OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

mounting on a sako

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pass-thru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: mounting on a sako
    Posted: December/27/2009 at 22:13
Are there are opitions for mounting a scope on a sako besides their optilock?  If so, who makes mounts/rings compatible with sako?
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/27/2009 at 22:42
What model of Sako? Lepould and Burris make a base for the newer Sako rifles.

Burris Trumount Universal 2 Piece Base
  $17.95 < id=ctl00_wpm_ShowProduct_ctl08_OurPrice_VS value=Trm353yLrwf7IXZBkdX90sscaGHtHgMDCLBSBxfyOVuDlsS7jajZLZ4DcKw83WM/ = name=ctl00$wpm$ShowProduct$ctl08$OurPrice$VS>

Burris Trumount Universal 2 Piece Base

Stock # - 410296
Leupold Standard 2 Piece Base
  $19.95 < id=ctl00_wpm_ShowProduct_ctl08_OurPrice_VS value=KlUXeVab9pjn7sjN0xvmhy9h/twyqGfjUeGGRVenrJpxQxOg7qRuUkn/uRYLBodF = name=ctl00$wpm$ShowProduct$ctl08$OurPrice$VS>

Leupold Standard 2 Piece Base

Stock # - LEU50025
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
pass-thru View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pass-thru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/28/2009 at 07:14
85 Bavarian....thanks
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/28/2009 at 12:27
I like Talley better than any other option for Sako that I've seen -- much better than the Optiloks.  I have them on both a M75 and M85.  On both rifles, I have their "fixed" rings on their Sako bases.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Horsemany View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Horsemany Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/28/2009 at 21:05
Optilocks suck.  Too heavy, too tall, too pricey.  Talley's are the best thing going right now.  The only downside is a set screw on each base that slightly mars the checkered area beneath the base.  They look the cleanest of any mount available IMO. 
bird View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/29/2009 at 10:25

I have a new  set of sako rings and bases in box will sell all for 35.00 somehow I got a extra set with a rifle

bird81
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/29/2009 at 10:29
Bird you may try the trading post forum with better results for items for sale.
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/29/2009 at 17:06
Originally posted by Horsemany Horsemany wrote:

Optilocks suck.  Too heavy, too tall, too pricey.  Talley's are the best thing going right now.  The only downside is a set screw on each base that slightly mars the checkered area beneath the base.  They look the cleanest of any mount available IMO. 
Well stated, at least in my opinion. I would also add super freakin SOFT cap screws to the list of disppointments started by the gentleman above.  
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/29/2009 at 20:57
I have been extremely pleased with Warnes for my Sakos
never had an issue whatsoever

Haven't used the Talleys but did for  Tikka, very nice and I would probably try those next
pass-thru View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pass-thru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/29/2009 at 21:29
Originally posted by Horsemany Horsemany wrote:

Talley's are the best thing going right now.  The only downside is a set screw on each base that slightly mars the checkered area beneath the base.  
Is this slight marring enough to affect the resale value?
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/29/2009 at 22:00
It depends on how hard you tighten the setscrew.  Even if you do mar the top of the receiver, the spot will be small, and it can be touched up.  Yes, it may affect the value of the rifle, if you plan to sell it without the mounts installed. 

Technically, it is not essential that you use the setscrew, as the taper itself locks the base in place, even though I do use it for added security.  You drive the bases against the tapered grooves with a wooden or brass dowel to set them.  
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Oldtrader3 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldtrader3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/29/2009 at 23:27
I just bought a Sako Model 85 and bough the medium height Leopold Ringmounts for the rifle.  They seem to work fine and handled a 42mm objective lens mounting without incident.  I have a Kahles 3-9x42 TDS AH scope for the rifle which is a .338 Federal caliber
CDR3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/30/2009 at 03:13
Originally posted by Oldtrader3 Oldtrader3 wrote:

I just bought a Sako Model 85 and bough the medium height Leopold Ringmounts for the rifle.  They seem to work fine and handled a 42mm objective lens mounting without incident.  I have a Kahles 3-9x42 TDS AH scope for the rifle which is a .338 Federal caliber

Agreed. The Leupold Ringmounts worked well on my Sako.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/31/2009 at 13:59
The wierd thing about this is that Sako even makes/made a ringmount version of the Optilock that attaches in the same way as the Leupold ringmounts... but they didn't offer them for sale in the US, or at least that's what Beretta told me.  It's a shame, as they looked like nice mounts and eliminated all of the problems with the 2 piece Optilocks by eliminating the stupid base (assuming you change out the soft screws, that is).

I never understood the logic behind why Sako would incorporate a nice integrated dovetail on their receiver and then make scope mounts for it using separate bases and rings!  I thought the whole reason for having mechanical mount engagement integrated directly into the receiver in the first place is to eliminate mount bases and have a stronger mounting system!

Optilocks suck!
Ted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/31/2009 at 15:22
Originally posted by RifleDude RifleDude wrote:

Optilocks suck!

New sigline material there!  Wink 
Oldtrader3 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldtrader3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/17/2010 at 00:51
I have been looking at the Beuhler Optimounts for the Sakos with great fondness from past experience.  They are robust elegant and practical, plus being better then what is currently availble.  Occasionally they still can be found.  They look slick, mount low and are very well made.  If I was 20 years younger, I would license those mounts and remarket the highest quality mounts for Sako's and several other semi custom integral base rifles out there in the marketplace.  Too bad that they went by the wayside.
Some enterprising soul need to take this on as a project and I een would be willing to ivest some time in an engineering content to assure fit, function and complete performance success of the venture .

Let me know if there is any interest.

Edited by Oldtrader3 - January/17/2010 at 00:55
CDR3
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic