OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rimfire / Airgun
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

better scope for HW97K

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dekka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: better scope for HW97K
    Posted: December/27/2009 at 15:43
I have about 600 im willing to spend on a scope, please help me narrow down my choices
Rifle: Weihrauch HW 97K  .177 FAC version
Experience w/ scopes: almost none
reqs to scope: variable mag, mildot (will consider others), sidefocus

favorites for now are:
  • bushnell 6-24x50 Elite 4200 30mm (read quite a few good reviews on this one, isnt it an overkill for airgun?)
  • SWFA SS 10x42 Tactical Riflescope (i likeem but they dont ship anywhere except USA - too bad)
  • Leup?Burris?Weaver? - yeah, which one? they produce like hundreds of them..
What im trying to find is the best balance for 600 tops. Do i need all these AO/IR/SF/parallax adj. stuff? or id be better off ending up w/ a fixed mag scope? Which scope IYO has the most satisfying reticle (type, line thickness) - I really dont know, you tell me, any input will be appreciated 

if possible, pick from here competitor dot com (not an ad, they just ship internationally)

thanks

Silverseeker View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Silverseeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/27/2009 at 16:52
Bushnell trophy 4x12x40AO
Anything more you are really chasing a marginal improvement.

You will need an AO for short range shots.

Your HW 97 is tops!
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Silverseeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/27/2009 at 16:55

BTW--have been shooting HWs and BSAs for about 20 years--don't get sucked in with scope power for your 97--I shoot 20k plus rounds a year and RARELY go over 8x power on my Trophy scopes.

dekka View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dekka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/27/2009 at 17:32
thx for reply, Silver, so this salesguy he says the more power the scope has - the better and tries to flock me this 

Nikko Stirling Nighteater 10-50x60 or at least 

Hawke SideWinder 30 Series 8-32x56

claiming ill be able to see the bulletholes no matter what  distance the target at, both of them are made in china and worth around 550$ which is a lot for me - iwouldnt like to spend 500-600$  and end up w/ a chinese hubble on my rifle. Bush 4-12x40AO - anything over is too much for this rifle? 

kesi View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kesi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/28/2009 at 03:35
NS Nighteater 10-50x60 - big zoom is unusable!
Hawke Sidewinder 30 8-32x56 - low-light zomm > 20x = bed image

I recommend the Bushnell Elite 3200/4200 AO or Delta Titanium 4-16x42AO or 6-24x42AO

http://www.bushnelloutdoorproducts.eu/www_bushnell/eu/produits/all/riflescopes/
http://deltaoptical.pl/global/products.php?id=197

dekka View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dekka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/28/2009 at 07:17
here, kesi gives another vote for bushnell... never heard of Delta Optics though
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/28/2009 at 07:56
I would go with the Bushnell 3200 or 4200 series.  Be careful about what recticle you are looking at.  Some countries will not let you import any mil-dot style scopes.
dekka View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dekka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/28/2009 at 10:57
thx SVT, I didnt know about mildot customs restrictions..gotta find out that. Yes Bushnell 3200/4200 are the series that i consider most of all... I also found Nikon Monarch 4-16x50 - for 500$ looks like a decent scope, not sure if it will withstand the recoil
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/28/2009 at 11:09
it will withstand the recoil fine
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Silverseeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/28/2009 at 16:22

Stay at 4x12x40.

The Elite 3200 series is nice--the Trophy has Japanese optics--not China.

Their warranty is also good--Hawke is new to the scene--will they be there 10 years from now?

Your HW will last your lifetime and more.

You have a 50 yard gun--you don't need a 500 yard scope.
simmmo View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote simmmo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/29/2009 at 07:00
It really depends on what you want to use your rig for, being a FAC boinger probably pest control?

I shoot competetive HFT in the UK (power limit 12ft/lb) out to 45yds and use a Burris Short Mag 4.5-14 x 32mm on my PCP with a ballistic ret on 7 mag, use the same scope and set up for rabbits out to 50yds Find it very hard work at dusk though even using a scope enhancer. the new Timberline version will come down to 7yds

I shoot Competetive benchrest 25yds indoor and out and use a bushnell 8-32x40mm 4200 Elite boosted to around 40mag with front A/O Need to be careful with the side parrallax ones as the 6-24 tactical might only come down to 25yds as opposed to the front A/O coming down to 10.

Both these scopes have 1/8th clicks which I prefer over 1/4 as my PCPs are accurate enough to warrant this fine adjustment.

The 4200 6-24x40mm with front A/O would be a good buy as it also has rainguard mildot and a one inch tube which lets you get it closer to the barrel than 30mm options. The glass is good and low light capability on the lower mags is adequate for me.

However my personal choice would be the Burris for all round as it has served me very well over the last 3 years in competition and hunting but it isn't everyones cup of tea. The ballistic ret on 7mag works great much better than mildots for me, with the pellet from 10yds to 35yds being between the first line and the central crosshair and being equal to one inch spacing at 35yds. The pellet is higher than the second line down at 45yds. remember I am running at 775fps so yours will be much flatter.

There are some good reviews here with the Bushnell 6500 being in favour as are some of the Hawkes with their airgun specific reticles.

Unfortunately I keep asking but no one seems to know it the Timberline is as good optically as the models it replaced.

Hope this was of some help.

Andy
simmmo View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote simmmo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/29/2009 at 07:02
Forgot to add sometimes the 4200s run out of vertical and need shimming at the rear with 35mm negative.

Andy
dekka View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dekka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/29/2009 at 13:02
thanks a lot simmmo +1, your reply cleared a sky quite a bit! Now reading optics reviews from your link...will post later  
zingpow View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zingpow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/02/2010 at 17:27
the 97 is as close to my tx-200 as you can get...the tx ruined a new bushnell trophy in less than a tin of pellets...i moved up to the 3200 and have not had a problem since...i have the 5-15x40 and shoot mostly pest birds, (starlings, cowbirds, and housesparrows) that either compete with the bluebirds for the nest sites i provide or as in the case of the cowbirds are nest parasites...

i don't shoot alot of paper but have 1 inch circles with 1/4 inch dots on them plus i have targets from 20 to 75 yards out...bottle caps strug with string from the tree branches from 20 to 35 yards and the same at 40 and 50 yards...i put the cheap hollow plastic golfballs around the yard out to 65 yards...the bottle caps sway in the breeze and help with timing my shots through the branches when the birds are in deep and the branches are moving...

the 15 power is all i need for the distances/birds/targets i shoot and the 3200 is enough scope, i wouldn't want less...zp...
you can always make more money but you can never buy back the time...

if you can't work through the pain you'll die on the battlefield...
xposo View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xposo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/02/2010 at 19:06
Originally posted by Silverseeker Silverseeker wrote:

Stay at 4x12x40.

The Elite 3200 series is nice--the Trophy has Japanese optics--not China.

Their warranty is also good--Hawke is new to the scene--will they be there 10 years from now?

Your HW will last your lifetime and more.

You have a 50 yard gun--you don't need a 500 yard scope.
I think Hawke will be around for 10 years from now, even alot longer than that. After speaking to upper managment from Hawke at the 2008 SHOT Show,  it sounds like they're in it for the long haul. They have great customer service if anything should go wrong with the scope.  (the biggest reason I switched over to Hawke) 
Well over 2000 shots through this Hawke Pro, no movement, or POI shifts since mounting.  I also have a Air Max that has over 6000 shots on my gas rammed HW80 with no movement or shifts since mounting. My former Bushy couldn't do that. It died with less than 200 shots from the same gun.
This is just my opinion on Hawke optics, I couldn't get the same results from Bushnell customer service, or scopes.
kesi View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kesi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/03/2010 at 11:49
Hi, what type of Bushnell do you talk about? Bushnell type Elite has better quality. Wink

tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/03/2010 at 13:07
I do have a 6-24 on one of my springers and I don't use it much over 14x. This scope also has mil-dots that I haven't found use for in an airgun. But, they haven't hurt either.
For extreme accuracy some of these guys are talking about and from up close to out as far as an airgun can go, AO is a definite need. An AO that can get down below 10 yds is even better.
I have had good luck with a Votrex Crossfire on the low end and a Leupold EFR on the high end.
kesi View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kesi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/03/2010 at 13:33
This:  http://swfa.com/Leupold-65-20x40-VX-3-EFR-Riflescope-P12728.aspx  ???

What is the guality glass? Please can compare with Bushnell Elite 6500 or other quality optics?

tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/03/2010 at 14:17
My Leupold EFR is a 3.5x10x50. It is a better comparison with the 3-9x33 EFR for glass and coating quality. It is very good glass IMO.
I don't think the glass has the clarity of a Conquest, 4200. But, I use this scope for a lot of night time hunting. When we compared a 3-9x50 Conquest last night; no moon, overcast and some clouds, the biggest difference was the reticles. Either one of us would have had a tough time making the shot without a light. With the weapons light it is no problem. If low light performance matters, I think the Leupold is just as good as anything I've used. Reticle choice is important, though.
The 6.5-20x40 EFR is the newer VX-3 glass and is supposed to be a step up. The older 6.5-20's I have used have been great for long range shooting. I can only surmise the VX-3 is better.

Doug
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic