OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Millet zoom dot.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sodak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Millet zoom dot.
    Posted: December/28/2009 at 20:14
I've been considering getting an ultimak for my ak and putting some sort of red dot on it. Common sense dictates this is the job for an aimpoint, but the millet zoom dot has me interested. It has a few features that look desirable and I'll admit the price is a plus provided the sight is reliable. My concern is that the zoom dot might have troubles dealing with the heat that comes with using an ultimak gas tube mount. Anyone think this might be a problem? Can anyone give me their experiences with this red dot? 
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/29/2009 at 00:52
sense dictates this is the job for an aimpoint
Listen to your heart - just buy what you want the first time and be happy.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/29/2009 at 07:57
Originally posted by Urimaginaryfrnd Urimaginaryfrnd wrote:

sense dictates this is the job for an aimpoint
Listen to your heart - just buy what you want the first time and be happy.

The resident redneck gets a big +1 for that. 

You will be happier with the aimpoint
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/29/2009 at 16:46
Welcome to Optics Talk.

Our resident optics guru (Koshkin) really likes the Zoom Dot, which makes me suggest at least investigating it as an option.
I'm not sure how the whole dot dimming/illuminating depending on ambient light deal works admittedly though.  

(I'm a BIG TIME Aimpoint floosy too, but the ZD may work for you.)   
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/29/2009 at 17:13
I have both the Aimpoint (9000SC) and the ZoomDot.

I like them both and here is how they stack up in my opinion:

-Reputation: Aimpoint has a stellar track record.  ZoomDot is too new to have that.
-Durability: this is a tough call.  Aimpoint's reputation speaks for itself.  However, I have not heard of ZoomDot failures and I did some nasty things to mine with no ill effect.
-Controls: to me this is not even close.  ZoomDot has one large knob that points sideways that is easy to grab with bare fingers or with gloves.  Aimpoint's smaller knob (on full size models) is much less intuitive for me and it points the wrong way.
-Battery life: Aimpoints kick ass in this category.  No question there.
-Versatility:  ZoomDot gives you a lot of versatility with that continuously adjustable dot size.

That is pretty much it.  Once the ZoomDot has been around longer and we know more about long term durability, it can be a truly viable contender for the full-size Aimpoints.

However, Micro-Aimpoints have the knob of the right size and in the right place.  They are slightly hampered by a 4MOA dot (a lot of people prefer smaller dots), but aside from that I much prefer the design of the Micro to the original Aimpoint.

ILya
sodak View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sodak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/29/2009 at 20:36
Thanks for the replies. I'll probably end up with an aimpoint, but I'd like to give the zoom dot a chance before I make my final decision.

Koshkin, I had a question about the zoom dot I'm hoping you can address. I saw in millet's brochure for the zoom dot that it has replaceable electronics. How does this work and does this interfere with the optic being sealed?
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/29/2009 at 21:13
Originally posted by sodak sodak wrote:

Thanks for the replies. I'll probably end up with an aimpoint, but I'd like to give the zoom dot a chance before I make my final decision.

Koshkin, I had a question about the zoom dot I'm hoping you can address. I saw in millet's brochure for the zoom dot that it has replaceable electronics. How does this work and does this interfere with the optic being sealed?

All the electronics are on one circuit board that is right underneath the knob.  You can swap it out with a new one and I do not think it will compromise anything. 

ILya
sodak View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sodak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/31/2009 at 20:49
I see. I was just worried that the inside of the can't be nitrogen purged because of the replaceable electronics design. The idea of being able to repair the optic on my own still sounds like a nifty idea.
firemedic View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote firemedic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/2010 at 19:44
I do believe that Bushnell has been around a lot longer.
rem
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic