OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

questions about proper lens care....

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pass-thru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: questions about proper lens care....
    Posted: January/03/2010 at 16:40
Now that season is over, time to put the guns away.  I've noticed a few of my lens (nikon monarch scope and leupold range finder) have smudges, water marks from being out in the weather.  What is the best way to clean such lens?  I have a lens brush/dust remover, but this is beyond its effectiveness.  Is wiping down with a damp rag ok, or is it better to use some kind of solvent, special cloth?
HuntMaster View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HuntMaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/03/2010 at 17:04
I usually recommend the Zeiss-wipes. They can be found at your local pharmacy, or Wal-Mart.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/03/2010 at 17:06
Originally posted by HuntMaster HuntMaster wrote:

I usually recommend the Zeiss-wipes. They can be found at your local pharmacy, or Wal-Mart.
+1
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
trigger29 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
X = 180 Y = 90 (X+Pyro)+(Y-Pyro) = ?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/03/2010 at 17:07
The Zeiss wipes, and the lens pen I got from SWFA are all that touch my lenses.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/03/2010 at 17:23
Zeiss wipes are great. If you don't have time to wait for an order or they are not available in your area, most of the high quality lens cleaners with isopropyl alcohol will be safe. This are sold in many stores and eye care centers. Also mild soap and water works.
Like you already said, always remove any dust or dirt with a soft brush or bulb syringe first.
martin3175 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/03/2010 at 21:53

Stay away from ammonia based cleaners like windex..can damage lens coatings 

silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/04/2010 at 07:57
Use lense cleaner from the camera department or the eye glass department. Same with the lense cloth.
"If we weren't all crazy we, We would go insane."   Jimmie Buffet

WWW.formitch.com

SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/04/2010 at 09:26

I get the actual particles off with canned air then good lens cleaner then covers for the down time on all my scopes after ever shoot.

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/04/2010 at 09:40
lens pens are great, dont use them on 4200 elites when they are wet though, it will scratch the coatings.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/04/2010 at 12:02
If the lens gets scratched just sent the scope to Dan. He has a pressure cleaner that will make the lens so clear you will not know it was there.
Called the      .458 LOTT
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/04/2010 at 12:31
Laugh Above
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/05/2010 at 18:40
The training I received from B&L and A.O. for lab microscope maintenance cleaning taught the following:

1) Without touching the lense using squeeze bottle of warm DI water rinse lense to remove all debri, solids, etc.  Stuburn dirt or mud may 1st need to be soaked to loosen.

2) blow off excess water and contamination using canned air by pointing the nozzle of the  can across the edge of the lense starting at its cleanest spot and blowing toward the dirtiest.  Don't blow air straight into lense surface (perpendicular)or you have effectively just sand blasted the lense.  Also don't use the full force of the can regular it by finger pressure.

3) you may have to repeat steps 1 & 2 several times to remove all solids without scratches.

If after several attempts you fail to remove all solids then repeat steps 1 & 2 using a high quality lense cleaner formulated to be safe for optical coatings.  I use Kodak Proffesional lense cleaner.  I get it from a local A.O. microscope dealer in 1 liter bottles.  The cleaner contains additional surfacants That will help break the surface adhesive between the lense and the contaminates.  Again blow clear as much as possible without touching the lense.

4)  If any solids remain it is time to take the plunge....  Using a CLEAN Micro-fiber wipe and more lense cleaner, saturate the wipe and lense with cleaner then starting from the edge of the cleanest side of the lense, wipe in one straight light pressure wipe across the whole lense surface without pause or any rubbing action.  This may be repeated as necessary till all the contamination of removed or pulled to the very edge of the lense.  Make sure you keep the lense and wipe wet during all wiping!  You should never use the same part of the microfiber wipe one than once since is has picked up some solids that would be ground into the lense on the next wipe.  I usually fold the wipe down till it is the width of the lense I am cleaning and full length then I just back fold to present a clean part of the wipe to use for each swipe.

5)  The lense should be rinsed between all swipes to remove all fleshly loosened contamination and also rinsed with cleaner and blown off as a final rinse.

6)  After the final rinse is complete and excess moisture is blown off, if any water or cleaner beads remain they should be blown off is possible, if not... I cut a piece of lenses cleaning tissue available from any camera shop into strips the same width as the lense and likely swipe it across the lense surface to blot and remove residual moisture.  During this step i usually wear white cotton QC Inspectors gloves so as not to ruin my efforts with fingerprints.

I get the cotton gloves from either electronics suppliers like techni-tool or medical equip suppliers like Fisher Scientific or VWR.

I know this is extreme but it is one of the least harmful ways to clean the lenses without damage short of suspending the end of your scope and the dirty lense into an ultrasonic bath filled with lense cleaner.

Tedious but it does work!  Worst Microscope I ever PMed took 5 hours to get the FOV dirt and lint free at 400 & 600X!  They were used to inspect fiberoptic connector endfaces for submicron pitting and scratches.  LOL. it hurts to even reminisce about maintianing 55 of those scopes for 4 years!  Cool
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/05/2010 at 18:45
Good info, Bud!
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/05/2010 at 19:09
Big Grin  Tanx
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/05/2010 at 19:10
"this bud's for you"Excellent

They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic