OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Nikon Monarch VS Leupold FX 3

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stubewan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nikon Monarch VS Leupold FX 3
    Posted: August/17/2005 at 12:35
 I need some help.  I'm very confused by all the mag reviews of scopes.  I want a fixed scope to be mounted on a Rem 700, 7mm-08.  My hunting area is east coast, the Carolinas, my area is woody with some open area, but not thickets.  Most has been groomed for plots and shooting lanes. My usual shot is about 40 - 135 yards. I am considering the Nikon Monarch 6x42 and the Leupold FX 3 6x42. I would appreciate any help and or suggestion for making this decision. Any othe brand that you might consider would also be welcomed.  Thanks Stubewan
Stubewan
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/18/2005 at 08:28
This is not a fair comparison, very few scopes, even fixed come close to the FX Leo. I'm sure there will be the usual posts for the Euros on how great they are- but for the money the Leo goes a long way.
NC-amature View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NC-amature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/18/2005 at 08:58
Where's koshkin?  Someone is looking for a fixed scope. . . Think he would suggest Sightron or something. . .;-)
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/18/2005 at 13:44

Since my name was mentioned there are more fixed scopes out there than Nikon and Leupold. 

The best for the money is an IOR 6x42.  Great glass and an MP8 reticle.  In 6x IOR also has a 6x30, but I think that the 6x42 is cheaper and better.

Sightron does make a very nice 6x42 scope that should compete well against Monarch and FX-III at a lower cost.  However, I have not yet played with a new Leupold FX-III 6x42 so I do not know.  I used to have a previous generation Leupold M8 6x42 scope which I believe is optically comparable FX-II scopes and I sold it.  I have a couple of Israeli Nimrod 6x40 scopes and they were both head and shoulders better than that Leupold.  Their glass is actually comparable to a 6x42 IOR and 6x42 Sightron.

Anyhow, of the new production 6x scopes (Nimrod is not made any more) there are two distinct price ranges that you can look at:

$200-$250:

Burris Fullfield II 6x40

Nikon Monarch 6x42

Sightron S2 6x42

$350-$400

IOR 6x42

Leupold FX-3 6x42

There are also: Leupold FX-2 6x36 that hovers right around a $300 mark and a Weaver T6 in the same price range, and a few cheaper scopes the most respectable of which is a Weaver K6 6x38 (~$120).  I do not think that they offer any advantage over the scopes in the above categories except price for the Weaver.

At the top of the price hill are some german scopes like kahles but they will probably run you cose to $600.  Considering the alternatives, that's highway robbery, IMO.

In the $350-$400 range, IMO, IOR is a better scope than the FX-III.  Now, I have not played with FX-3, but I have played with VX-3 which has similar optical quality.  Maybe some who has compared the two side by side can chime in.  I am mostly going off of my experience with the two product lines, not from a direct comparison.

In the $200-$250 range I have actually seen all three of these scopes.  All three will offer comparable light transmission with Sightron having better resolution.  The prices are, I think, within $25 from each other.  Any one of the three will work just fine.  They are all durable and bright scopes.  You can't go wring with any one of them.  I'd go with a Sightron on the strength of better glass and adjustments.  I have had a number of Sightrons over the last few years and I currently have three in my posession and I've been very happy with them.

Ilya

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic