OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Which scope for .30-06

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Foxman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Which scope for .30-06
    Posted: January/04/2010 at 17:33
I've been looking at upgrading sopes.  I have a 2x8 Pentax LightSeeker on my Rem 700 in .30-06.  Been looking at Zeiss Conquest in 4.5x14x50 and Swarvo American 4x12x50.
Any thoughts or real world experience would be helpful.  Mainly deer hunt but do some coyote hunts also.  Shots are anywhere from 50 to 400 yards.
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/04/2010 at 17:44
Both excellent scopes, I'm partial to the swaro in this comparison.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
martin3175 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/04/2010 at 21:34

Agree with lucytuma

tjtjwdad View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tjtjwdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/04/2010 at 22:41
Optically, I think you would be happy with either one.  The questions are;

1.  Which is more suitable to your needs, a tad more (Zeiss) or a tad less (Swarovski) magnification

2.  Do you have a preference for SF parallax adjustments (Zeiss) or AO (Swarovski)?

3.  Does one brand offer you a particular reticle you like?

HTH
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/04/2010 at 23:18
I prefer to dial in correction so I like tactical knobs and you can get the Zeiss Conquest 4.5 to 14x50 with tactical knobs.  The rapid Z reticles are nice and could be quite helpful. Im also a big fan of having an illuminated reticle like Trijicon  2.5-10x56 or the Sightron SIII 3.5 to 10x56 both good low light optics.  There are some used Swarovski scopes on samplelist and the professional hunter 4-16 is very nice.   I put a 4-16x40 bushnell 4200 on my sons 30-06 and its reasonably priced with good glass.  In low light or heavy brush the Trijicon with illuminated post  will come on target very rapidly so great for stalking but no balistic retilce unless you use the mil dot version for hold over  at 100 yds one mil is 3.6 inches so you can figure out how to hold over wiht a little work on the range.   If you hunt from a blind or ladder stand you need more power and will make longer shots. If you hunt stalking  you need lower power most.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
magshooter1 View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote magshooter1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/05/2010 at 07:21
What you gonna do with the Pentax after you get the new scope?
Some people are educated BEYOND their intelligence.
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/05/2010 at 07:22
I prefer the swaro in the two you mentioned but wouldn't limit myself to just those two unless you have ruled other brands out because of features you dont' like. 
Foxman View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Foxman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/05/2010 at 21:22
I was thinking about selling it or putting it on a .22 mag in my safe. 
magshooter1 View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote magshooter1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/06/2010 at 07:27
If you decide to sell it, send me a pm with some pics.  I would be interested in maybe purchasing it from you.  I am needing a decent compact scope and that might just fit the bill.
Some people are educated BEYOND their intelligence.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic