OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Reloading & Ballistics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

What is Your Favorite Bullet?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JF4545 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What is Your Favorite Bullet?
    Posted: December/31/2009 at 23:55
I'm new to reloading, I hunt Deer & Elk, so I like to use the same bullet on both. This way my rifles will always shoot the same and I'm not messing with POI a couple times a year. My primary interests in bullets have been the Nosler Accubond and the Barnes TTSX or TSX. Some bullets that just really got my attention tonight as I was on the Hornady site is the Hornady Interbond, SST and GMX, although the GMX requires fairly high velocities to open properly. Killing Deer is really no big deal, most soft point bullets can accomplish it accurately. But what is your most potent and accurate Elk bullet? and if you do not hunt Elk, What is your favorite bullet for shooting Big Hogs? or Bear?.     Thanks Guys!! I appreciate your input!!!   JF

Edited by JF4545 - January/01/2010 at 00:17
billyburl2 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/01/2010 at 01:34
My only experience with taking an elk was with a 180gr Sierra Gameking out of a 30-06. While Gamekings don't have the best reputation on heavier game, they worked very good for me. IMO, while very limited, the most important thing is being able to hit where your aiming in all conditions. After that is just a matter of physics.YMMV
If it is tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
sakomato View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sakomato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/01/2010 at 02:05
Hey Julio

What caliber?
Guns only have 2 enemies, rust and politicians
JF4545 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JF4545 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/01/2010 at 02:40
Smile     7mm-08, 270wsm, 7mm Mag.
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/01/2010 at 03:59
Swift A-frame and Nosler Partition have always been my bullet of choice (30.06 & 7mm).

Living in California I know my " go to" days are numbers so I've been researching into switching to some sort of TTSX type bullet for a couple of years now. Since there've been many new bullets coming down the pipe since the introduction of the TSX, I'm still on the fence as to which one to pick. I'll will let you know in about six months. Big Smile

Edited by mike650 - January/01/2010 at 21:47
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
sakomato View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sakomato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/01/2010 at 08:06
Originally posted by JF4545 JF4545 wrote:

7mm-08 - 140 gr TTSX
270WSM - 140 gr Accubond
7 mag - 160 gr Accubond
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/01/2010 at 09:47
when i hunted elk living in wyoming all i ever used was sierra game king. we never lost any elk from .243 to 300win mag. now a days i wouldnt be affraid to take them after elk again. i would choose the accubonds for todays choices.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
ckk1106 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ckk1106 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/01/2010 at 09:59
I've had good luck on elk with both the 150 grain nosler partition and the 140 grain barnes TSX out of my 270 win.  I will probably stick with the TSX, though.  The exit wound seemed small with the partition.
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/01/2010 at 10:35
I use Sierra Game Kings and Trophy Bonded Bear Claws. SGK's in everything and the BC's I have for 7RM and .375 H&H. The Bear Claws shoot close to where the Game Kings do.
Texas View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Texas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/01/2010 at 16:29
I'm sitting in a deer blind in west Texas with a 375H&H with 270TSX loads in the magazine because I can, but...

sakomato nailed it for you. I might change the 7mm-08 load to 140 Accubonds also, though. In any event, TSXs or Accubonds will perform well, just shoot the ones your rifle likes. I killed a 6x7 elk outside of Marathon, Tx last month with my 280AI and I can assure you the 160 Accubond was adequate. Complete passthrough both shoulders. He was DRT, no flop, just folded up and fell down dead. About 175 yards.

I like Accubonds.

Texas
"There are some things which cannot be learned quickly and time, which is all we have, must be paid heavily for their acquiring. They are the very simplest things..." Ernest Hemingway
jonoMT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/01/2010 at 16:36
In .308 Win, I've used the 165 gr. Accubond as an all-around combination of relatively decent BC and velocity. It has worked great on antelope and deer - never requiring a follow-up shot or ruining meat. Of course, shot placement is key to that as well. On elk it has been a good round but sometimes required a second shot. At really close ranges, they do not open up but according to the Nosler rep I know, he says even Partitions don't at that range.

Given the smaller diameter on the 7-08 I'd try the 160 Accubond or 175 gr. Partition. You'll want some heft for elk and the higher BCs will make help with wind and impact energy.
Reaction time is a factor...
swtucker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swtucker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/01/2010 at 17:00
Nosler Accubonds....are great bullets.
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/01/2010 at 17:05
I use hornady a sierras almost exclusively, I haven't encountered a problem yet with a cup/core bullet.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
JF4545 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JF4545 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/01/2010 at 20:33
Originally posted by lucytuma lucytuma wrote:

I use hornady a sierras almost exclusively, I haven't encountered a problem yet with a cup/core bullet.

Hi Jeff, What style of Hornady do you use and for what do you use them?

The very first loads I ever loaded for Deer were the Sierra BT's and they worked great. Im just talking abot bigger game mostly, although I will use the Elk loads for Deer as well. You can shoot a Deer in the lungs with anything and not bloodshot any meat....

Although I already have a bunch of Barnes TTSX, I think Im gonna stick to the Nosler Accubonds. Ive been reading alot on the net and I have yet to hear one negative thing about the Accubonds. The only bad thing I hear about the TSX or TTSX(same thing) is that a barrel tends to foul using the solid copper. I really do not want to mess with that problem so I think the Accubond is the way to go...I want to just have one load for each rifle and keep it simple. Thats once I find the best load for them. Ive got 3 rifles in the shop getting braked, one getting painted flat black, one getting a trigger job and the other two having there triggers adjusted....
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/01/2010 at 21:07
I use the SSt's and Interlocks, though I must add that I normally choose a heavy bullet for caliber if hunting anything larger than deer.  I also use appropriate caliber for game and do what I can to make sensible shots. 
 To me this "bullet craze" is getting out of control, very simular to the 1000 camo patterns we have to choose from.   Yes, the new bullets are good, but they don't make up for poor shot placement any better than great camo makes up for poor scent control.

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
trigger29 View Drop Down
X = 180 Y = 90 (X+Pyro)+(Y-Pyro) = ?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/01/2010 at 21:10
I like the Accubond as well, but I'm also of the school of "use what works for you." I think that if you use what shoots accurately, and you feel comfortable shooting, and you have confidence in, you will be fine. I think if people put as much thought as to where to put the bullet as they did what bullet to use, there would be fewer wounded animals out there. Not to say bullets don't fail, but the majority of the time, if you put the bullet where it belongs, it will do it's job.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/01/2010 at 21:27
Ten years ago we didn't have accubond, gmx, tsx, interbond, scirocco2, xp3, tssx or E-tip. It's still a mystery how we harvested anything?

Edited by lucytuma - January/01/2010 at 21:27
sakomato View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sakomato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/01/2010 at 23:39

Originally posted by lucytuma lucytuma wrote:

Hi Jeff, What style of Hornady do you use and for what do you use them?

The very first loads I ever loaded for Deer were the Sierra BT's and they worked great. Im just talking abot bigger game mostly, although I will use the Elk loads for Deer as well. You can shoot a Deer in the lungs with anything and not bloodshot any meat....

Although I already have a bunch of Barnes TTSX, I think Im gonna stick to the Nosler Accubonds. Ive been reading alot on the net and I have yet to hear one negative thing about the Accubonds. The only bad thing I hear about the TSX or TTSX(same thing) is that a barrel tends to foul using the solid copper. I really do not want to mess with that problem so I think the Accubond is the way to go...I want to just have one load for each rifle and keep it simple. Thats once I find the best load for them. Ive got 3 rifles in the shop getting braked, one getting painted flat black, one getting a trigger job and the other two having there triggers adjusted....

Hey Julio, the Accubonds are indeed a fine bullet.  But don't steer away from the TTSX's because of copper fouling.  Excessive copper fouling is a residual rumor left over from the original Barnes X bullets which were foulers.  I have shot a lot of TSX's.  Used to save the plastic boxes believing I would find some use for them eventually.  When I finally decided to throw them away there was a box of 27 TSX boxes and that was 3 or 4 years ago.  TSX's do not copper foul any more than regular cup and core or gilding metal jacketed bullets.

What I would steer away from is using a TSX in a small caliber, let's say <.284".  The reason is the hollow point in the smaller calibers is too small IMO and is often partially occluded with detritus

338, 308, 284, 277, 6.5

Now the TTSX is different because the hollow point behind the blue tip is significantly larger as evidenced by this pic of a 338 TSX and 338 TTSX with the tip broken off

However I would not hesitate to use a regular TSX in .308 and larger or a TTSX in the smaller calibers.  I had 2 failures in TSX's in 270 caliber on hogs where I aimed for the vitals behind the shoulder.  This 270 was very accurate and I was running it very hot

anyway in both cases I took the shot and had a lot of tracking with blood at shoulder level on grass stems until the trail petered out and died.  I can only surmise that the TSX blew through without opening.  I do not think the same thing would have happened with the TTSX.
JF4545 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JF4545 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/02/2010 at 00:14

Bob,

I think you mentioned the TSX Hollow Point being to small to me awhile back, or perhaps I read it somewhere. It does not matter as I sent all the unopened boxes of TSX bullets back to Midway. Then I replaced them with TTSX, just because of this issue....Its really good to know that there is no truth to the copper fouling problem as well...From everything Ive read, these are 2 of the best bullets so why not use them. I think your right, this fall I shot a buck at 150 yards using the TSX 140gr. in a box of Federal I bought. The bullet went exactly where I wanted to place it which was behind the shoulder thru both lungs. I did not find the bullet, although I do not believe the bullet expanded in the soft tissue. The exit hole was very small and the Deer stumbled about 150' down the hill to me and fell dead about 25' away....I think these bullets are more of an Elk bullet meant to blow through bone...They are a very tough bullet....Thanks Bob, you are always very helpful!Smile

Edited by JF4545 - January/02/2010 at 10:21
Trays 7940 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trays 7940 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/02/2010 at 06:25
Originally posted by sakomato sakomato wrote:

7mm-08 - 140 gr TTSX
270WSM - 140 gr Accubond
7 mag - 160 gr Accubond
+1  I use Accubonds on every hunting rifle I have.  My brother just took an elk with his 7mm Mag and the 160gr Accubonds bullets I made for him. Excellent

I don't shoot innocent animals, just the one's who look guilty.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic