OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

IOR 2.5-10

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote catt_tracker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: IOR 2.5-10
    Posted: January/02/2010 at 21:09
Has anyone had the chance to handle one one these yet?  I think it would be a great scope for a short barreled 308.

http://swfa.com/IOR-25-10x42-Tactical-30mm-Rifle-Scope-P44579.aspx
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/02/2010 at 22:51
I have not seen the version with new knobs yet, but I will make sure I check it out at SHOT.  I do have a fair amount of mileage on the original 2.5-10x42 and it is a nice scope.  I expect that when equipped with larger knobs, it will be even better.

ILya
catt_tracker View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote catt_tracker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/03/2010 at 07:12
That would be great.  Thanks
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote catt_tracker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/14/2010 at 18:35
Koshkin,
  Did you get a chance to look at this scope at SHOT? 
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/14/2010 at 18:38
The best I can tell, it is the same scope with new knobs.  I liked the knobs though.

ILya
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote catt_tracker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/14/2010 at 18:42
Thank You
cadiz View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cadiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/2010 at 08:44
koshkin, if you had a choice between the ior 2.5x10x42 and the nightforce 2.5x10x32 which would you prefer for an ar 15, i have been reading about them for weeks, but no one stocks them here so i can't compare them visually. actually anyone with some feedback would be great.  i sold my previous optics so i am back to irons until i sort this out.  
jonoMT View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/2010 at 10:40
cadiz,

I think the NF 2.5-10X32 is well-worth considering. The glass is plenty good and the tracking/reliability are awesome. My only complaints with mine is that I didn't get the zero-stop (because, unlike larger NXS models, there is no way to know if you've dialed more than one turn) and that I'd gone with mil turrets.
Reaction time is a factor...
cadiz View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cadiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/2010 at 11:32
it does seem like the better choice, have you looked at the FC-2 OR the Velocity reticule.  was hung up on wanting german glass but the nightforce is hard to turn down for same money.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/2010 at 14:18
Originally posted by cadiz cadiz wrote:

koshkin, if you had a choice between the ior 2.5x10x42 and the nightforce 2.5x10x32 which would you prefer for an ar 15, i have been reading about them for weeks, but no one stocks them here so i can't compare them visually. actually anyone with some feedback would be great.  i sold my previous optics so i am back to irons until i sort this out.  

A lot depends on the use, of course, but generally speaking, I'll take the IOR 2.5-10x42 over Nightforce 2.5-10x32 any day, especially with the new knobs.

Despite the smaller objective of the Nightforce, the two scopes weigh about the same.  Optically, IOR is generally better than Nighforce, and with a larger objective lens the advantage is even more pronounced, especially in low light.

Mechanically, Nightfore is absolutely superb.  However, IOR has been making the 2.5-10x42 for a very long time and all the bugs in this design have been worked out.  I have never seen one of these fail (aside from user error on old-style knobs: people seem to refuse to read the manual) and I have only heard of one or two failures from one of the dealers I asked about their reliability.

The only advantage that Nightforce has (other than bragging rights of owning a Nightforce scope) is the somewhat wider field of view at lower magnification.

ILya
cadiz View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cadiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/2010 at 15:48
thanks for the reply, i feel more confident about the ior, that was my first choice, but over the last few days i was leaning towards nightforce due to the positive posts on all forums.  
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/2010 at 15:56
Are the coatings worth the extra $$?

I'm looking at the same 2 scopes at the moment, and have always liked IOR's glass.

You like the new knobs because they are not capped or something else?
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/2010 at 18:48
Originally posted by Rancid Coolaid Rancid Coolaid wrote:

Are the coatings worth the extra $$?

I'm looking at the same 2 scopes at the moment, and have always liked IOR's glass.

You like the new knobs because they are not capped or something else?

Which coating are you referring to?

As far as the turrets go, I do not care much whether they are capped, but the new design has better click feel and works very reliably in my 3-18x42.  I think you also get more clicks per turn.

ILya

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/16/2010 at 09:14
I thought someone said there are new coatings on the new scopes, maybe not; with age, the memory goes first.

Yea, I liked the clicks on my 3-18 from many years ago (gen 1), and from my 4-14.

I did forget they improved the illumination, that alone makes the new one worth the price difference, if one really needs good illumination.
glock24 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote glock24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/16/2010 at 13:07

I have one that is about a month old and I love it.  It is up on the chopping block though as I want more magnification. PM me if you want the details.

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/16/2010 at 13:27
Originally posted by Rancid Coolaid Rancid Coolaid wrote:

I thought someone said there are new coatings on the new scopes, maybe not; with age, the memory goes first.

Yea, I liked the clicks on my 3-18 from many years ago (gen 1), and from my 4-14.

I did forget they improved the illumination, that alone makes the new one worth the price difference, if one really needs good illumination.

My Gen 1 is still running strong and I currently have it on 338Lapua.

The illumination is supposed to be dimmer on low settings.

ILya

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/16/2010 at 13:54
Yea, and the center dot is illuminated vs. the entire reticle.  That is an OK thing.
cadiz View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cadiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/16/2010 at 13:58
i would like to own that ior, but i have an ar 15 with a 16 inch barrel. i have 14 inches of rail, but i'm worried that it will overwhelm the rifle due to its physical size, am i wrong. the rifle is not used for hunting, i guess you could call it my shtf rifle.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/16/2010 at 14:14
Originally posted by cadiz cadiz wrote:

i would like to own that ior, but i have an ar 15 with a 16 inch barrel. i have 14 inches of rail, but i'm worried that it will overwhelm the rifle due to its physical size, am i wrong. the rifle is not used for hunting, i guess you could call it my shtf rifle.

For SHTF rifle, I would probably look for a low range variable of some sort:

ILya
cadiz View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cadiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/16/2010 at 14:33
i just sold my bushnell elite 4200 1.25-4 a couple days ago.  it was a good fit and i thought it was nice glass, but i want a little more magnification.  how much emphasis should be placed on illumination, i can afford a used swaro off samplelist(1.5-6x42) would that be disappointing on an ar15.  thx for the help
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic