OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

What scope to get???

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plm454 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What scope to get???
    Posted: January/02/2010 at 09:32
Hi all,
My first entry into bench rest type firearms as I have been busily buying class 3 the last few years.
I just bought a Savage 10FP and want to top it off with a SS scope. Only looking to spend $300-$400. I will be shooting this at 100-200 yds.
My questions are:
Which SS scope (10x40, 16x40 or 20x40)?
Any others comparable that you'd look at as well?
Millet tactical?
Thanks for all replies,
Pete 
Smarter than the average bear
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/02/2010 at 11:05

With what you are telling me I'd buy the 20x if it will only be used in full daylight or buy the 10x is there is a chance you will need to use it in the evening in lower light.  The 10FP is not a benchrest firearm it is a police sniper rifle but it could be used as a benchrest firearm. Benchrest guys typicaly have very high power optics and lots of sand bags. Cops need lower power optics and a bipod.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
plm454 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plm454 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/02/2010 at 11:16
MY mistake then, not into sand bags and that kind of stuff>>> my set up right not is a Savage 10FP, Harris S model 6-9" bipod, 1 piece moa Ken Farrell base and 1" rings with a Swift Premier 6-24x50mm scope.
The scope and rings were from my M1A platform below
Smarter than the average bear
Randall45 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randall45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/02/2010 at 16:34
A 6-24x50 scope would be a good scope to use on that rifle.
rjtfroggy View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rjtfroggy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/02/2010 at 17:15
You must have posted the wrong picture, my 10fp doesn't look anything like that.
 The 20x is a great scope for target on the model 10fp 308, or the m0del10fp 223, or the model 110fp 7mm, or how about the 112 vlp 25 06 just to name a few. The 3x9 ss is also a perfect match on the Bush Master Preditor.
froggy
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic