OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

optimum shooting range for 6x42

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YakAk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: optimum shooting range for 6x42
    Posted: December/29/2009 at 21:22
What would be comfortable shooting range both minimum and maximum?

Thanks,
Steve
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/29/2009 at 22:03
Of course, it would depend on the size of your target, but in general, I'd say 25 - 300 yards is pretty realistic.  
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/29/2009 at 22:26
I agree with Ted and this should cover 95% of all hunting situations.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
YakAk View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YakAk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/29/2009 at 22:56
Hunting moose, deer, and bear would be my primary purpose.  Low light and at times heavy cover. Debating between a 4x or a 6x.  Please, don't someone say variable.

Steve
sakomato View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sakomato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/29/2009 at 23:25
This last weekend I was ringing a 12" metal gong at 600 yards using the ballistic MP8 reticle on the IOR 6X42.

I think it would depend some on how clear and how good the resolution is on a 6x scope.  Certainly the target was smaller than it was in my 4.5x14 Conquest with the RapidZ 800.  It would not do to distinguish the trophy quality of a set of horns at 600 yards but the 12" target was just as easy to hit with the 6x as it was with the 14x (set on 12x to match the trajectory of the bullet).  It would also depend upon the width of the reticle and how much of the target it occluded.  I was pleased with the MP8 reticle in that it is very fine but on the other hand it would not be as good for low light as a thicker reticle.
Guns only have 2 enemies, rust and politicians
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/30/2009 at 00:30
I recall that in the Soviet Army, designated marksmen with a Dragunov thought that their (comparatively crappy) 4x24 scopes were perfectly adequate for hitting man-size targets out to 800yards.

We can probably surmise that with a high quality modern 6x42 scope you can comfortably hit a big game animal out to as far as is ethical to shoot for most of us.  A bigger limitation may be at close range, but guys like John Barseness seem to have no problem using 6x scopes fairly close up.

ILya
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/30/2009 at 00:39
6x will make a 600 yd target look like it would with open sights at 100 yds or make a target at 300 yds look like open sights at 50 yds.  There are a couple of ways to extend the distance you can make a 6x accurately strike a target of known distance.
Leupold 6x42 FX-3 Riflescope Long Range Duplex Leupold 6x42 FX-3 Riflescope
Stock # - LEU66820
  • Matte
  • Long Range Duplex
  • 1"
  • Xtended Twilight Lens System
$409.95
Leupold 6x42 FX-3 Competition Hunter Riflescope Target Dot Leupold 6x42 FX-3 Competition Hunter Riflescope
Stock # - LEU66825
  • Matte
  • Target Dot
  • 1"
  • Adjustable Objective
  • Xtended Twilight Lens System
$469.95 
Add Leupold 6x42 FX-3 Competition Hunter Riflescope to Cart 
the top one has a balistic reticle and the bottom one has target knobs.  One can also order the M1 tactical knobs or CDS Custom Dial System knobs from Leupold Custom.  Leupold Custom will also engrave a reticle to match the balistics of your caliber and cartridge.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Dogger View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/30/2009 at 07:54
What do you expect would be the majority of your situations? 75 yds or less?  Will you be stand hunting where your game will be slow moving or stopped?  Will you be hunting close in on jumped game?

I would opt for 4X if hunting normally 75 yds or less on moving game, otherwise your choice.  My eyes are not as good as some and I have had difficulty picking up moving game at higher mag in bush.
God save the Empire!
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/30/2009 at 08:25
With the mention of bears and heavy brush i would go with a 4x for the ability to get on target faster at closer and moving ranges. IMO  You would definately need to practice shots at long ranges with a 4x to feel comfortable to take shots that long at live targets though. 
YakAk View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YakAk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/30/2009 at 22:22
I think for now (since I have time to change my mind) I will save up for a S&B Fixed 4x36. I first stated thinking a 1.5-6x42 but my scope would be set on 4 in most cases. So why not keep it simple. Just like when I was a kid.

Thanks all,
Steve
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/30/2009 at 23:04
Trijicon 2x20 Compact Acog Rifle Scope Red Crosshair Trijicon 2x20 Compact Acog Rifle Scope
Stock # - TA40R4
  • Red Crosshair
  • Free Lens Cleaning Pen w/ Purchase
$629.95
Add Trijicon 2x20 Compact Acog Rifle Scope to Cart 
Think I'd rather have tritium & fiber optic illumination when we start talking Bears.  A friend of mine has a lioness full mounted in his den that came into camp hunting them at night.  Nice to be able to get on target in low light.

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
338LAPUASLAP View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Scope Swapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 338LAPUASLAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/30/2009 at 23:29

I am not qualified to talk quadrapeds but 4x does the trick out to 600+ and is easier to get use to but 6x can give you better placement for heart lung shots ...

No one
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/31/2009 at 00:29
Zeiss 4x32 Conquest Rifle Scope Z-Plex Zeiss 4x32 Conquest Rifle Scope
Stock # - 5214059920
  • Matte
  • Z-Plex
  • 1"
  • Etched Glass
  • 2nd Plane
$299.95
Add Zeiss 4x32 Conquest Rifle Scope to Cart 
IOR 4x32 Hunting Rifle Scope 4A IOR 4x32 Hunting Rifle Scope
Stock # - 403240
  • Matte
  • 4A
  • 1"
$359.95
Add IOR 4x32 Hunting Rifle Scope to Cart 
Leupold 4x33 FX-II Riflescope Wide Duplex Leupold 4x33 FX-II Riflescope
Stock # - LEU58550
  • Matte
  • Wide Duplex
  • 1"
  • Multi-Coat 4 Lens System
$269.95 
Add Leupold 4x33 FX-II Riflescope to Cart 
Schmidt & Bender 4x36 Fixed Riflescope #7 Schmidt & Bender 4x36 Fixed Riflescope
Stock # - 931670
  • Matte
  • 1"
$1,068.95
Add Schmidt & Bender 4x36 Fixed Riflescope to Cart 
I cant imagine the S&B being that much better than these others in 4x

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/31/2009 at 07:05
I agree that I dont' think the schmidt and bender would be that much better in quality to justify that much coin difference.  IMO 
YakAk View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YakAk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/31/2009 at 09:53
That is good to know the extra $700.00 for the S&B may not be worth paying.  I have had good luck with Zeiss Conquest in the past.  I like the looks of the IOR but am not familiar with that brand.

Steve
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/31/2009 at 11:37
IOR is a great brand and some have the BDC for specific calibers.  Not sure what you mounting on but you wouldn't be sorry with it.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/31/2009 at 13:38
Originally posted by YakAk YakAk wrote:

That is good to know the extra $700.00 for the S&B may not be worth paying.  I have had good luck with Zeiss Conquest in the past.  I like the looks of the IOR but am not familiar with that brand.

Steve

I have a Zeiss Conquest 4X, and I can tell you it is an incredible little scope!  I would have a hard time believing you wouldn't absolutely fall in love with it!  At low magnification, it's much harder to see the improvements in image quality the super high dollar scopes potentially provide.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/31/2009 at 13:45
What RifleDude says Thunbs Up
The Z-Plex is a dandy in low light and thick cover, too. You can also get the Leupold with a heavy reticle that will do the job.
My longest shot at a deer was well over 300 yards and a 4X Burris FF did the trick. The 6X would be a bit better for longer shots. So, I think your good with either power.
I can also recommend the 6x42 Leupold. Mine has been an excellent all around scope.

Doug

Edited by tahqua - December/31/2009 at 13:49
Sparky View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/03/2010 at 13:14
+ 1 on the Zeiss Conquest 4x.
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/03/2010 at 23:53
For the price of the S&B one could have one of each of the others plus a weaver and a pentax for Sat & Sun,  or three Zeiss in quick release mounts each zeroed for a different range.Devil    --------- >  buy the Zeiss and dont look back.

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic