OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - do you guys "break in" your centerfire rifles...
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

do you guys "break in" your centerfire rifles...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zingpow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: do you guys "break in" your centerfire rifles...
    Posted: December/23/2009 at 13:57
got this remmy 700ltr and i have honestly never done any kind of "break in" proceedure before and i've owned some pretty nice rifles in my time but i never kept them long enough to wonder if it would make a difference...there are several schools of thought on breaking in a rifle including don't do it at all...what has been your experience...if this subject has been driven into the dirt and people are ready to go to war to stop another thread on it just point me in a direction...

merry christmas to you and your families...life is good and always better when the kids come home to the roost...zp...
you can always make more money but you can never buy back the time...

if you can't work through the pain you'll die on the battlefield...
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/23/2009 at 14:07

With my rem 700 sps tactical 308 I did this.  Shot 5 times cleaning well between each shot then groups of 5 cleaning between each group until I got to 25 shots.  Now I just shot and clean when I am done. 

With my Win mod 70 300 win mag i shot 5 times cleaned 5 more cleaned and then just shot and cleaned after everytime I shot. 

They both produce sub MOA at 100yds.  I would at least clean after the first 5 then go on until your done. 
My 2 cents

Dogger View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/23/2009 at 14:08
God save the Empire!
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/23/2009 at 14:12
Originally posted by SVT_Tactical SVT_Tactical wrote:

With my rem 700 sps tactical 308 I did this.  Shot 5 times cleaning well between each shot then groups of 5 cleaning between each group until I got to 25 shots.  Now I just shot and clean when I am done. 

With my Win mod 70 300 win mag i shot 5 times cleaned 5 more cleaned and then just shot and cleaned after everytime I shot. 

They both produce sub MOA at 100yds.  I would at least clean after the first 5 then go on until your done. 
My 2 cents

Forgot to mention I always run a clean dry patch through the bore before the first shot...just in case
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/23/2009 at 14:13
It has been discussed at length on this forum quite a bit.  Some think you should, some think it is not necessary.  I doubt you will find anything here that you have not already read.  This is a good article by John Barnsness on cleaning and break in.  His findings show it is not as necessary as many people think it is.   http://www.americanrifleman.org/Webcontent/pdf/2009-10/20091015104116-cleanbarrel.pdf
I have heard other very knowledgeable shooters say just the opposite.  They claim you need to clean every bit of the material Carbon/Copper out between shots for the first little while and they clean it that good after every range session. 

But until someone takes 10 or so test barrels from the exact same lot of barrels and tests them all side by side while documenting with a bore scope I don't think a for sure answer will ever be known on which way is the absolute best way to do it.  You would need to test 10 factory barrels and 10 hand lapped custom barrels.  That way we could see the difference between the two types.

If I were rich and retired so I had a lot of time, I would be all over doing a test like that. 

Edited by supertool73 - December/23/2009 at 14:15
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/23/2009 at 14:13
if your really in doubt you can try the tubbs final finish system and g from there. some people break in barrels like you would a car, take it easy on it for the first 1000 miles and then drive it like normal. others will just skip it all and use it as is.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/23/2009 at 14:17
I did a tubbs system on a 700 VS barrel and it did infact make it easier to clean after I was done.  I saw no accuracy increase, at least nothing noticeable if it did.  IMO the fact that it was easier to clean made it well worth the cost and time it took to do it.  
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/23/2009 at 14:29
My take on break-in is if you are shooting a factory barrel (non-custom barrel that is) it could not hurt to send some carefully spaced rounds down tube to smooth things out. If we are talking custom tubes, that have been lapped, it is a waste of good range time.

Edited by Roy Finn - December/23/2009 at 14:29
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/23/2009 at 14:44
Originally posted by supertool73 supertool73 wrote:

I did a tubbs system on a 700 VS barrel and it did infact make it easier to clean after I was done.  I saw no accuracy increase, at least nothing noticeable if it did.  IMO the fact that it was easier to clean made it well worth the cost and time it took to do it.  

I have heard mixed things on the tubbs.  mostly good but some horrible.  I read on a forum somewhere that a guy used it as directed and his gun went from 1moa to about 3moa  and when he had a smith check it the smith said the bore was slick as a babies arse.  Only thing anyone could come up with is that he did load right but either way.  I think i will try it if it makes cleaning better.  Worse case senario i get to buy a new barrel......Big Grin
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/23/2009 at 14:46
if he did that to his barrel he must of either shot a ton of the abrasive bullets or his barrel was almost shot before he tried them, they are manufactured to only remove a tiny amount of material.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/23/2009 at 14:48

I have heard mixed things on the tubbs.  mostly good but some horrible.  I read on a forum somewhere that a guy used it as directed and his gun went from 1moa to about 3moa  and when he had a smith check it the smith said the bore was slick as a babies arse.  Only thing anyone could come up with is that he did load right but either way.  I think i will try it if it makes cleaning better.  Worse case senario i get to buy a new barrel......Big Grin

One of the rifle instructors at the school I attend had the exact same thing happen to a friends rifle.  He said it was shooting good before and after it was horrible.  They sent it back to Remington and they said all the lands and groves we smoothed out.

Personally I have a really hard time believing a tubbs system would do that.  The grit on them is so fine that would almost seem impossible to me. 

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/23/2009 at 14:49
right, its intention is to just smooth out any left over tooling marks really.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/23/2009 at 14:49
i figure he must have either loaded the wrong way or shot to many thinking if 10 will clean good then 30 will be great or somethign like that
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/23/2009 at 14:50
i will be interested to see what mike mcdonald has to say about this.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/23/2009 at 14:54
There are two different Tubbs systems.  One has progressive levels of grit which is suppose to work over the whole tube.  The other is just suppose to smooth out the throat. 

I used the progressive system.  It claims is only removes no more than .0003" of metal from the bore.  That is why I have a hard time believing it would smooth it out.  But I guess anything is possible.  

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/23/2009 at 14:55

There are two different Tubbs systems.  One has progressive levels of grit which is suppose to work over the whole tube.  The other is just suppose to smooth out the throat. 

I used the progressive system.  It claims is only removes no more than .0003" of metal from the bore.  That is why I have a hard time believing it would smooth it out.  But I guess anything is possible.  

my thoughts as well bro
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
zingpow View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zingpow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/23/2009 at 14:55
thank you gentlemen...as i sit here i wonder why i even asked...a guy should find out for himself and live with the consequences...hell if i lived somewhere i could hunt with a centerfire i would have already been through a dozen or more rilfes and had this conversation around the campfire during a hunt...

let's just drop it here and i'll wade through it through the winter months...i'm just excited about getting a nice rifle and getting to the range will probably have to wait until the spring unless we have a good january thaw so here i am whizzing on your legs...

thank your for your time and responses...i'll probably do a minor form of break in and leave it at that...my best to you and yours...zp...
you can always make more money but you can never buy back the time...

if you can't work through the pain you'll die on the battlefield...
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/23/2009 at 14:56

I dont' think it was the products error personally. Operator IMO. 

Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/23/2009 at 15:01

I dont' think it was the products error personally. Operator IMO. 

I think you are probably on to something there.  It warns in the instructions to not load them to hot.  So maybe that causes it.

To me it almost seems worth it to just buy used guns and have them rebarreled right away with a handlapped barrel.  That way you don't have to worry about any of this crap.  The only thing I have to do to my Lilja is wipe the carbon out, it does not copper foul at all.  It makes cleaning so nice.  Yippee

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/23/2009 at 15:04
my .375H&H is the same way, im not sure what kind of barrel it has on it, ive yet to take the stock off. im going to the exact gun show i bought it at in two weeks. maybe i can ask the guy who sold it to me if he remembers. 

i wish that all of my rifles were like that.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic