OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Need input on back-up pistol-update

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HuntMaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need input on back-up pistol-update
    Posted: December/29/2009 at 19:50
Hey guys,
I would really appreciate a little input if any of you have any experience with one of the AMT Backup 380's in dao. I have been looking for a Walther PPK in 380 , but just found a pretty good deal on the AMT.
I was just wondering if any of you had owned, or fired one of these nifty little pistols. I am especially curious on the reliability of it- such as if it jams often. I am interested in it because of it's concealability, and it really is not a bad looking pistol.
Thanks,
Derek

Edited by HuntMaster - January/08/2010 at 19:27
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/29/2009 at 20:11
I'm sure it's very good choice. I'm old school and like that it has a safety you can see unlike my p230.
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/29/2009 at 20:14
A hunting friend of mine has the .45 AMT Backup that looks similar to the .380. He converted it to .40 Cor-Bon and it always ate everything it was fed in both calibers. It is a well made gun with very few edges. Considering it's small size it is comfortable to shoot.
I thought AMT's were always a cut above many of the other small companies making auto pistols. Like you said, they don't look too bad either.

Doug
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/29/2009 at 20:22
A buddy of mine, who is also a county police officer just bought a Walther ppks as his backup weapon.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/30/2009 at 01:08
 Smith and wesson J frame 

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd - January/10/2010 at 17:00

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
okc4956 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote okc4956 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/30/2009 at 06:31
If you like revolvers, take a look at the Ruger LCR. Light, 38spl and good trigger.
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote." Benjamin Franklin

SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/30/2009 at 07:36
I haven't had any experience with teh AMT but like a couple other guys said I am a firm believer that a small 5-shot revolver or similar is a better backup because of the durablilty and ease of use.  I have had keltecs, tomcats, ppks, and well a lot of pocket autos and ALL have at some point failed to eject or run through after time being carried in a pocket holster because of the dirt and grit build up in my pockets. Now I know i could have cleaned more often on these but I have sucessfully carried my airweight for over two years now and when i have pulled it out and shot at the range like i would in a real life situation, it has never failed.  just my 2cents.  Good luck and let up know what you decide.
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/30/2009 at 15:00
you didn't mention the carry. will it be ankle,coatpocket,pants,middle of back,shoulder ??????
HuntMaster View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HuntMaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/30/2009 at 18:07
Originally posted by Dale Clifford Dale Clifford wrote:

you didn't mention the carry. will it be ankle,coatpocket,pants,middle of back,shoulder ??????
Pants pockets, middle of back. I have several full size autos of various calibers- which is fine during winter months. I just want a pocket pistol for the warmer times( shorts, cargo pockets, etc...)

Edited by HuntMaster - December/30/2009 at 18:07
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/30/2009 at 18:37
You have to be a little careful with AMT.  Depending on when the gun was made and who owned the company at the time, quality can be a bit spotty.

That having been said, their DAO guns were all right most of the time.

As far as small guns go, have looked at Kahr pistol?

ILya
HuntMaster View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HuntMaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/30/2009 at 19:59
Yes, I looked at the Kahr's, very nice but still a little large. I very much want a PPK, but haven't ruled out a Ruger LCP. I had found a good deal on an AMT, but as of tonight, it is gone.
Between this forum and another I am a member of, the majority says stay away from AMT's Back-up. There were only a few exceptions here.
 As always, Thanks everyone. I respect your opinions very much. I'll let you know what I do when the time comes to lay out the cash.
 By the way, I purchased my Wife a Walther PK380, love it, and haven't ruled out the possibility of getting one for myself.
Derek
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/30/2009 at 20:03
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
ckk1106 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ckk1106 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/30/2009 at 20:10
I don't know a lot about back up guns, but this little gun has shot well for me.  I've put about 150 rounds through it and only had 1 jam very early on.  

Longhunter View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Longhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/30/2009 at 20:28
The Kahr PM40s have had problems.  It's a great design, size and weight, but reliability is an issue.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/30/2009 at 20:31
MK9s seem to be quite reliable.

ILya
338LAPUASLAP View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Scope Swapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 338LAPUASLAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/30/2009 at 21:52

PA-63 9x18 makrov vs ppk/pps .380

TAKE THE PPS / PPK DOWN SIDE BY SIDE WITH THE PA-63 AND SEE IF YOU CAN TELL WHICH ONE IS MADE BETTER...

...firing pin block safety...and a few other key differences...

No one
swtucker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swtucker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/30/2009 at 22:00
I really like my little Kahr P380, which is the same size as an LCP/Kel-Tec.  But if you can deal with a slightly thicker gun, get a S&W J-frame....like a 442.  They will go bang every time.  

**I've never had a FTF/FTE with the Kahr, but the Smith is as sure of a bet as they make.**
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/30/2009 at 23:56
Before you decide give the Glock 26 a look.

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd - January/10/2010 at 17:01

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Terry Lamb View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Terry Lamb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/31/2009 at 10:22
I have the AMT Backup .380 and carried it for years. I purchased it on the advice of the then Chief of Police, Spokane Washington who carried it, along with many of his officers, as the backup and off-duty weapon.
While it certainly doesn't exhibit the high degree of fit and finish as other makes, it also comes at a very reasonable price. Mine has never failed to feed or function, and I fired it a lot. Because of its compact size, it is not particularly a joy to shoot repetitively, as it tends to work over that area between thumb and forefinger, but plinking and range shooting are not its intended use.
For a reasonably priced and reliable carry arm I find it totally acceptable.
Terry Lamb
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/31/2009 at 13:19

Get Your Popcorn Ready

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd - January/10/2010 at 16:59

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic