OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Varmint Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Finally bought a .223 / Need scope

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blsnelling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Finally bought a .223 / Need scope
    Posted: August/16/2005 at 21:21

I've been posting for about the last week looking for a scope.  I was looking to buy a .243 but bought a .223 instead, a Remington 700 BDL.  I've got a little less range with this rifle than the .243 so will go with a 4-16x scope and will listen to you guys wisdom and go with a 40-44mm objective.  After researching for another week, I'm now considering the following:

Nikon Monarch / 5.5-15x44 / Nikoplex / $390

Burris Signature Select / 4-16x44 / Ballistic Plex / Index-matched lens / $430

Bushnell Elite 4200 / 4-16x40 / Multi-X / $420

Please answer the following:

1.  Are all of these finger adjustable or not?  I believe they all are.

2.  Do they all have reliable repeatability?

3.  Do they all have enough adjustment for 400yds?

Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/18/2005 at 08:44
They are all finger adjustable as opposed to toe adjustable. The Nikon is my choice, hunter 1/4 click adjustments. But the Leo VXII 6X18 is more compact and a better scope than any of them. It is a mistake to think you need a lower range in your variable because you have less gun. Because the .223 can be held to tighter groups especially in a Remington you could take advantage of the higher powers far more than a 243. No scope brand regardless of expensive is safe from non repeatability. Each one must be tested and yourself assured that it is. To do this the scope must be put on a gun you know is already realiable. Then switch the scope to the new gun, you will then have confidence from the scope to know if the loads are off. New gun, new scope blame yourself, O well its a new hunting season and I'm sure I'll see this one a million times.
blsnelling View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blsnelling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/18/2005 at 11:52

Here's the links.

Scope Model--------------------------------Reticle---------------Length ---Weight------Eye Relief

Leupold Var-X II 6-18x40 $430----------Fine Duplex--------13.5"------15.8oz-------3.7"

Nikon Monarch 5.5-16.5x44 $390-------Nikoplex------------13.5"-----18.7oz--------3.3"

Burris Signature Select 4-16x44 $430-Ballistic Plex------15.5"------23 oz---------3.5"

Bushnell Elite 4200 4-16x40 $359-------Multi-X-------------14.4"-----18.6 oz-------3.5"

I can't stand all these option!  It's toooo much  Actually, I bought the rifle with a VXII 4-12x but plan on selling it for one with more reach.  With your recommendation, that reopens a whole other can of worms from my other thread about longer lens.  In it I mentioned the following scopes.

Scope Model----------------------------------Reticle---------------Length ---Weight------Eye Relief

Nikon 6.5-20x44 Monarch  $470 ---------Niko plex------------14.7"------20.8 oz------3.2"

Bushnell 6-24x40 Elite 4200  $400 -------Plex-----------------16.9"------20.2 oz------3.3"

Burris 6.5-20x50 Fullfield II  $400 --------Fine Plex -----------14.5"------19 oz---------3.1"

Burris 6-24x44 Signature Select  $465 -Fine Plex------------16.2"------23oz----------3.2"

sscoyote View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sscoyote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/18/2005 at 16:25
Send the Leupold in for a new ballistic/mil-dot reticle, and target elevation turret only, and use the windage stadia of whatever reticle u get for windage reference in the field--- IMO, that is. This way u can test both ballistic reticle, and turret comeups to see what u like better.
Steve
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blsnelling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/18/2005 at 18:23
Are you suggesting I have my existing 4-12 modified?  Wouldn't that be cost prohibitive especially since it's not the power I really need?
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blsnelling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/22/2005 at 11:32
Well, the search is over.  I went to the gun show Saturday and bought a scope.  The vendor had the Nikon Monarch and Elite 4200.  I went with the Elite 4200 4-16x40.  The Raingaurd is a nice plus.  I also looked at a Nikon Buckmaster.  Wow, what a difference.  The Elite 4200 has a much wider field of view than the others and is crystal clear.  The "black circle"  when looking through the scope is MUCH smaller on the Elite 4200.  It's basicaly just a thin ring where as some of the others was a thick circle of black.  I'm anxious to mount it and try it out.  I bought the rifle from out of state and it should arrive tomorrow.  This is my first center-fire rifle, so I'm quite excited.  BTW, I bought it NIB for $370 out the door!

Edited by blsnelling
Chris Farris View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/26/2005 at 16:33

I was just reading your other thread and now this one and just about to post all the reasons to go with the Elite 4-16....then I read the bad news that you bought it elsewhere.   We have to abide by Bushnell's minimum advertised price policy on line and in print.

I would have beat that price and saved ya tax but as usual I'm a day late and a dollar short.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic