OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Reloading & Ballistics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Neck sizing or full lenght ???

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Optics Optimist
Optics Optimist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Barsness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/24/2009 at 10:07
Good points!
Sgt. D View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sgt. D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/24/2009 at 16:28
While on this subject I hope you can help me trouble shoot a brass issue I am having. The 700 Rem that I recently built is giving me some problems with shoulder length. I am having to pick thru new and fired brass to find brass with the shortest base to shoulder length. I first thought it was a problem with oal, but that proved to be no problem. I use RCBS full length and Winchester brass. What is the best solution for feeding this machine? 
Take care of Soldiers, Show em how its done and do it with em, Run to the Fight & and hold your ground! I die my men go home! If you're a NCO and this ain't you. GET OUT! GOD BLESS AMERICA!
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/24/2009 at 20:47
 What cartridge is your 700 chambered for, Sarge?
trigger29 View Drop Down
X = 180 Y = 90 (X+Pyro)+(Y-Pyro) = ?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/24/2009 at 22:54
Originally posted by Roy Finn Roy Finn wrote:

Originally posted by trigger29 trigger29 wrote:

Roy, might I assume you are speaking of a 300 Win mag, and not a 300 weatherby?

Yes sir.
Ok. As I read that my box of once fired 300 wby brass had just showed up, and the factory boxes were marked .300 WM Magnum. I pulled one out and looked at it, and thought the neck looked pretty long. I then went to the safe, and pulled out a .300 Win. I never really realized how short the neck is on those.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
Sgt. D View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sgt. D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/25/2009 at 13:33
Originally posted by RONK RONK wrote:

Pyro's favorite, the wonderful .270. What gets me is some (reloaded) brass fired in this rifle won't got a second time. I wanted a short throat, but I wonder if it needs another 1000th for the shoulder. Or maybe different brass or dies. I am very precise when loading for it, but I didn't expect to have to be quite so picky with brass. I did expect fired brass to work well.
Take care of Soldiers, Show em how its done and do it with em, Run to the Fight & and hold your ground! I die my men go home! If you're a NCO and this ain't you. GET OUT! GOD BLESS AMERICA!
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/25/2009 at 14:12
I partial re-size to the maximum length using Wilson case length gages for go-no go. I have been happy with the results in my bolt guns. I easily get 7-8 re-sizes in max load 7RM cases.
I use small base and full length re-size for my semi's in .06, .308 and .223. The only problem I've run into was shooting 165 gr SGK's from my BAR in my Garand. I had a head separation that scared me pretty good. Fortunately there was no damage to me or the gun. Because of the headspace on the Garand, also below max, it only gets fed something it already ate.
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/25/2009 at 14:28
Originally posted by Sgt. D Sgt. D wrote:

Originally posted by RONK RONK wrote:

Pyro's favorite, the wonderful .270. What gets me is some (reloaded) brass fired in this rifle won't got a second time. I wanted a short throat, but I wonder if it needs another 1000th for the shoulder. Or maybe different brass or dies. I am very precise when loading for it, but I didn't expect to have to be quite so picky with brass. I did expect fired brass to work well.
 I would get a set of  headspace gages and a Wilson cartridge case gage such as Doug mentions. Used together, they should tell you what you need to know.
 I'm guessing that your RCBS die may not be sizing some of your brass quite enough, depending on hardness, thickness, etc. of the brass. The brass you size in it will fit between the high and low "landings" on the Wilson cartridge case gage if sized correctly.
 And the "GO" headspace gage will chamber in your rifle if the chamber is cut correctly. The "NO GO"gage must not chamber!

Throat length has no bearing on sizing issues, BTW. It does interact with bullet seating depths, but that is a completely seperate issue.
  A minimum chamber neck diameter, however, may prevent thick-walled brass from chambering once a bullet is seated in the cartridge. Some custom chambers are cut thus, and may require neck-turning of your brass to chamber.

Edited by RONK - December/25/2009 at 14:30
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/25/2009 at 14:35
its the curse of the .270, if it was a .280 you wouldnt have that problemBucky
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
trigger29 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/25/2009 at 15:50
I just bought some once fired factory 300 wby brass off gunbroker. I ran it through my redding body die, and it still won't chamber. It's like the back of the case, right before the belt, about at the pressure ring is too big to fit in my chamber. I ran them through the die again, and got a couple to fit, but not many. Is my chamber that small? I've never run into this before. My bolt was still 1/4" from being all the way forward, there was no way I'd have gotten the bolt forward and pushed down. When I tried to get them back out, I had to smack the bolt back to get them out! HELP.............!!

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/25/2009 at 16:06
are the cases bulged?
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
trigger29 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/25/2009 at 16:27

Cases appear normal. After about 3-4 firings on my cases, and neck sizing only, I get about the same kind of sticky extraction, but after a trip through the body die, they are fine again.

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/25/2009 at 16:33
interesting, dont know what to tell you there. i would measure the area in question and compare it to a loaded round or a new unused case if you have one.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/25/2009 at 16:43

Cases appear normal. After about 3-4 firings on my cases, and neck sizing only, I get about the same kind of sticky extraction, but after a trip through the body die, they are fine again.

I would "Sharpie" them and see when they are sticking in your chamber. It's no an uncommon problem to have cases not feed from one gun to another even after a FL die trip. After all, you don't know the chamber dimensions of the gun they came from.
trigger29 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/25/2009 at 18:20
Originally posted by Roy Finn Roy Finn wrote:

After all, you don't know the chamber dimensions of the gun they came from.
Huge apperently.

Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/25/2009 at 18:34
Maybe you could shoot a PM to John Barsness and ask him his thoughts on this. I know he has at leat one 300 Weatherby. I know that Weatherby factory ammo tends to be loaded kinda hot so perhaps it's a combo of things if they were once fired factory cases

Edited by Roy Finn - December/25/2009 at 18:36
sakomato View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sakomato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/25/2009 at 18:51

I just bought some once fired factory 300 wby brass off gunbroker. I ran it through my redding body die, and it still won't chamber. It's like the back of the case, right before the belt, about at the pressure ring is too big to fit in my chamber. I ran them through the die again, and got a couple to fit, but not many. Is my chamber that small? I've never run into this before. My bolt was still 1/4" from being all the way forward, there was no way I'd have gotten the bolt forward and pushed down. When I tried to get them back out, I had to smack the bolt back to get them out! HELP.............!!

You might be a candidate for the Innovative collet (2nd item down)

Guns only have 2 enemies, rust and politicians
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/25/2009 at 19:00
Man, I thought you were going to recommend a 4 axis CNC machine...................grin

Edited by Roy Finn - December/25/2009 at 19:58
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/25/2009 at 19:07
Originally posted by sakomato sakomato wrote:

[QUOTE]

You might be a candidate for the Innovative collet (2nd item down)

Bob is right; this is your solution.

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/25/2009 at 19:55
talk to jb its one of his favorite rounds.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Dave Wilson View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave Wilson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/25/2009 at 20:40
i don't think anyone mentioned the fact that not all FL dies actually size brass enough. RCBS dies are notorious for this. have heard quite a few and have had 2 dies myself that simply didn't size the brass small enough to fit in a sammi chamber that was on the snug side.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic