OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

scope for new rifle

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fishingfool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: scope for new rifle
    Posted: January/04/2010 at 22:11
Hey everybody I'am new to this forum.I just purhased at Savage Model12 Long Range Precsision Varminter in 204.The only experience I have with a scoped rifle is my 30.06 with a 4 power leuapold which I use for pig hunting here in No.Ca.Due  to cost considerations I'am trying to stay around 300-400 for the new scope.Any opinions on the Nikon Buckmaster 6x18x40?Most of my initial shooting will be on paper at 100-200yds.Also thinking 40mm to keep scope low on rifle.One more thought,what about mounting the scope with a picatinny rail?Any thoughts and opinions would be welcome and appreciated,thanks.
DSP Rock Harbor
biggreen747 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote biggreen747 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/04/2010 at 22:53
The rail mount would make a good choice. As to the scope there are a number of quality scopes in your price range. I would step up to a Nikon Monarch over the BM or look at the Burris FFII 4.5-14x42 or the Sightron SII series. I think the Sightron may have the best glass of the bunch but the Burris is built like a tank. If you are looking for a really great deal SWFA has this scope for a heck of a deal right now. http://swfa.com/Vortex-6-24x50-Crossfire-Rifle-Scope-P43585.aspx.

I just ordered one for a 223rem. I figured if I don't like it I am not out much money. It's a bigger bell than you were looking at but may be an option
We measure it with a micrometer, mark it with a crayon, and cut it with a chainsaw.
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/04/2010 at 23:07
4.5-14 Burris FFll will be better and brighter glass than the Buckmaster. At $279 on the samplelist is in the same price range as the Buckmaster. Burris has a better reputation on the CS than Nikon. the 14 power will be plenty good out to 400 yd. Welcome to the OP
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/05/2010 at 00:11
You sould also consider the fixed power Super Sniper Tactical scopes in 10x   16x  and 20 x

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/05/2010 at 07:17

If you like fixed power and want a little more magnification Bushnell has the elite 3200 in a fixed 10x40 with mil-dot reticle.  I use it on a 223 for paper from 100-500yds.  Great scope Great price. Rock Solid to.

fishingfool View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fishingfool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/05/2010 at 20:10
Just got home from work and checked the site,thanks everbody for your reply;s.I will defintly check out your recomendations.This seems like really good site,later.
DSP Rock Harbor
slurpin dog View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slurpin dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/09/2010 at 14:30
I recently bought a burris fullfield ll 3x9 ballistic plex. Comes with a free pair of 10x32 burris binoculars. Both are very clear, and well made. Excellent buy for $219.00 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic