OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Leupold VX-3 compared to VX-3L

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steveg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Leupold VX-3 compared to VX-3L
    Posted: December/24/2009 at 13:23
The scope comparison chart:
rates the VX-3 above the VX-L.  Other than a lot of people think the VX-L is ugly (can't argue with the statement) why is the VX-L rated lower than the VX-3.  I thought the VX-L series were just the VX-3 with the notch cut out to allow the scope to be mounted lower?

Thanks for the help.

Steve
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/24/2009 at 13:27
cost may have something to do with you pay more for the vx-l and you dont gain anything other than you can use low rings.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
RONK View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/24/2009 at 14:49

When an item is posted on that scale, there's alot of disagreement about whether it should be set a notch higher or lower, so I wouldn't get too hung up on that alone, despite the chart being a very good general guideline overall.
 Choose whichever your tastes and budget allow: I doubt you could tell any difference from one vs. the other in real-world performance.
 As Pyro says, you'll probably pay a bit of a premium for the cutout feature, one way or another.
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/25/2009 at 13:53
I agree 100%, the increase in price is the reason for the lower rating.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
Steveg View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steveg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/25/2009 at 20:24
Thanks for the help!

Steve
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/25/2009 at 21:04
VX-L referred to in the rating scale is the earlier version that is based on VX-III, not VX-3.

The updated "L" scopes are VX-3L and they are not separately mentioned in the scale (they are same as VX-3 except with a crescent cutout).

All this confusion is a consequence of Leupold's asinine decision to call VX-III's upgrade VX-3.

ILya
JTD0314 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JTD0314 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/27/2009 at 12:53

I have had both the VX3 and VX3L in 3.5-10x40 and 3.5-10x50. I tried both scopes for first and last light deer hunting. I had the occasion to watch deer in a field during cloudy weather near my house. The deer were approximately 100 yards away. The L clearly outperformed the VX3 in low light conditions. The VX3 had the B&C reticle and the L the standard duplex (I don’t know if this had anything to do with my findings). It got to the point where I would not have felt comfortable taking a shot with the VX3 and the L was still clear. I could have taken the shot several minutes after the VX3. Due to my observations, I sold the VX3 and kept the L. I have been told that the VX3L has some of the coatings off of the VX7. I am not sure if this is the case, but I am happy with my decision to keep the VXL. I took several deer with this scope mounted on a Weatherby .270 Win. At first I wasn’t crazy with its’ appearance, but it has grown on me.

cnas122 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cnas122 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/27/2009 at 17:28
Wow...I just came across this forum and this was one of the topics I was interested in discussing.  I am upgrading from an older model Leupold and because of the kindness of a dealer friend, I have a chance to get either VX3 40 or a VX3L 50 for about the same price.  So all things being equal, why do you guys think?  Normally I shy away from the 50mm because of the mounting height, but I guess the 3L takes that problem out of the equation with its notched objective lense.
JTD0314 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JTD0314 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/28/2009 at 03:15
Both are great scopes, but I really like the low light performanc of the VXL and the low mounting height. 
Sandracer View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sandracer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/28/2009 at 15:18
Originally posted by cnas122 cnas122 wrote:

Wow...I just came across this forum and this was one of the topics I was interested in discussing.  I am upgrading from an older model Leupold and because of the kindness of a dealer friend, I have a chance to get either VX3 40 or a VX3L 50 for about the same price.  So all things being equal, why do you guys think?  Normally I shy away from the 50mm because of the mounting height, but I guess the 3L takes that problem out of the equation with its notched objective lense.

Be sure the L is the VX3L and not the VXlll L as the coatings are different.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic