OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

What Scope to buy

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chsinwhitetails01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What Scope to buy
    Posted: December/20/2009 at 21:50

I have a question for everyone...

I have been doing right much still hunting lately, and right now i have a 3x9x40 on my .270 bolt action. its ok for hunting with the dogs here in Va. but lately all im doing is still hunting. The 3x9 just doesnt cut it for sittin in a stand. I was lookin at either a 4x12 or 4.5x14. But just not sure of what brand is the best for low-light and good clarity..

Any suggestions would be appreciated
dls56 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dls56 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/20/2009 at 22:59
I like the lower powered scopes myself but in answer to your question the Zeiss Conquest scopes have some pretty decent glass for a moderate price point. I have a 4X12 VXII Leupold on a .308 that is pretty good but the Zeiss 3X9 on my .270 is better in low light.
I took one at 300 yards a couple of weeks ago with the .308 the compensating reticle set at 9.5 matches the bullets drop, it's partly what you get used to doing I guess. I like the bullet drop hash marks in my reticles (they work well with practice) the Zeiss has a Rapid-Z 600 reticle and the Leupold has a LR reticle.
Good luck, there are so many too chose from it's dizzying.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/20/2009 at 23:34
Trijicon 5-20x50 Accu-Point 30mm Rifle Scope Standard Crosshair w/ Green Dot Trijicon 5-20x50 Accu-Point 30mm Rifle Scope
Stock # - TR231G
  • Matte
  • Standard Crosshair w/ Green Dot
  • 30mm
  • Free Sun Shade w/ Purchase
$1,019.95
Add Trijicon 5-20x50 Accu-Point 30mm Rifle Scope to Cart 
How bright a scope is in low light depends on several factors.  The quality of glass.  The size of the objective and the power of the scope.    6x42 is bright  7x50 is bright 8x56 is bright so in really low light to brighten up the optic dial down the power to about 7x or lower and the scope will be brighter.  If you hunt from a fixed position you can make use of additional power to examine the game and decide if it is what you want to shoot.  Low power is fine for hunting in brush but an illuminated reticle helps in low light and in brush. I think you would really like the scope above and if it is out of the price range I recommend a Bushnell 4200  4 to 16x 40.  I think you will need 4x or 5x on the low end and could probably live with 6x on the low end but not higher.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/2009 at 10:11
Originally posted by Chsinwhitetails01 Chsinwhitetails01 wrote:

I have a question for everyone...

I have been doing right much still hunting lately, and right now i have a 3x9x40 on my .270 bolt action. its ok for hunting with the dogs here in Va. but lately all im doing is still hunting. The 3x9 just doesnt cut it for sittin in a stand. I was lookin at either a 4x12 or 4.5x14. But just not sure of what brand is the best for low-light and good clarity..

Any suggestions would be appreciated

Price range?
Chsinwhitetails01 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chsinwhitetails01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/2009 at 10:52
I'd like to keep the price of the scope 800.00 and under. My girlfriends dad has The Zeiss Conquest on nearly all of his guns, and he says thats they way to go. But thats all he has ever shot so thats what he is used to. and When i go to get a new scope it will definitely have the compensating recticle. On long shots, i get iffy on my crosshair placement. Thanks for the suggestions so far, I have been reading alot about the higher powered scopes, and anymore suggestions are welcome!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic