OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Varmint Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Is side focus and AO the same?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mossyoak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Is side focus and AO the same?
    Posted: January/04/2010 at 18:40
I have been looking at 2 different scopes for my .22-250, and was wondering if the side focus on the 4.5-14x40LR the same as the 4.5-14x40AO?  Can anyone help me on this one?  What are the advantages and disadvantages...

http://swfa.com/Leupold-45-14x40-VX-3-30mm-Riflescope-P12698.aspx

http://swfa.com/Leupold-45-14x40-VX-3-Riflescope-P12691.aspx
tjtjwdad View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tjtjwdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/04/2010 at 22:29
Check out this thread.

HTH
mossyoak View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mossyoak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/06/2010 at 16:27
Thanks
lewwetzel View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewwetzel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/2010 at 23:19
Personally, I'd go for the SF. I just bought an AO scope after having 3 SF's. Now the AO seems like a pain, e.g.: you can see the yardage readings on the SF without moving your head as you must do with the AO; parallax adj. during off-hand shooting is much easier with SF. SF scopes are, however, usually a few oz. heavier, although I don't think that's the case with those Leupolds you're looking at; plus the LR has more adjustment range. If there's a difference in optical quality, I can't tell it, although SF in some lower-price models may or may not be the cause of the "tunnel vision" on some of those.
And then there's the rear-focus Super Sniper. That's really convenient for RH shooters...
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/09/2010 at 07:55
I, being a lefty, prefer AO's or moreover, the rear focus to SF.    
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
stork23raz View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stork23raz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/05/2010 at 07:49

I recently purchased my first SF scope. I cant imagen going back to AO. AO is prob better for rimfires though,  due the fact most the ones I have seen some go down to as low as 7 yards. Generally the SF low about 50 yards. But 50yards plus, SF is the way to go IMO. 

tjtjwdad View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tjtjwdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/05/2010 at 12:57
I did a search not to long ago and I believe it was on the 6mmBR site that I found an article on this subject.  While they both do the same thing there are difference and like most things, there are trade offs between the two.
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stork23raz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/06/2010 at 07:56
What exactly did it say?
And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.

Matthew 10:28
tjtjwdad View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tjtjwdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/06/2010 at 10:50
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stork23raz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/06/2010 at 11:25
def a must read for all shooters
And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.

Matthew 10:28
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic