OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Thanks to all for great advice: Kahles delivers!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Thanks to all for great advice: Kahles delivers!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wadeocu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Thanks to all for great advice: Kahles delivers!
    Posted: December/21/2009 at 13:16
This is belated but proven true and worthy thanks to all of you experts who gave me advice on a scope purchase almost two years ago.  I posted to this forum and got some recommendations for scopes within my price range.  I purchased a Kahles American Hunter 2.3-7x36 from samplelist.com for $450.00.  I have had two opportunities to take deer during the last minute of shooting light that would have been impossible with an inferior scope and at a time when my Nikon Binoculars were insufficient but the Kahles scope gave a clear target picture.  The photo below is the buck I took last year on 12/19 under these conditions and I just took a (not quite as) nice 8 point this year on 12/19 under the same exact light conditions/time, but this time I was in a darker wooded area rather than an open field and the Kahles delivered again!  Great advice on an investment that paid off - thanks!  I'm patting myself on the back for taking your advice here:

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/2009 at 13:18
nice buck congrats we love success stories!!!
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
JF4545 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JF4545 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/2009 at 13:34
Smile Kahles are truly great, Im looking at another just because the sales price is so good! Nice Buck Wade Dude!!!
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/2009 at 14:00
Nothing wrong with a little pat on the back for taking good advise especially when you gets nice results as you did. Nice buck.....congrats.
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/2009 at 15:59
Great place to get first hand advise, this is a great place to hang out!
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/2009 at 16:04
That is a nice buck and the picture is great. You look like quite the happy fellow.
What gun, caliber and mounts were you using? Added- I found your old post and the 30-06 Paul Jaeger built on a Mauser FN action sounds suweeeet!

Thanks for the great post,
Doug

Edited by tahqua - December/21/2009 at 16:07
wadeocu View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wadeocu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/2009 at 16:39

Thanks to all for the congratulatory remarks.  This is a great place for advice and fellowship too!

Doug:  Yes that is my beloved Paul Jaeger custom rifle.  My Father was in charge of the catalog and buying at Dunn's for over 15 years in the 80s and 90s (check the hat in the photo).  This business is now sadly extinct, but in its prime Jaeger moved from Jenkintown PA to Grand Junction TN to become part of Dunn's and offer gunsmithing services through the catalog as well as stocking the gun room.  I was fortunate to be able to rub elbows with some world class gunsmiths as a teenager.  I was even more fortunate that my Father thought I should have a Jaeger rifle!  This was a Christmas gift for me in 1989.  He bought up individual parts as it was his job to sign off on surplus for liquidation and he began putting parts aside for this rifle.  Some of the parts are true gems like the Claus Willig engraved floor plate, bolt and grip cap (not sure what that part is actually called).  It has a Jaeger trigger (superb) and detachable scope mount that is rock solid and completely reliable (I remove it every time I clean the gun and it has held a true zero for 20 years of use - I have only adjusted the scope twice, once with the original scope and once when I replaced the Redfield with the Kahles).  One day the head gunsmith was in his office and said 'Hey, I have a surplus stock and, if you buy a trigger, we can put that 30-06 together for Jack'.  I affectionately call it 'The Spare Parts Rifle'.  It is not a pristine show gun, but it has it all where it counts and it is one of a kind.  It is my most prized personal possession.  I have NEVER failed to kill a deer with one shot with this rifle in 20 years! (knocking on wood)  The Redfield scope was definitely the short pole in the tent, but I now have the complete package thanks to the great resource of knowledge and experience found on this forum.  Merry Christmas everyone!
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/2009 at 17:30
Nice deer and nice rifle... I tracked it down, too.  You have a great hunting rifle.  

I'm guessing this is very similar to yours...

Edited by Kickboxer - December/21/2009 at 17:39
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
wadeocu View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wadeocu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/20/2010 at 11:34
Opticstalk.com delivers again!  I posted a similar thank you note over in the binoculars forum after getting some Zen-Rays based on the kind and learned advice from this forum again! (http://www.opticstalk.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=21495&PID=272890#272890)

Folks here sure seem interested in the rifle so here are some closer shots of it.  I'm kind of proud of it if you couldn't already tell - best gift ever!

By the way, I hope this does not come across as 'showing off'; I'm just tickled to share this stuff with folks who actually care and take interest.

All the best - Jack 
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/20/2010 at 11:50
No worries Jack, we love hunting stories and pics of guns and animals.  Thunbs Up
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/20/2010 at 12:04
Is the Dew Drop In Bar still in Grand Junction. I remember the Squirrel Stew. Very Spicy. I spent 8 weeks on the Ames plantation in 1975 UT Forestry. Lots of big Deer and Quail.
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
SD Dog View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire
OT Scratching Post

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SD Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/20/2010 at 13:10
Very nice Jack.  Thanks for sharing.
If nobody ever said anything unless he knew what he was talking about, a ghastly hush would descend upon the earth. AP Herbert

Stupidity & ignorance have been the foundation for many certainties.
wadeocu View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wadeocu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/20/2010 at 13:22
I'm not sure about that 3_tens.  My time there was from 82 until the mid 90s and I was not yet of legal drinking age at the time so I guess I didn't pay attention.  The Junction Inn was the restaraunt we always stopped in at afetr the hunt.  I used to hunt on Woodlawn Plantation just south of the Ames Plantation.  I unserstand there are a lot more deer out there now but, sadly, wild quail are all but a legend now. 
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/21/2010 at 01:24
That is a very nice rifle and setup!
Would you be so kind as to post some close up pics of the detachable mounts? Both with scope on and off?
Mounts that hold zero like that is worth a second look!!!!
wadeocu View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wadeocu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/21/2010 at 09:24
Originally posted by 8shots 8shots wrote:

Would you be so kind as to post some close up pics of the detachable mounts? Both with scope on and off?

Sure thing 8shots - I will snap some pictures this weekend and post them when I get a chance.  It is a Jager QD mount which can still be found on auction sites etc. from time to time, but it is most similar to a Griffon & Howe design which I beleive can still be pruchased new.  I'll get back with pictures shortly. - Jack
wadeocu View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wadeocu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/28/2010 at 10:28
Originally posted by 8shots 8shots wrote:

That is a very nice rifle and setup!
Mounts that hold zero like that is worth a second look!!!!

I posted a new thread in the rings and bases forum on this here:

I think this is what you were after 8shots. - Jack
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic