNZ mounts but I did check out the Talley mounts as well. Here's a link to the Remington mounts just as a reference.

http://www.remingtoncountrystore.com/productcompact.aspx?catalogid=1&categoryid=0&productid=3651

Adrien
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/07/2010 at 07:28
I think you will be happy with the DNZ mounts.  Solid and should handle all your needs
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic