OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Varmint Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Bushnell Elite 6500 vs Zeiss Conquest

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jakeb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bushnell Elite 6500 vs Zeiss Conquest
    Posted: December/23/2009 at 12:55
I am looking at the Bushnell elite 6500 4.5-30 and the Zeiss Conquest 6.5-20, or the one power range down for each.  The scope will be placed on a prairie dog gun.   I am looking for your experience with these two.  Also your reticle choice for prairie dogs in each.  I have personally looking through the bushnell and was impressed with clarity.  I have looked through a 3-9 zeiss conquest and can only guess that the glass in the 6.5-20 would be equal to the very bright very crisp image I saw from the 3-9 Zeiss.  Personally I have the edge in glass and light gathering to the Zeiss, but wonder how other factors compare in the two.

Any Info appreciated.
Thanks jakeb
tjtjwdad View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tjtjwdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/24/2009 at 12:30
I too would be interested in hearing from the folks that have the Elite 6500 in 4.5-30x50 scope, especially on the higher magnifications regarding clarity and resolution.

I've looked thru both a Zeiss 4.5-14 x50 and a 6.5-20x50.  Each scope has superb brightness, clarity and resolution thru the entire range.  The eye relief thru the entire whole range is very consistent.  The other thing interested in would be how sharp/crisp the wind/elevation clicks are.  The Zeiss's are very good too.

Regarding reticles, if I were getting the Zeiss for prarie dogs and I didn't want to crank the knobs as much then I'd go with the Rapid Z-Varmint reticle.  The Z-Plex is nice and while the cross hairs are very fine the "PLEX" portion is rather thick and I believe they would cover up small critters at long distances "if" you hold off for wind (aka Kentucky Windage).  On the other hand, if you like to crank the knobs, the Z-PLEX would be fine, IMO.

Unfortunately, the Zeiss isn't very flexible with changing out reticles, unless they have changed.  A shame, its the only thing I don't like about them.

Tranan View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tranan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/24/2009 at 15:54
The Elite 6500 becomes a litle poorer in its optics when you come up on 20x magnification.  However the optics up to 30x are still acceptable, which is why I would still recommend it before Zeiss. However, I think it should be a matter of price as these two scopes are quite similar in quality. If the one is considerably cheaper than the other one, choose the cheapest!
CHARLIE DON'T SURF!
jakeb View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jakeb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/24/2009 at 17:40
I wonder about the ruggedness of each, as I have never owned either brand.  I plan to take care of it but its good to know if it can take a little banging around. 
Tranan View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tranan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/25/2009 at 15:22
Both of them are very rugged and can be abused quite heavily before they will present any damage. I am not sure if one is tougher than the other. I owned both and did not notice any difference but subjectivly, I might count the Elite as the toughest of the two.
CHARLIE DON'T SURF!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic