OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - picked my scope! now i need a size (last question)
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

picked my scope! now i need a size (last question)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dukesbb37 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: picked my scope! now i need a size (last question)
    Posted: December/25/2009 at 00:19
Hey guys, after hearing all the great things about the zeiss conquest ive decided to just suck it up and spent the extra bucks to get one. I wanted to thank everyone on the forum for their advice. That said, now i have to decide WHICH conquest i want.

1) Im trying to decide if the 3-9x50 will be worth the extra 10mm, but with half an inch less eye relief. The 3-9x40 has 4" and the 3-9x50 has 3.5, and im shooting a .308 tikka t3 lite, am i likely to get bit?

2) second, im going to be getting a set of rings and flip-ups from swfa and i need to know what size rings (and flipups but theres another thread for that). Will medium talley lightweights work for both the 40 and 50mm?

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/25/2009 at 00:26
What is the application? Which rifle will it be going on?

ILya
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/25/2009 at 00:31
40 medium Talley rings on the Tikka  and 50 probably high but ask when you call SWFA
I would upgrade the power to the 4.5 to 14 before I would consider upgrading the objective diameter.  All it does going 40 to 50 is make it bright at 7x rather than 6x in low light.  Id rather keep it lower.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/25/2009 at 00:50
I don't own a Tikka but I do know Talley (mediums) will work with a 50mm scope mounted on a m700 with zero problems. I have two rifles (with Swaro 50mm scopes) setup like this; there's plenty of clearance for using Butler Creeks during rainy conditions.
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
dukesbb37 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dukesbb37 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/25/2009 at 02:22
the application is mostly deer and some target, going on a .308 Tikka t3

upgrading magnification would prolly cost too much but thanks
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/25/2009 at 08:30
you wont get bit, i had a 4200 elite which only has 3.3" of eye relief on my .375H&H mag.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
jonoMT View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/25/2009 at 08:56
Originally posted by koshkin koshkin wrote:

What is the application? Which rifle will it be going on?

ILya

This should be a sticky at the top of Rifle Scopes, Tactical Scopes and others.
Reaction time is a factor...
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/25/2009 at 09:13
The best value is the standard 3-9x40, but sometimes value and logic have nothing to do with what we hunting nuts choose.  You can't go wrong with either and if a 50mm is what you want, then get it and don't look back.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
bagderRed View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bagderRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/25/2009 at 12:56
Originally posted by lucytuma lucytuma wrote:

The best value is the standard 3-9x40, but sometimes value and logic have nothing to do with what we hunting nuts choose.  You can't go wrong with either and if a 50mm is what you want, then get it and don't look back.
+1
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic