OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Narrowed down to 6 tweener scopes

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Upnordth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Narrowed down to 6 tweener scopes
    Posted: January/04/2010 at 18:22
The best of 6 tweener scopes:

I am currently looking to  purchase a Tikka T3 or Browning BLR chambered in either 243 or 270.  I will need  scope that will give me plenty of FOV on the low end for running shots and "enough" magnifcation for the potential but highly unlikely 400 yard standing shot.  Wether you agree with it or not, running shots in wide open country under 200 yards is common and I along with my friends are quite good at dropping running critters in their tracks while shooting off-hand.  That's a whole other discussion that people love to debate.  I currently have a BLR topped off with a Sightron 1.25-5x20.  While the glass is very nice, the 20mm objective when I'm sitting just at dawn and dark falls short.  With that said, I have made a short list of 6 short to medium range "tweener" scopes that fit my requirements.   While there a certainly a large number of other scopes to be had there comes a time when you need to "get off the fence" and make a choice.  My short list was based on several factors which included:

1. FOV - low end (1.5x minimum)

2. FOV - high end (no more than 8x)

3. Weight (lighter -better)

4. Length (shorter - better)

5. Eye Relief (very subjective)

6. Warranty (based on manufacturers stated warranty and individuals actual experience and subjec tive opinions)

7. Purchase Price (lower better...but then again)

The 6 finalist scopes include:

1. Leupold VX3 1.75-6x32

2. Leupold VX3 2.5-8x36

3. Vortex Viper 2-7x32

4. Weaver V7 2.5-7x32

JH
ckk1106 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ckk1106 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/04/2010 at 18:48
My pick would be the VX3 1.75-6X32, but I'm just going off of what I've read about the scopes listed.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/04/2010 at 20:30
the vortex and the 1.75 vx3's are both pretty good scopes. i have that 2x7 vortex on my .375H&H

maybe this can help you some koshkin did a lot of work on this.

http://www.opticstalk.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=16901&KW=tweener+scopes

Edited by pyro6999 - January/04/2010 at 20:32
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
martin3175 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/04/2010 at 21:08
Koshkin's post is very encompassing .. I have 2 of the Monarchs - they are good scopes and 3 of the Leupold  2.5-8's which are one  on my favorite scopes 
Upnordth View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Upnordth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/04/2010 at 21:33
I read the string started by Koshkin on Tweener scopes and it was very educating.  That string had a strong influence on my final 6 options.  I guess part of what I'm trying to do before I make my selection is fill in the holes by attempting to get a greater level of details on the Weaver V7 and Bushnell Legend.  Are they diamonds in the rough or sub-par mid to low range optics?  I'm not yet satisfied with the information I've received.
At one time I was sure I had settled on the Monarch and then the Viper.  I owned the Legend a few years ago and can't recall much about it.  The old Monarch I had was nice but the clicks were not always repeatable.
When I first started my search several months ago, I was dead set on the 2-7x32 Viper.  I ended up over-researching, read a few bad reports on that unit and came down with a case of brainlock.  I always thought the Leupolds carried a price that was high for their performance, but in tinkering with the new VX3 I was impressed.  Lots of options are great, but maybe there's just too many options these days. 
JH
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/04/2010 at 22:11
the nice thing about the viper is that vortex's warranty is excellent. the legend is pretty much the same as the 3200 elite.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/04/2010 at 23:31
Leupold 1.5-5x20 VX-3 30mm Riflescope Illuminated Duplex Leupold 1.5-5x20 VX-3 30mm Riflescope
Stock # - LEU66625
  • Matte
  • Illuminated Duplex
  • 30mm
  • Xtended Twilight Lens System
$599.95 
Add Leupold 1.5-5x20 VX-3 30mm Riflescope to Cart 
Trijicon 1-4x24 Accu-Point 30mm Rifle Scope Red Triangle Trijicon 1-4x24 Accu-Point 30mm Rifle Scope
Stock # - TR24R
  • Matte
  • Red Triangle
  • 30mm
$764.95
Add Trijicon 1-4x24 Accu-Point 30mm Rifle Scope to Cart 
Trijicon 2.5-10x56 Accu-Point 30mm Rifle Scope Standard Crosshair w/ Green Dot Trijicon 2.5-10x56 Accu-Point 30mm Rifle Scope
Stock # - TR221G
  • Matte
  • Standard Crosshair w/ Green Dot
  • 30mm
$806.95
Add Trijicon 2.5-10x56 Accu-Point 30mm Rifle Scope to Cart 
Bushnell 1.25-4x24 Elite 4200 Rifle Scope 4A w/ Illuminated Dot Bushnell 1.25-4x24 Elite 4200 Rifle Scope
Stock # - 421424M
  • Matte
  • 4A w/ Illuminated Dot
  • 30mm
  • Rainguard
  • Free Fleece Pullover (Mail-In Coupon)
$454.95
Im more inclined to pick an illuminated reticle but of your choices I would take a  Leupold VX3 but I would rather have the Leupold FX3 fixed 6x42 with long range duplex than any of the variables because it will be brighter in low light and has a balistic reticle.
Leupold 6x42 FX-3 Riflescope Long Range Duplex Leupold 6x42 FX-3 Riflescope
Stock # - LEU66820
  • Matte
  • Long Range Duplex
  • 1"
  • Xtended Twilight Lens System
$409.95
Add Leupold 6x42 FX-3 Riflescope to Cart 

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/05/2010 at 03:05
Weaver V7 and Bushnell Legend are nice scopes in their price ranges, but they are not really competitive with the other ones in this group.

VX-3s, Viper and Monarch are all very nice and the choice their really comes down to price range and reticle choice.

For the money, I think Viper is the standout of the bunch, but that is partly becuase I prefer the C3 reticle to both of the reticles available in the Monarch.

On the other hand if you expect to spend a lot of time in low light, Leupold offers a much better low light reticle with the heavy plex in 1.75-6x32.

ILya
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/05/2010 at 07:14
I would go with the viper of the ones you listed
Upnordth View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Upnordth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/12/2010 at 19:49
Well I got off the fence and decided.  Vortex 2-7x32 with the C3 reticle.  Mounted it on my Browning BLR with EGW picatinny base and my old standby Weaver Quad Lock rings.  I really like the quad locks.  Have never come remotely close to scuffing a scope with thoughs rings.  I wanted to post a pic. but I can't seem to make it work.  I do like the reticle, but at first glance, the C3 reticle seems a bit too thin for low light...no matter, its my daylight gun.  I purchased a 3-9 Bushnell Elite 4200 for my A-bolt .243.  That's my dark-thirty rifle.

JH
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/12/2010 at 21:07
i think you will like the viper you got the same scope as i did.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
boliodogs View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boliodogs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/20/2010 at 16:32

The Leupold vx3 1.75-6x32 is very likely the best for your needs but let me tell you about  two other scopes I like. The Weaver Grand Slam 1.5-5x32 meets your needs and it has a field of view of 71 feet on low power compared to 51 feet for the vx3 and it truely weighs under 11.5 ounces which is only .5 ounces heavier than the vx3. The Weaver is a high quality scope with good eye relief and I have been buying mine new for $285. The Burris 1.75-5x32 Signature Select weighs 12.3 ounces and has a field of view of 45 feet on 1.75 power with lots of eye relief and I have been paying $340 for this scope and it is a good one also but only beats the vx3 on eye relief. The Leupold may be the best but if a 71 foot fov. sounds good check out the Grand Slam.

boliodogs View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boliodogs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/20/2010 at 19:52
I forgot about the Leupold vxll 2-7x33 that is such a great all around scope. It is very light, about ten ounces and short at 11 inches. The fov. at low power is 42.5 feet. and I think Leupolds are the best for reliability and ruggedness. This one sells for $300 and it is well worth it in my opinion.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic