OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rimfire / Airgun
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Rimfire scope questions

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pcgod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rimfire scope questions
    Posted: December/30/2009 at 11:39
I am going to purchase a Ruger 77/22 in 22lr. I will need to scope the rifle and only have an old Nikon 2x7 scope that is currently my backup scope for my 30/06. This scope has a standard parallax setting.

While I think the old Nikon may do for a while, I noticed SFWA has a BSA sweet 22 on closeout for 39.95. I want to know if this is worth buying or will I be really dissapointed.

My options as I see them is to use what I have and deal with any parallax issues, buy the BSA and hope it works out, or wait several months and buy a better rimfire scope.

I will be plinking with the rifle at 50 yds and shooting 2.5 in plates as well as the occasional squirrel hunting foray.

Let me know your thoughts.
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/30/2009 at 11:43
TID=21093&KW=bsahttp://opticstalk.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=21093&KW=bsa

Check this post out.  It may help.
Good luck
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/30/2009 at 12:25
Regarding parallax and the 2-7; if 2.5" plates and plinking are your concern I don't think you have anything to worry about. I use big game scopes on .22's for squirrel and don't have a problem with parallax. It does come into play if the magnifications are high and the targets are small, though.
My 22/77 Magnum had the Leupold 3.5-10 EFR on 6x and parallax set  @ 100 yards. The tree rat was taken cleanly 60 feet up in an oak tree.
Of course, there is nothing wrong with buying a new scope and for $40 bucks the BSA has a lot of features for a rimfire scope.
GetSome View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GetSome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/30/2009 at 15:25
I have the BSA 3-9x40 on my Ruger 10/22 and I am pretty happy with it.  The turrets work great and I am able to bust clays at 100 yards and have it track back down to 50 with no problems (never really tried anything farther  than 100).  For the 40 dollar price tag I would try this out for sure....I think I paid $80 for mine.  Yes the glass is far from the best but works fine for 100 yard shots. 
sholling View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sholling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/31/2009 at 02:26
I think you'd probably be happier with a Weaver RV7 2.5-7x28 Rimfire. 
NRA, SAF, & CRPA life member
Member Madison Society & Revolutionary War Veteran Association (Project Appleseed)

Old age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill. ;)
slodancr View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slodancr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/31/2009 at 23:12
I would spend some time scouring the sample list. you can find really good scopes that are very suited to what you need, and maybe cheap enough to entice you away from that BSA. my experience with another scope in the BSA line soured me.  Friends don't let friends buy BSA.
"None but an armed nation can dispense with a standing army. To keep ours armed and disciplined is therefore at all times important." - Thomas Jefferson
RONK View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/01/2010 at 08:11
 I have a conventional Leupold  2-7 on my .22. I'd prefer a scope that were designed with parallax corrected for 50 yards, but it works fine as is as Taqua mentions in relating his experience. I routinely shoot dime-sized groups at 50 yards, so it works well.
  I think your Nikon will work better than a new BSA.
 Save up and get the Weaver or Leupold  rimfire model of your choice when you can afford to, (if you even want to anymore after using the Nikon). 
pcgod View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pcgod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/01/2010 at 10:19
Thanks to all.

Well, I decided to just use the Nikon I have.
However, I found a used (excellent shape) Ruger 77/22 rifle and the owner wanted to sell the scope that is on it with the gun. The scope that is coming with it is a Leupold 2x7 Rimfire Special. The total cost of the gun is a bit more than I wanted to spend due to the scope but it makes any parallax questions moot.

Does anyone hav a opinion of this Leuplod scope?
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/01/2010 at 10:30
The Leupold rimfire scopes are fine. It sounds like you have a very nice package. The 2-7 is a nice trim scope that fits the 77/22 perfectly.
I find the reticles too thin for the hunting I do in thick cover and low light, but that's just my case.

Doug
satchvet View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote satchvet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/12/2010 at 14:13
What reticle is on the Leupold 2-7 rimfire?
Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/2010 at 16:46
fwiw... I have had good luck with Simmons 22Mag scopes.
take em!
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/2010 at 16:50
Originally posted by satchvet satchvet wrote:

What reticle is on the Leupold 2-7 rimfire?
 The ones I've seen have a rather fine Duplex if I recall...
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic