OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Bino recomendations, PLEASE!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Superlite17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bino recomendations, PLEASE!
    Posted: August/16/2005 at 11:58

Hello all! And thank you for your time.

I do a lot of hunting over clear cuts (200-800 yards long) and have never gotten any binoculars I was happy with. Compacts would be great but the ones i have tried either did not have enough magnification or did not let in enough light

So I tried some large wally-world 50mm Bushnells and I really still was not happy.

My bino budget is tight $100-$200

Was wondering if anyone might have some advice, as I really do not know anything about binoculars, much less ones for long range hunting!!!

Are the Yukon binoculars good????

lucznik View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucznik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/16/2005 at 13:22

With your budget you need to be looking at Porro prism binoculars to get any real value.  Options include (but are not limited to:)

Bushnell Legend series (I can find these for around $120 to $150, depending on exact model)

Pentax PCF series (My local sporting goods store has these for between $150 to $200, again depending on what exact model.)

Cabelas is still (or was the last time I looked) selling some porro prism Bausch and Lomb Discoverers for right around the $200 mark.

These three would be my first-choice options. There are other makers and some people here like some of them.  I have no experience with the IOR brand, but there are some very ardent fans of them on this site.  Steiners are popular with some, but I don't like the individual focus mechanism they use on their porro prism models.  Swift is another popular choice that I have seen receive high praise and recommendations.  I don't know the price point for any of these others.

What if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about?
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/16/2005 at 14:11

You can't really buy an IOR or a Swift for under $200, unless you find some older Swift AUdubon on Ebay.  Even then it is unlikely to end up under $200.

In that price range pentax PCF WP II and Nikon Action Extreme porros are worth a look. Also Bushnell Legends and Minolta Activa.  I also like SIghtron S2 WP porros.

Ilya

Superlite17 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Superlite17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/16/2005 at 14:11
Excellent, what size would you think???
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/16/2005 at 14:16

8x42 or something along those lines would be a best allround choice. 

If you really need to reach out there you can consider 10x42 or 10x50, but I think 8x magnification is a better way to go. 

Any of the binoculars mentioned above are far superior optically to cheap wally-world stuff.  You'd be surprised how well you can see with quality optics even at relatively low magnification.  My go to binocular is an IOR 7x40 and in 95% of all situations I feel in no way handicapped by a somewhat low 7x magnification.

Ilya

holzauge View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote holzauge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/28/2005 at 05:19
I'm with Koshkin on the IOR 7x40's.  After much use I've come to the comclusion that for my uses their relatively lower mag and higher weight are virtues.  I would never trade them for lighter 8X or 10x  binocs with lower quality optics.  They were also reasonably priced and are built like a fort.
georgiabowhuntr View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote georgiabowhuntr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/28/2005 at 11:29
Check your PM's INBOX
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic