OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - the best scopes with illuminated reticle <=$1,500
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

the best scopes with illuminated reticle <=$1,500

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rkrasnic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: the best scopes with illuminated reticle <=$1,500
    Posted: December/30/2009 at 21:49
Could anybody give me a ranking of let's say the top 5/10 scopes that have illuminated reticles and objective lenses not smaller than 50mm for less than $1,500?  What our experts would recommend here? thanx
Spreading knowledge to masses
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/30/2009 at 22:07
In no particular order:

Trijicon Accupoint 2.5-10x56
Sightron S3 3.5-10x56
IOR Valdada 4-14x50 and 4-14x56
Burris XTR 3-12x50
Meopta Meostar 3-12x56

ILya
1911man View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1911man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/30/2009 at 22:22
In order of low light performance

Trijicon Accupoint 2.5-10x56 green dot/crosshair
Burris Fullfield Euro 30 3.5-10x50
Bushnell 4200 Elite 2.5-10x50

Bill Wilson
www.wilsoncombat.com
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/30/2009 at 23:19
Trijicon Accupoint 2.5-10x56
Trijicon Accupoint 5-20x50 with tactical knobs
This of course doesnt really give us enough info to really tell you what will work best for your particular need.  There are many factors that can radically alter what scope should be selected.  Is it hunting use or is it tactical use. If its tactical use what distance are involved. If its hunting use what type of hunting stalking or from a stand and there again what distance to target.  There are lots of high end scopes that have illumination. Heinsoldt, Premier, S&B,  Zeiss, Swarovski and the list goes on.  Also you did specify 50 mm but wihtout knowing distance which suggest power range we dont know if thats really right because this 1.5-6x42 wouldnt be any brighter with at 50mm objective because the 42 divided by 6x givea a 7mm exit eye pupil = birght as it gets.  
9181 Swarovski 1.5-6x42 Professional Hunter 57028, Matte finish, Illuminated Circle Dot reticle, 30mm tube, fast focus shock absorbing eye piece, resettable windage & elevation, like new condition $1,449.95

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/30/2009 at 23:33
Leupold 6.5-20x50 Mark 4 LR/T 30mm Riflescope Illuminated TMR Leupold 6.5-20x50 Mark 4 LR/T 30mm Riflescope
Stock # - LEU60075
  • Matte
  • Illuminated Tactical Milling Reticle
  • 30mm
  • Side Focus
  • M1 Target Knobs
  • Free Leupold Flip-Open Lens Covers
$1,429.95 
Leupold 8.5-25x50 Mark 4 LR/T 30mm Riflescope Illuminated TMR Leupold 8.5-25x50 Mark 4 LR/T 30mm Riflescope
Stock # - LEU61990
  • Matte
  • 30mm
  • Side Focus
  • M1 Target Knobs
  • Metric
$1,579.95 
Leupold 4.5-14x50 Mark 4 LR/T 30mm Riflescope Illuminated TMR Leupold 4.5-14x50 Mark 4 LR/T 30mm Riflescope
Stock # - LEU60000
  • Matte
  • 30mm
  • Side Focus
  • M1 Target Knobs
$1,329.95 
Add Leupold 4.5-14x50 Mark 4 LR/T 30mm Riflescope to Cart 
IOR 4-14x50 Tactical 30mm Rifle Scope Illuminated MP-8 Dot IOR 4-14x50 Tactical 30mm Rifle Scope
Stock # - 414530
  • Matte
  • Illuminated MP-8 Dot
  • 30mm
  • Exposed Knobs
  • Side Focus
$1,224.95 
Add IOR 4-14x50 Tactical 30mm Rifle Scope to Cart 
IOR 6-24x50 Tactical 35mm Rifle Scope Illuminated MP-8 Dot IOR 6-24x50 Tactical 35mm Rifle Scope
Stock # - 642502
  • Matte
  • Illuminated MP-8 Dot
  • 35mm
  • Exposed Knobs
  • Side Focus
  • Free IOR 35mm High Rings w/ Purchase
  • Free Sun Shade w/ Purchase
$1,594.95
Add IOR 6-24x50 Tactical 35mm Rifle Scope to Cart 
Trijicon 2.5-10x56 Accu-Point 30mm Rifle Scope Mil-Dot Crosshair w/ Green Dot Trijicon 2.5-10x56 Accu-Point 30mm Rifle Scope
Stock # - TR222G
  • Matte
  • Mil-Dot Crosshair w/ Green Dot
  • 30mm
$806.95

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
338LAPUASLAP View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Scope Swapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 338LAPUASLAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/30/2009 at 23:41

MARK IV ON THIS......

No one
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/31/2009 at 00:18
Originally posted by 338LAPUASLAP 338LAPUASLAP wrote:

MARK IV ON THIS......

Problem is we dont know if its a hunting scope if it is the Trijicon 2.5-10x56 would be a better choice - no tactical knobs to snag on brush.

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/31/2009 at 07:07

For illuminated first thing that pops in my mind and recommendation would be the Trijicon, not batteries and always on.  Plus quality optics and great name.

rkrasnic View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rkrasnic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/31/2009 at 12:21
It is supposed to be a hunting scope for shooting at distances no bigger than 200 yards. The size of the scope is not an issue, just the brightness and illuminated reticles are a must. 
rkrasnic View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rkrasnic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/31/2009 at 12:28
As to the size of the objective, I figured using big one (>=50mm) with smaller magnification would give as much light as possible.I am not sure if that is the right way to think about it since a lot of the light wouldn't be absorbed by an eye (56/6=9mm). Also I hunt at night, that is why the size of the objective lens mattered to me . A lot of people here suggest Trijcon; they seem to be great scopes but what is their optics quality (compared to let's say Conquest) and durability?
ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/31/2009 at 12:42
do you care about weight?

I did a test 2 weeks ago between my Kahles CL 3-10x50 and an Accupoint 3-9x40 (mildot with green reticle)

both scopes would have allowed me to take deer out to 200 yards (easily) well past 30 minutes past sunset on a dark no moon light night

the 56mm Trijicon is going to be a tad brighter but a lot heavier

so, do you sit in a blind mostly or walk a lot?

Edited by ccoker - December/31/2009 at 12:43
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/31/2009 at 13:08
Originally posted by rkrasnic rkrasnic wrote:

As to the size of the objective, I figured using big one (>=50mm) with smaller magnification would give as much light as possible.I am not sure if that is the right way to think about it since a lot of the light wouldn't be absorbed by an eye (56/6=9mm). Also I hunt at night, that is why the size of the objective lens mattered to me . A lot of people here suggest Trijcon; they seem to be great scopes but what is their optics quality (compared to let's say Conquest) and durability?

ERROR >>>=====>  56mm divided by 7mm (maximum the human eye can use for a young man in good healt - decreases at you get older)    56 divided by 7 = 8 power so a 56mm objective will have a 7mm exit eye pupil at 8 power and a 5.6mm exit eye pupil at 10x which is pretty darn bright for a 10x scope.
Under 200 yds you dont need tactical knobs.  Your ideal scope would be one of the
Trijicon 2.5-10x56 and the reticle selection offers posts in red amber and green or crosshairs in amber or green or mil dot in amber or green.
Green appears brighter to the human eye according to Koshkin who knows more about optics than God.  And "1911 man" is Bill Wilson of Wilson Combat so his experience and opinion is certainly of great value and I beleive he suggested the green crosshair as well. 

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/31/2009 at 13:12
Trijicon optics quality is very good and as for durability if the Marine Corp cant break them you dont stand a chance of being able to.

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/31/2009 at 13:14
I would say Bill has a fair bit of hunting under his belt :)

spend some time here!
http://www.circlewcranch.com

http://www.wilsoncombat.com/h_hog3.asp

the handsome guy at the bottom is me with a Trijicon scope :)

Edited by ccoker - December/31/2009 at 13:15
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/31/2009 at 13:20
Personally, I don't think a 56mm objective scope does anything for you that a 42mm or 50mm objective scope of the same optical quality will do unless you are using magnification past 7X or 8X.  I own and have used both illuminated and non illuminated scopes of all objective sizes from 24mm to 56mm and all quality levels from bargain basement scopes to the finest scopes humans can build.  There are a few things I am absolutely convinced of where good illuminated scopes for low light are concerned:

1.  Get quality optics.  Good optics and the right coatings are at least as important to low light performance, often more so, than how large the objective bell is.
2.  With few exceptions, the truly good, useful illuminated scopes are usually expensive.
3.  Illumination on an inexpensive scope is usually a useless gimmick.
4.  Too much illumination is worse than no illumination at all because it causes your iris to close, impairing your vision at night, and it flares out the target in the scope image.
5.  Few companies actually know how to do illuminated reticles right. 

Bushnell and Burris are examples of companies who do a reasonably good job of combining lit reticles in reasonably priced scopes.
The Trijicon Accupoints are very good illuminated scopes with a very innovative battery-free illumination system, above average optics, and good light transmission.
Zeiss, Swarovski, and Schmidt & Bender and several other premium brands offer well designed illumination systems and great optics to go with it, but they are all well above your price limit for new scopes.

To me, the best bang for your buck in a lit reticle scope is with the Trijicon Accupoint.  It won't quite deliver the low light optical performance of the uber premium scopes, but it's pretty darn good and its illumination system takes a backseat to nothing!

While on the topic, even though it is convenient to have a battery-free illumination system, I think way too much is made of this selling point personally.  With battery powered illumination systems, if the battery dies, the worst thing that can happen is you have a conventional scope that is still just as usable as any other non-illuminated scope.  Buy another inexpensive battery and you're back in business.  You can always carry a spare battery, and many scopes even have a compartment for a spare inside the windage cap.  The wafer style watch batteries that are used provide a reasonably long life.  These types of batteries are not prone to leakage, unlike typical cylindrical alkaline batteries.  Battery powered illumination systems are not electronically complex, so they are very reliable.  Finally, the presence of the illumination controls does not impair the waterproofness of the scope (on a good scope).

The main advantages I see to the Trijicon system are threefold.  Once you set the intensity you prefer with the fiber optics cover, reticle brightness is self regulating by the amount of ambient light, so as light gets dimmer, so does reticle illumination, which is exactly what you want.  The Trijicon system doesn't have any external protruding switches/knobs to operate the illumination to snag on stuff.  Finally, it's always "on," so you don't have to think about it.

Edited by RifleDude - December/31/2009 at 13:28
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/31/2009 at 13:59
well said

your fingers must be tired :)
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/31/2009 at 14:29
Spot on, Ted.

ILya
rkrasnic View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rkrasnic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/01/2010 at 17:56
Guys, all this information is GREAT! I truly enjoy reading your opinions. Once again thank you to all of you optics experts here!! 
Randall45 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randall45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/02/2010 at 16:43
The Weaver Classic Extreme 2.5-10x56 illuminated dot is a very good performer in low light.The glass is crystal clear and has a side focus.This scope is a little on the heavy side but is built strong.I would also consider the Docter 3-12x56 very well made German scope that I feel is under rated here in the U.S.A. I traveled to Europe and this is a very popular scope that is used hunting wild boar at night.The Bushnell Elite 4200 2.5-10x50 illuminated reticle is a good scope.Sightron S3 is also another good low light scope.I like all mentioned scopes but feel the Docter is made with better lenses that compare to the higher end Euro scopes.    

Edited by Randall45 - January/02/2010 at 17:09
ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/02/2010 at 22:17
the Weaver CL X 2.5-10x56 is a very bright and clear scope
I just found it to have some bloom to the dot hunting at night

I think Trijicon's tritium dot works better
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic