OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Everything Else > Almost Anything Goes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

dogs

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SChunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: dogs
    Posted: December/20/2009 at 17:27
Anybody here using a pet containment system like the wireless or wired no fence systems?  Opinions?  Recommendations?
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/20/2009 at 17:31
real fence - yea I know thats not what you wanted to hear but it works best.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
SChunter View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SChunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/20/2009 at 17:32
that's what I was thinking!  I was just hoping someone would convince me otherwise!
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/20/2009 at 17:35

Are the dogs going to be left outside alone?,  I trained my dogs with a shock collar when I was with them and they won't usually leave the yard even if unattended.

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
SChunter View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SChunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/20/2009 at 17:39
Boykin spaniel--I am in town and the dog will be out alone during the day--just don't won't him in the road or neighbors' yard, but just don't want to fence back yard!  I have thought about an overhead lead for during the day between trees, with shade and water. . .
Sgt. D View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sgt. D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/20/2009 at 17:49
My niehbor uses a overhead lead and I like it. If I had an outside dog that is probably what i'd use. Less maintaince than a fence and more reliable than the invisi-fence.
Take care of Soldiers, Show em how its done and do it with em, Run to the Fight & and hold your ground! I die my men go home! If you're a NCO and this ain't you. GET OUT! GOD BLESS AMERICA!
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/20/2009 at 18:19
two of my brother in laws have them and they work very well for them, one has a beagle the other has a lab.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/20/2009 at 18:51
Uh Hunter....Do they have the invisi fence or the run?
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/20/2009 at 18:53
the wireless one with the collar and the box that sits inside the house.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/20/2009 at 20:46
I don't use them but I know a lot of people that do. They work as do most of the e-collars of any style. Ohm's Law rules, especially with dogs. Whether, perimeter, bark or hunting collar, they do a good job.
I use e-collars with my bird dog and it has saved me from losing her a bunch of times.

Doug
Monster View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/2009 at 00:32
Good 'ol fences work real well unless you have a dog like mine (black lab) who has hops like Michael Jordan.
"Get Busy Livin' or get busy dyin'" -Red (Shawshank Redemption)
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/2009 at 01:33
I've contained a Lab and 2 Dobermans with invisible fence for several years.
Only problem I've found is you can't keep other dogs out of your yard like you can with chain link.  
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/2009 at 08:13
Good Point Mark.  My sister has a Cockapoo not even a year old.  This dog literally flies.  She is fast on her feet too.  When she gets it in her mind that she wants out we haven't been able to stop her.  Even using both the invisifence and a 4' chain link fence together doesn't stop her.  Problem is she is moving so fast and launches at least 6 foot before she gets to the fence.  She is poetry in motion when she jumps, clearing the 4' fence and landing several feet on the other side.  She is already in the air before the collar even triggers and she is in the detection zone for such a short period of time unless we turn the system to max sensitivity it doesn't even fire. 
I do have to say though. I never knew a dog could do a backflip while sailing in the air from a full run, land on her feet then pick-up speed with a yep from the zap.  It was like a jet fighter lit it's afterburners. LOL
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/2009 at 08:43
I use the invisible fence for two things to keep the dog in the yard and another one to keep them out the flower beds.  they dig like they have fresh eggrolls in china waiting on them
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic