OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Recommended Zoom Range?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jettubby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Recommended Zoom Range?
    Posted: December/30/2009 at 11:50
Hello. Yes I'm a newbe to the forum but not to shooting. In the process of looking for a scope for a new Savage FCK-P in .308.
Uses:
- Varmint & large game hunting
- Handload testing and target shooting out and upto 1000m

I'm compiling a list of candidates but not having shot beyond the 500m range with any seriousness [yet]. For those of  you that live routinely out in that range what scope range do you recommend for this work? I really like the SS 3-9x42 mil scope from what I've researched but cautious about 9x working well out to 1000m.

Thanks for all the useful info here. I enjoy the reading.
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/30/2009 at 11:58

You can (if you, "can") ring 12" plates at a grand with a 10x.  If you are strickly using this for long range the higher the mag the better.  Even the fixed SS20x would be good.  Do you want a variable or what specifics are you looking for? Budget?  What do you think the minimal ranges you would shot with this? 20x ain't going to be that great for close targets <1-200yds.

Jettubby View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jettubby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/30/2009 at 13:16
Originally posted by SVT_Tactical SVT_Tactical wrote:

You can (if you, "can") ring 12" plates at a grand with a 10x.  If you are strickly using this for long range the higher the mag the better.  Even the fixed SS20x would be good.  Do you want a variable or what specifics are you looking for? Budget?  What do you think the minimal ranges you would shot with this? 20x ain't going to be that great for close targets <1-200yds.

I haven't worked out at a grand yet but don't want to get a scope now that is limiting at that range. With yote and deer hunting I'd be mostly in the 200-400yrd range. With target shooting 200yrds - a grand. I'd stick with variable as close in work would be tough with a long fixed. Budget is under $1K preferably in the $500-$800 range but if I find something I really like, I have ~wiggle~ room. Minimal range would be 100-200yrds.
Jettubby View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jettubby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/30/2009 at 13:18
Originally posted by SVT_Tactical SVT_Tactical wrote:

Chapel Hill eh? Used to live there a few years ago. I'm Tarheel through and through. Wouldn't say that to my uncle to played ball for Duke though. Big Grin Thanks for the help.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/30/2009 at 13:22
For ultimate versatility, I would look at Bushnell Elite 6500 2.5-16x42 with MilDot and tall knobs.

However, if you plan to  range with the reticle, FFP makes it much easier and Variable Super Sniper is the way to go.

ILua
jonoMT View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/30/2009 at 13:30
Check out the Vortex PSTs too. There's going to be a wait, but they might solve the one limitation of the SS 3-9X...the 9X max. magnification. The rub is in finding a scope that allows you to shoot both far and near, for a reasonable price. The main scope I hunt with, I leave on 2.5 unless there is some shot that warrants more magnification.
Reaction time is a factor...
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/30/2009 at 13:43
Originally posted by Jettubby Jettubby wrote:

Chapel Hill eh? Used to live there a few years ago. I'm Tarheel through and through. Wouldn't say that to my uncle to played ball for Duke though. Big Grin Thanks for the help.

I don't know if i would go aruond telling people that about your uncle, lol  Yeah my wife goes to UNC and then we will move back to the coast.
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/30/2009 at 14:52
getting a rifle/scope combination for testing loads to 1000 yds, is a project by itself , even when the load is "known" to be 1000 yd. friendly. Perhaps you should decide which side of the variable you want to be on, then go from there. 15x is a good working area around 1000 yds, without  to much a sacrifice at the low end, if you hunt witha low around 6x then 32x on the top is even better.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic