OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Toughest scope for the money ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoppir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Toughest scope for the money ?
    Posted: December/21/2009 at 21:52
Hi everyone, new guy to sight. Looking for some info. Im looking for scopes to put on 270 and 300 win mags. I was wondering whats the toughest scope for arround 200 dollars avalabe.Can any scope in this price range truly hold up for a very long time to the recoil and abuse of real world hunting. I will be using these rifles in truely remote areas. I dont want a touchy easily thrown off scope. Ill be on my property in the bush country and dont have a store down the street if you know what i mean. Ive have a ss10X  I put on my fifty bmg. Good scope, but my 82 recently bumped the focus off. I dont know if I truely trust it yet.The fifty is hard on all scopes. Looking at buyung 4-5 scopes for myself as well as some friends of mine. Dont want to spend a ton of money with real high end scopes. Most shots under 200 yds. Just need something tough as nails. Low power would probably be fine or even a fixed power, any suggestions? Are fixed power scopes more reliable?
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/2009 at 22:31
Check this thread by John Barsnes

Tough Hunting Scopes

Edited by Roy Finn - December/21/2009 at 22:32
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/22/2009 at 07:25
Bushnell elite 3200 10x40 fixed would be a fixed tough scope. Less moving parts and has great reviews.  Recoil tested with a 375h&h I believe.  Right at the $200 dollar mark you talked about.
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/22/2009 at 08:03

Burris 3-9x40 FFII is proven to be a tough scope and most of the fixed powers in this range. 

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
brodeur272 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brodeur272 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/22/2009 at 10:36
Nikon Prostaff 4x40 or a Buckmasters if you can find one...
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/22/2009 at 11:21
I believe Kickboxer proof tested the 4x Pentax Game seeker on a 458 lott without issues.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
diggler1833 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote diggler1833 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/22/2009 at 14:01
Don't count out the good ol' SS.
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/22/2009 at 14:49
Originally posted by diggler1833 diggler1833 wrote:

Don't count out the good ol' SS.

I agree with yo here but he isn't to sure of the SS because of the one on his .50. HOWEVER,   I think that the reputation behind the SS is the best when it comes to durability.  BTW to the OP did the scope get knocked out of focus from the recoil or a mounting issue?  Not many stories come up about problems with the SS.
hoppir View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoppir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/22/2009 at 16:27

I beleive it was the recoil that did it, because I always check the touque of the scope rings and base prior to shooting. After it happened I checked again and nothing had loosened up or moved. I followed barrets instructions and even called to confirm the torque pressures. I believe recoil,but Im not a optics expert either. I shot about 120 rounds before it happened. I think the ss  is just to powerfull at fixed 10x for thick bush hunting anyway . I think 4-7x  adjustable would be about right. I appreciate all the help guys

Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/22/2009 at 17:15
I think you want a fixed power Id spend a little more and go Leupold FX3  6x42  with long range duplex it has great glass is really bright has hold over marks for longer shots set the center cross hair at 200 next dot at 300  next dot at 400  heavy line below at 500 check this to see how your ammo and caliber correspond but should be close.  Burris also has a 6x42  in its Fulfield II line that is closer to your price range.  Weaver has a 6x but for a little more I'd rather have the Burris and a lot rather have the Leupold.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/23/2009 at 07:25
What about the SS variable?  Have you looked at that?
hoppir View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoppir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/23/2009 at 09:21
There more than Im looking to spend, and I still dont know if I trust the ss , I still have to send mine in for repair.
Oldtrader3 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldtrader3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/23/2009 at 09:26
Buckmasters, absolutely the best for the least money as far as scopes are concerned.

Edited by Oldtrader3 - December/23/2009 at 12:13
CDR3
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/23/2009 at 09:33
bushnell 3200 elite no comparison
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/23/2009 at 09:46
Originally posted by pyro6999 pyro6999 wrote:

bushnell 3200 elite no comparison

as in no comparison its tough?
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/23/2009 at 10:00
its tough, its basically the 4200 elite just has a different lens coating.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
hoppir View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoppir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/23/2009 at 22:30

Thanks for the great feedback guys, its realy helping me narrow down the field. Theres so many scopes out there, that it would take forever to research them all,Great info.

lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/07/2011 at 21:14
My vote for the toughest scope for the money is the FFII.
gglass View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gglass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/07/2011 at 22:01
My vote still would go to one of the SS fixed models.

Although, after watching this video review of the Swarovski Z6 rifle scope, I might have to rethink my choice.

"Let me guess... This isn't about the alcohol or tobacco."
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/07/2011 at 22:04
Wow, Lucytuma, you performed quite the Lazarus with this thread!

Excellent
-Matt
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic