OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Reloading & Ballistics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

What is Your Favorite Bullet?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/02/2010 at 08:41
I might try out the TTSXs in .30 cal, 168 gr. The tested BC is pretty close to that of the 165 gr. Accubond. I'm a little surprised that Barnes doesn't go any higher than 150 gr. for the TTSX in 7mm. I'd still recommend a heavier bullet for elk.
Reaction time is a factor...
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/02/2010 at 10:49
I load more Sierra Matchkings than anything else but I have always liked Nosler Partitions.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
338LAPUASLAP View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Scope Swapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 338LAPUASLAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/02/2010 at 21:00
Here is my quick 7 seconds Swift 140, 160 , 175 long distance game...you can guess which order for the calibers you listed... Lapua 160 Naturalis for any game at reasonable distances that you might be worried about...

Edited by 338LAPUASLAP - January/02/2010 at 21:01
No one
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/03/2010 at 08:47
.30 cal Lapua Naturalis in my 300 win mag and 308.  Nosler 69 gr Custom Competition in my 223.
Alan Robertson View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Robertson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/03/2010 at 09:57
You just have to love the selection of bullets available today.
I like every bullet in my considerable inventory except the real thin- skinned super- explosive types made for varmints as they can't be pushed to the higher velocities- I won't be buying more of those as the novelty factor isn't worth it.

After digging bullets out of berms fired at different ranges, it seems as though the non- bonded boat tails from every mfg. will shed the cores at closer ranges while the flat base bullets generally do not. The flat based bullets hold together better... haven't any experience w/bonded- core boat tails, though.

Being a .30 cal fan, I've run .311/.312 bullets through Lee .308 swaging dies to get bullet configurations unavailable in .30, most notably Remington Core-Lokt .311 180gr.  round nose and Hornady .312 174gr. round nose.
The Core-Lokt bullets are tough stuff and effective under just about any circumstance... it's a shame they aren't priced at a discount like they used to be.
"Garg'n uair dhuisgear"
magshooter1 View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote magshooter1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/04/2010 at 13:38
Barnes TSX, Nosler Accubond, Hornady Interbond
Some people are educated BEYOND their intelligence.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/04/2010 at 15:25
Originally posted by sakomato sakomato wrote:

However I would not hesitate to use a regular TSX in .308 and larger or a TTSX in the smaller calibers.  I had 2 failures in TSX's in 270 caliber on hogs where I aimed for the vitals behind the shoulder.  This 270 was very accurate and I was running it very hot anyway in both cases I took the shot and had a lot of tracking with blood at shoulder level on grass stems until the trail petered out and died.  I can only surmise that the TSX blew through without opening.  I do not think the same thing would have happened with the TTSX.

The highlighted portion above was probably part of the problem.  The vitals on a hog are further forward, directly beneath the shoulder.  If you shot behind the shoulder, where the vitals of a deer are, you probably got the back of the lungs only, maybe only 1 lung.  It's certainly a fatal shot, but a hog will often run a great distance when shot there.

Secondly, hogs are just plain tough.  I've shot them will numerous bullets out of at least 10 different rifle calibers, and regardless of what I shoot them with, they seldom drop right where you hit them.  They can run amazing distances after being hit!  The only shot I've found that will consistently anchor them DRT is a head or spine shot. 

On the bullet question, I'm a huge fan of Accubonds as well.  It has pretty much become my preferred deer and hog bullet, as much for the accuracy I get with them as terminal performance.  I think they are great "compromise" bullets, with reasonably good expansion and reasonably good penetration.  They won't outpenetrate TSX / TTSX simply because they expand to greater frontal area, which is better for deer, where extreme penetration isn't needed.  I also like the TTSX, and much prefer it to the regular TSX since it seems to expand more easily while still retaining its mass.  Sako is correct that the TSX / TTSX doesn't foul any more than any other bullet.  The original X-bullet did have a problem with fouling, but Barnes added the grooves on the outside of the TSX and TTSX bullets to reduce the bearing surface, which both reduces pressures and fouling.

As much as anything else, I base my bullet choice on what shoots well out of my rifles while still being a sensible choice for the animal I intend to hunt.  Luckily, I've had good accuracy results from both Accubonds and TTSXs.

Edited by RifleDude - January/04/2010 at 15:25
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/05/2010 at 19:42
I really like the Hornady Interbonds and Interlocks.  Shot my elk this year at 430 yards with the interlocks.  Total passthrough.  Not a fan of the SSTs.  Too explosive for me.  Accubonds are nice as well.
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
JF4545 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JF4545 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/06/2010 at 00:02
Thunbs Up
BillyWayne View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BillyWayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/06/2010 at 07:13
I use Sierra GameKings in all my guns.  I am an accuracy nut and these always have been very consistent.  I also have some Nosler Partitions loaded.  I use Nosler BT 55g in 243 because I can get 4000fps.  I have thought about using the Barnes TTSX and Hornady GMX but was a bit hesistant.  But I have come to trust you guys and your opinions.  I may give them a "shot." 
John 11:35
The're taking the hobbits to Isengard!!
Sandracer View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sandracer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2010 at 07:53
I have killed a pile of elk in my 61 years with just about all of the old and new bullets. I used the 180 Accubond this year and last year too to kill my bulls. They kill well as do most of the others, but the Hornady interlocks have done me well on lots of bulls. The interlocks are cheap, accurate and have never failed me in both deer and elk! You pay a lot more for the new wiz-bangs in monolithic and the bonded, but if it ain't broke you don't need to fix it!
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2010 at 08:29
I am a Sierra Gameking man. They are accurate and have good terminal effects.
Tried all the other stuff on and off. Solids or monlithics on soft skinned antelope is a no-go for me. I tried them on one hunt and ended up punching holes through game, in stead of killing them.
200gr Nosler Partitions gave me horrible inacurracy, so I tossed them out.

On target shooting I use a local crib of the Sierra Matchking, simply for cost benefits.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2010 at 08:31
Originally posted by 8shots 8shots wrote:

Tried all the other stuff on and off. Solids or monlithics on soft skinned antelope is a no-go for me. I tried them on one hunt and ended up punching holes through game, in stead of killing them.

On target shooting I use a local crib of the Sierra Matchking, simply for cost benefits.

i hear you man ive been shooting and reloading with sierra bullets for 20+yrs!!
i will say that the new accubonds are much more inherently accurate than the partitions are.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
trigger29 View Drop Down
X = 180 Y = 90 (X+Pyro)+(Y-Pyro) = ?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2010 at 16:10
Originally posted by pyro6999 pyro6999 wrote:

Originally posted by 8shots 8shots wrote:

i hear you man ive been shooting and reloading with sierra bullets for 20+yrs!!
ShockedShockedShocked
Hunter, you are not even 30 yet!! How old were you when you started reloading?

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2010 at 16:12
Startin' young
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2010 at 16:13
i started at age 8, my grand dad got me going on it, he had three presses in his basement. i started out doing case prep work (which i why i hate it so much today) and after i while i started priming cases then it wasnt long and i was doing it all.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
trigger29 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2010 at 16:17
Overachiever............

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2010 at 16:18
im just glad i did it, because he died about 4yrs later of a heart attack and nobody saw it coming, not even his doctors.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
trigger29 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2010 at 16:39
Good that you got to spend the time with him while he was here.

Longhunter View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Longhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2010 at 17:05
Speer 165 grain Hot-Cors have worked perfectly on deer and antelope out of my .30-06.  A Nosler 250 grain partition out of my .338 Win Mag stopped my 8' 3" brown bear very nicely with a DRT shot.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic