OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Help Selecting Scopes

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Old Glory Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help Selecting Scopes
    Posted: December/20/2009 at 16:25
Hi I have three rifles I need to outfit with optics...all ARs.

I have a 16 inch AR equipped with an ACOG TA31RCO 4X32 I like that set up for mid range shooting and I am very happy with it.

The rifles that need scopes include:

24 inch 1x12 twist bull barrel Fulton Armory Varmint upper.
Thinking
: Super Sniper 16x42
My local range is 100 yards.  I will spend most of my time there however I will  be joining a range in Maine which goes out 400 yards.  Will be bench rest often but I will also be out in the field eventually.

18 inch LaRue Stealth upper
For this one I was going to save up and get a NF 2.5x10x32 mil dot
Use will be similar to above but more mobile weapon

16 inch White Oak Armament fluted DMR Upper
Looking for a close range optic for this one.  It is very light with the fluted barrel.  I liked the idea of red dot but I have an astigmatism and I am concerned the dot will be blurred due to some posts I read elsewhere.
Choices here with the above caveat:
Aimpoint CompM4
Eotech XPS2
ACOG TA44SR-10 Circle Dot  hard to find reviews of this sight.

Any advice, recommendations, or reviews will be greatly appreciated.

About me.  New to rifles.  Shot pistols for a while, punching paper at the range.  Could achieve pretty good groups but would not call myself a marksman.  My situation changed and I was busy and went to the range maybe once a year.   I always wanted an AR but never felt the need to rush out and get one.  The recent election changed that. 

So far I have been shooting with Iron Sights and with the ACOG above.  Can hit the paper at 100 yards easily with the ACOG.  My eyes are not great and I struggle with the iron sights.

SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/2009 at 10:58
For the 24 your right on with the 16x or if you want it to be a dedicated long range the 20x SS would be a good choice as well being you said your eyes are not the best.  The 18 you said the NF which i agree with..  The 16 would be my choice for a moble weapon more compact and easier to handle in CQ and put EOTECH with maybe a 3x or even 5x Flip to Side Magnifier.  

From what you state I see this...
24" target paper punching gun
18"  Hunting varmits gun multiple ranges
16" because every AR owner wants a M4
Old Glory View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Old Glory Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/2009 at 15:14
Originally posted by SVT_Tactical SVT_Tactical wrote:

Hi thanks for the reply. You pretty much nailed it. Though I would like to take the 24 out into the field at some point.

I was also considering a 1-4x24 for the 16. Nightforce or Accupoint. Two decicions made one to go.

Any thoughts on the compact ACOGS? 1.5x
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/2009 at 15:24
Originally posted by Old Glory Old Glory wrote:

Originally posted by SVT_Tactical SVT_Tactical wrote:

Hi thanks for the reply. You pretty much nailed it. Though I would like to take the 24 out into the field at some point.

I was also considering a 1-4x24 for the 16. Nightforce or Accupoint. Two decicions made one to go.

Any thoughts on the compact ACOGS? 1.5x

With taking the 24 into the field with a high power scope like the 16x or 20x you loose your ability to make shoots at close ranges.  As long as the shots where going to be at a distance you would be ok.  Image having you intended target at say 30yds with a 20x scope and the target moving!?!?!?!?! 

The good thing over the acog or the eotech would be the time it took to get on target.  Some would disagree that the 1-4 x24 would be just as fast but to me the eotech is just about the fast thing i know of to get on target. Then if you add the magnifier you open another window of distance you can shoot at.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/2009 at 17:20
For the 24" gun: 16x42 SS is a good scope, but your distance are probably not long enough to make 16x necessary for that.  10x42 is a better allround choice.  If you plan to make it out to the field with it though, consider a variable, perhaps something in the 4-16x range.  There are not a lot of good variable scopes in the same price range as the 10x42 SS. Unless you are wiling to spend a bit more, I would stick with the 10x42.  One other option that is not much more expensive is the new Hawke Sidewinder 30 Tactical 4.5-14x42.  I am currently testing one and will know more about it in a couple of weeks.

For the 18" gun: the best allround scope for that is probably the 3-9x42 Super Sniper.  However, with FFP reticle it gets a little thick at high magnification.  Nightforce 2.5-10x32 is a very nice scope, but I would probably go up to a slightly larger objective lens if you plan to spend a lot of time at 10x.  Zeiss Conquest 2.5-10x44 with MilDot is a good choice, as is Bushnell Elite 6500 2.5-16x42 with MilDot.

For the 16":  Trijicon 1-4x24 is probably the best allround choice.

As far as money allocation strategy goes, I would probably start out by buying a Bushnell Elite 6500 2.5-16x42 with MilDot.  It will make a good fit with either the 24" gun or the 18" gun or both.  See if it fits your needs and requirements and go from there.

ILya
Old Glory View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Old Glory Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/22/2009 at 10:42
Thank you Ilya. What are your thoughts on the NF 1-4x24 for a close range optic? That would make the 16. RECCE clone.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/22/2009 at 14:05
Originally posted by Old Glory Old Glory wrote:

Thank you Ilya. What are your thoughts on the NF 1-4x24 for a close range optic? That would make the 16. RECCE clone.

The Nightforce 1-4x24 is a very nice scope.  However, for close range I would probably lean toward the Trijicon 1-4x24 owing to Trijicon's excellent reticle illumination.  I think it is just plain faster.

ILya
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/23/2009 at 10:53
Te Accupoint 1-4 is an excellent optic.

Also, on the sample list there is a USO SN4 1-4, it is a great scope (was mine) and has a good FFP reticle.  The down-side is that illumination is not always on (as it is on the Accupoint) but it is a great scope.

The Accupoint 1-4 is the best all-around fit for what you need.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic