OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Swaro...wrong scope for my rifle?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kallen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Swaro...wrong scope for my rifle?
    Posted: January/04/2010 at 23:39
I feel like I need to go to opticholics anonomous.  With all the scope selections, new ballistic reticles, new ballistic turrets, and the latest scope coating I am questioning my last scope purchase.  I got a Swarovski 3-10x42, always wanted one, it was the scope that I remember I could pickup to compare against another and was always brighter and just seemed to bring things out.  To describe it would be like regular cable to HDTV, well maybe not that good but you get the idea.

I bought it for my custom lightweight long range hunting rifle and used it on a couple trips in 2009 and it was a joy to look through.  The scope looks great on the gun too...but I am left empty with not having long range adjustments.  I am having buyers remorse now, seems like I should have bought a scope with parallax adjustment and adjustable turrets because the rifle was built with the intention of precision shooting at longer ranges.

When I was first making the decision it was about keeping the weight down and having the best optics with a sleek body.  I figure a tactical scope would look funny on this light mountain rifle, but if I go with another scope there's no getting around it, it will be larger and heavier.  The only scopes that I have considered so far is a Leupold VX-3 4.5-14x40 LR or a Zeiss 4.5-14x44 figuring I can have elevation turrets installed. 

The scope is great but when it comes to using the right tool for the right job I think I screwed up.   Anyone else been through this?  I am hoping the next scope is the right pick although my two scopes I am looking at are different in a lot of ways.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/05/2010 at 00:06
What caliber rifle is it and what game do you hunt and how do you hunt - stalking or from a blind or ladder stand.  What distances do you think you would want to shoot?
Trijicon 5-20x50 Accu-Point 30mm Rifle Scope Mil-Dot Crosshair w/ Green Dot Trijicon 5-20x50 Accu-Point 30mm Rifle Scope
Stock # - TR232G
  • Matte
  • Mil-Dot Crosshair w/ Green Dot
  • 30mm
  • Free Sun Shade w/ Purchase
$1,019.95
Add Trijicon 5-20x50 Accu-Point 30mm Rifle Scope to Cart 
This would be a good choice out to a max of about 600 yds as the scope only has 50 moa of internal adjustment - figure half up and half down so for example a 300 Win Mag Federal  P300WX Barnes MRX  zeroed at 200 drops 18.7 in at 400 yds and 37.6 inches at 500 yds.
One MOA at 500 yds is 5 inches so 37.6 divided by 5 gives 7.5 MOA.
As for Leupold and Zeiss Conquest with target turrets you should look at Kenton knobs
Noteworthy is the new CDS  custom dial system from Leupold where they engrave short knobs to your caliber and bullet.
Leupold 4.5-14x40 VX-3 Riflescope Duplex Leupold 4.5-14x40 VX-3 Riflescope
Stock # - LEU59270
  • Matte
  • Duplex
  • 1"
  • Custom Dial System
  • Xtended Twilight Lens System
$639.95
Add Leupold 4.5-14x40 VX-3 Riflescope to Cart 
Leupold 4.5-14x40 Mark 4 LR/T 30mm Riflescope Duplex Leupold 4.5-14x40 Mark 4 LR/T 30mm Riflescope
Stock # - LEU56140
  • Matte
  • Duplex
  • 30mm
  • Long Range
  • Side Focus
  • Target Knobs
$724.95 
Add Leupold 4.5-14x40 Mark 4 LR/T 30mm Riflescope to Cart 

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
faldoc View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote faldoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/05/2010 at 00:41
Have you looked at the Swaro Z6 2.5-15x44 with ballistic turret? It weighs a bit more, but it gives a bit more magnification for longer ranges as well as the ballistic turret. Not cheap, but seems to meet your needs better than the 1.7-10x42.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/05/2010 at 07:03
Welcome to OT, Kallen!

First, what does "long range" mean to you?  How far do you realistically expect to shoot game at with this rifle?  You said it was a "lightweight mountain rifle," which generally doesn't make a good "long range" rifle, because the compromises you have to make for light weight work against you for super long range precision.  With practice and load development, you should be able to make 400 yard shots with the rig you have, which is plenty far enough to take game in 90%+ of all hunting scenarios.

I would keep the scope you have and not think twice about it.  The Swaro 3-10X42 is a fine scope!  In most hunting situations, simpler is better in a hunting rifle.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/05/2010 at 08:56
+1 Ted, keep it simple.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/05/2010 at 09:17
IT's paid for... You don't need half the "crap" that people tell you you need.  Feel Better?
"If we weren't all crazy we, We would go insane."   Jimmie Buffet

WWW.formitch.com

SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/05/2010 at 09:21

K.I.S.S    Figure out what it stands for then re-evaluate. (disreguard what the last S stands for not calling you that)

RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/05/2010 at 09:43
Originally posted by silver silver wrote:

You don't need half the "crap" that people tell you you need. 

Amen! 
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/05/2010 at 11:07
If it helps I'll give 75$ for the scope since you want to trade down...
"If we weren't all crazy we, We would go insane."   Jimmie Buffet

WWW.formitch.com

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/05/2010 at 12:43
i'll trade you a nikon buckmaster for it if you twist my arm i can bump it up to a monarch ucc!
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Jon A View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jon A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/05/2010 at 13:31
My advice is to sell your scope and get one better suited to your needs.  Using the proper tool for the job avoids much frustration, brings success and happiness.  

If you need it right now, either the Leupold or Zeiss will work, get whichever you like better.  Though if you plan to really stretch things the greater internal travel of the Leupold gives it a leg up. 

If you're in the process of planning for next year, order a Vortex PST 4-16.  It'll be the class of that pricerange for your uses and it's still much lighter than comparable Nightforce, IOR's, etc.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/05/2010 at 14:13
To me, the terms "lightweight" and "long range" are usually incongruent when it comes to rifles.  Nowadays, both terms are generally attached to specialized tools that are pretty dissimilar.  Of course, both are relative terms as well. 

So, I think before proceeding with recommendations, we need more clarification on how Kallen intends to use the rifle.  One person's definition of "long range" and "long range rifle" may not be the same as another's.  He may or may not have all the scope he needs already.  Just as I wouldn't put Eagle GT tires on my F150 truck, if his definition of "long range" is typical of the shots most hunters outside of the West encounter, he may not truly need tactical knobs, ballistic reticles, and greater elevation travel.
Ted

SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/05/2010 at 14:38
I think we need more info on exactly what the OP mans with precision long range.  Can you enlighten us on you conditions more?
Jon A View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jon A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/05/2010 at 14:46
I think it's safe to assume that since he's already used his current scope for a season and found it to be lacking, he's talking about ranges farther than those at which guestimating holdover is adequate.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/05/2010 at 14:57
I have a buddy who is a very experienced hunter and has been using the same rifle for at least 10 years that I know of.  He bought a .300 RUM because he was fully convinced he needed something super flat shooting that packs a wallop.  He hunts whitetail deer where a long shot is 400 yards.  He's gradually realizing that his .308 is imminently more practical, but this revelation has come after years of being caught up in the "more is better" mentality.

With all due respect, I don't think it's safe to assume anything.  Sometimes we shooters conclude something is lacking based more on perceived needs than actual needs.

He very well could have a real need for a different scope, but then he also may need an entirely different rifle if he has what one generally associates with a "lightweight mountain rifle."
Ted

SD Dog View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
OT Scratching Post

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SD Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/05/2010 at 16:34
Agree Ted, all we know so far is that he thinks he made a bad decision.  Need to what he is running and what that goal is.
If nobody ever said anything unless he knew what he was talking about, a ghastly hush would descend upon the earth. AP Herbert

Stupidity & ignorance have been the foundation for many certainties.
JF4545 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JF4545 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/05/2010 at 16:43
He's Shooting a 270wsm,   Thats all I know...
SD Dog View Drop Down
OT Scratching Post

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SD Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/05/2010 at 16:46
So far a 3x10 Swaro don't sound like a bad deal.  Could think of a lot worse scopes to have on a .270 wsm.
If nobody ever said anything unless he knew what he was talking about, a ghastly hush would descend upon the earth. AP Herbert

Stupidity & ignorance have been the foundation for many certainties.
kallen View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kallen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/05/2010 at 21:14
I usually reside on another website, but wanted to reach out to a different group.  There is a lot of useful experience and knowledge I have seen on this forum so I appreciate the welcome.  In the future I hope I can also share some of my experience and knowledge as well.

My latest rifle (the custom 270 wsm) has brought me to a point in my guns where I was concerned on just the hunting aspect and now I am more interested in shooting more accurate and at longer range targets.  I can shoot targets all year around.  The fact is that it is a hunting rifle not a target rifle, but I feel that it needs to be equipped to shoot appropriately for the intended target.  This rifle could be used for coyote, deer, elk which all have different vital size targets.

So to get it out of the way I would never shoot at an animal that I didn't know the range and the data to adjust to shoot at such range.  If I didn't feel comfortable with the shot I wouldn't do it.  One of the posters made a good point with the bigger is better.  My main rifle I hunt deer with is a .308...plenty of power and setup to 400 yards and some change.  The 270 wsm was selected for various reasons but the main was to reach out there and have some punch on the Elk hunts.  It is intended for being able to shoot over 400 yards so I thought I'd carry a ballistic card to 525 yards for if the long shot opportunity arose while hunting.  I know 24 clicks gets me 525 yards @ 6000 ft elevation @ 60F.  Besides knowing my ballistics I just want to go out with steel targets and practice at varied distances up to 600 yards. 

I think you can see that I started out thinking I would adjust the turret for the occassional hunting situation but now I have migrated to wanting to target shoot 400 to 600 yards where a lot more turret turning is going be used.  The parallax adjustment isn't a hunting issue as much as a load development issue and shooting groups at 100, 200, and 300 yards.

I hope this helps the subject. 

Thanks
Jon A View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jon A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/05/2010 at 23:09
Thanks for the added details.  My recommendations remain unchanged.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic