OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

M1A Scout Scope

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote poptop55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: M1A Scout Scope
    Posted: December/29/2009 at 17:13
 I need help from the experts...I have just purchased an M1 scout and I'm torn between the Aimpoint CompM4 and the ACOG. I have several AR's with the Aimpoints but I have never used the ACOG. I really like the way the ACOG looks on the scout and the scope's features are awesome. Like I said, I have no experience with this scope and would appreciate any input.

Thanks.
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/29/2009 at 17:17
Welcome to The OT!

Lucky you! Soldier
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
poptop55 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote poptop55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/29/2009 at 17:28
Thanks....hope to be here awhile!!!!
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/29/2009 at 17:40
Just a suggestion, don't rush out to get a scope right away unless you really have to. Get to know your new scout and enjoy the iron sights for awhile. Thunbs Up 

The ACOG's are nice. Big Smile

Welcome to the OT!!!
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
poptop55 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote poptop55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/29/2009 at 18:51
Yeah, iron sights are great but the limitations of age have gotten the best of me...Big Smile
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/29/2009 at 18:53
Big Grin
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/30/2009 at 07:30
One thing I like better with the ACOG is that the illumination isn't battery powered and will always function.  The scope is great and your right it does look good on the scout.  I dont' know how your scout shoots but when I was looking at reviews for the "Tubbs Final Finish" I saw this and it my come in handy one day for you

Good luck and enjoy.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/30/2009 at 11:10
Trijicon 1x42 Reflex II Dual Illuminated Sight 6.5 MOA Amber Dot Trijicon 1x42 Reflex II Dual Illuminated Sight
Stock # - RX30
  • 6.5 MOA Amber Dot
  • Free Lens Pen w/ Purchase
$399.95 
Add to Wishlist
Add Trijicon 1x42 Reflex II Dual Illuminated Sight to Cart 
This is another option but with 6.5 moa dot that covers 6.5 in at 100 yds and 13 inches at 200 yds not very precise at distance but for up close and personal it works.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/30/2009 at 11:26
Are you planning to mount over thr action or on the forward rail?

ACOG is nice but has a short eye relief and will need to be mounted over the action, so it has to mount high.

My SOCOM wore almost every optic available and I liked Aimpoint t he best, best fit.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/30/2009 at 11:40
I love the "united states property" engraving on that mount. 
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/30/2009 at 12:10
Originally posted by Rancid Coolaid Rancid Coolaid wrote:

ACOG is nice but has a short eye relief and will need to be mounted over the action, so it has to mount high.

My SOCOM wore almost every optic available and I liked Aimpoint t he best, best fit.

RC, I take it your Aimpoint is mounted on the forward rail of your SOCOM?
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/30/2009 at 16:25
If your thinking Aimpoint, I'd HIGHLY recommend one of the Micros.
I LOVE mine more than any other Aimpoint I've ever tried.
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
338LAPUASLAP View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Scope Swapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 338LAPUASLAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/30/2009 at 22:03

NOT THE BRIGHTEST but maybe easy on your eyes long eye relief scope from leupold... I love the ACOG;s but maybe you could see a little further and possbily a little easier with the http://swfa.com/Leupold-25-8x32-VX-3-Handgun-Scope-P42157.aspx I do not know what you are limited by but it seems you have concerns...

No one

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/31/2009 at 16:39
Originally posted by mike650 mike650 wrote:

Originally posted by Rancid Coolaid Rancid Coolaid wrote:

RC, I take it your Aimpoint is mounted on the forward rail of your SOCOM?

Yes, it was.

I had a few mounting variations that allowed for a conventional scope; however, as you can see from Ted's picture, putting an optic on any M1A variant, because the expended brass come out the top of the action, requires that the scope be mounted rather high - making cheek weld a challenge.
poptop55 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote poptop55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/02/2010 at 11:18
Sorry about my absence....been out sick.

Anyway, I do plan to mount the optic on the forward rail, so I guess the ACOG is out. I have used the Leupold scout previously and I the performance was good. I do want some magnifacation so this or the Aimpoint may be the best solution.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/02/2010 at 11:20
Aimpoint is not magnified.  They do sell a magnifier tube, but it has to be mounted as a conventional tube would, up close.

If you are to use a scope scope, also consider the Burris, I looked at one and considered it, seemed like good gear.
poptop55 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote poptop55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/02/2010 at 11:43
I thought the 9000 SC was available in 2X.

I'll also check out the Burris.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/02/2010 at 12:01
It might be.

http://swfa.com/Burris-2-7x32-Handgun-Scope-P1833.aspx

Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/03/2010 at 23:36
I've heard some unhappy comments about the 2x aimpoint looking odd.  Not sure about the eye relief on that as being magnified it likely has a specific eye relief - best ask .

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
poptop55 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote poptop55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/04/2010 at 18:59
I'll check it out and let you know.....thanks.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic