OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

around $200 scope

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Josh79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: around $200 scope
    Posted: August/14/2005 at 10:49

I am looking for a scope for my remington model 710 .270. I am looking at the burris fullfield 2 ballistic plex w/ free spotter, bushnell elite 3200 $198, simmons aetec $129(good price). I want a 3-9 (or close to it) power scope. I really like the free spotter with the burris because i am also wanting to get a spotting scope plus the "ballistic plex" recticle seems like a nice feature. Have never used a scope with that kind of recticle but i think it could be useful once i figured out how to use it. i also wonder about the rainguard feature of the elite 3200. I live in south dakota and have had my cheap bushnell scope that came with the .270 fog up on me many times. I thought i have seen  something that you can coat the scope with to keep it from fogging am i correct? The aetec's price is what has interested me in it as i have heard good things about it. I really dont know much about the burris fullfield 2 but i think that right now it is barely edging the elite 3200 to me. what do you guys think? i just noticed that the spotting scope is a fixed 20x scope. Would this be a good spotting scope for searching for deer and judging them or should i look into an adjustable spotting scope? i know this is a rifle scope forum but i figured id just add it here instead of making another post. thanks

ranburr View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ranburr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/14/2005 at 14:40

The FFII is a great scope for the money.  The spotter is, well let's just say it is free.

ranburr

Josh79 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Josh79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/14/2005 at 14:50

ya thats what i thought it is free lol. well now i would have to say 1.elite 3200 (rainguard) 2. nikon buckmaster (hear good things about this one) 3. simmons aetec(the price is so tempting) 4. burris ffII ( is the ballistic plex reticle useful?)

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/14/2005 at 19:29
Even without a free spotter I would take a Fullfield II over a 3200 unless rainguard is of particular importance.  FUllfield II has better glass and a more interesting reticle.  Both should be durable enough.  I have not tried a new buckmaster, but the old one was not as good as other scopes in this price range.  The best glass and adjustments in this price range would be Sightron S2 3-9x42.  For my needs (good low light performance and durability) I would go with SIghtron S2, then Fullfield II than 3200.

Ilya
Josh79 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Josh79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/14/2005 at 20:18
Guess i never really thought about sightron s2 havent heard much about them but did some searching and found some useful info. since they dont carry sightrons here i found a 3x9x 42mm plex recticle $199 @(competitor) usa anyone know any other sites that carries them? sightron sounds like a great scope, elite 3200's rainguard is nice, and fullfield II's ballistic plex recticle would come in handy. So many nice options. Could i put all of this into one scope for the same price? lol so right now i am pry leaning towards sightron but just slightly. now if it had rainguard or ballistic plex i would be sold lol. thanks for the help
308LAW View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 308LAW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/15/2005 at 10:18
I own both the fullfield II and the elite 3200, the Burris has much better glass, is much clearer. As far as the fogging up problem, most better quality optics will not fog because of the coatings that they already have. I demenstrated this to a friend with the fullfield II that I have, it was about 20 degrees and I had him breeth on it, no fogging, he didn't believe it was possible, but is is. Leupold vari-x IIs and above are the same way, as are most quallity optics.I am not familier with the sightron but you can't go wrong with the burris.
1=Burris fullfield II, 2=sighttron s2(from reputation) 3=Leupold vari-x 1, or 4=Bushnell elite 3200
p.s even better would be an older Leupold Vari-X 2 or 3, I know a lot of people would argue but I feel the older Vari-x II's are better than the Fullfield II's, by a little anyway. IMO
Another thought to consider is that Leupolds resale value is much better that the above brands of scope, and if you ever decide to upgrade to a better one the Leupold will hold its value very well, as well as guns do, because of the name.
Josh79 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Josh79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/15/2005 at 10:32
i doubt i will ever take this scope off of my .270 and if i do i will put it on something else most likely so resale value doesnt matter
baldhunter View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baldhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/15/2005 at 18:50
I just put an Aetec 3.8x12 AO on my 7mm mag.The AO scale was on the money,I liked the tight audible clicks on the adjustment,the scope is very clear and sharp from 3.8-12,and the adjustment was pretty darn close.From boresight(did it by eye),third shot put me in the bull,next five shots under 3/4" group.I'm impressed!The new Master Series are supposed to be even better.I truely believe the Aetec can hang with the high dollar scopes.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/15/2005 at 19:02

Aetec is a good scope for the money, but I do not think it is in the same class as Fullfield II and Sightron S2.  The glass is not bad, but in my experience it has not been as durable and the quality is not as consistent.

That being said, new Master series scopes will be, apparently, competely different and built in a different factory.

We'll know how good they are when they get here. 

Ilya

TwoLaneBlackTop View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TwoLaneBlackTop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/16/2005 at 13:21
You should also look into the weaver grand slam line.

Link to Weaver Grand Slam line on SWFA

Ookster View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ookster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/17/2005 at 23:59
Anyone heard when the new Simmons Master Series scopes are supposed to start shipping?
abailey54 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abailey54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/19/2005 at 16:38
Hey Josh the Aetec is a great scope for the money. I bought a new 2.8x10x44 last Dec. it is very clear and has a great FOV. Also good eye relief. MY brother bought me a Leupold vx3 so I am selling the Aetec. You will be surprised at the quality.
abailey54
Henry455 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Henry455 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/22/2005 at 16:19

Another scope you might consider is Muellers new Tac II 3-10X44 "wide angle". It has a mil-dot reticle, target knobs, 90/95 MOA windage/elevation adjustments. Its marketed as a hunting/target scope. You can see it here

http://www.muelleroptics.com/TacII/3-10x44TACII.htm

Josh79 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Josh79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/24/2005 at 17:24
never heard of mueller before i guess. i was really set on getting a sightron sII then i started to think about the ballistic plex on the burris fullfield II. Does it really work well and what exactly do you have to do to figure if the lines are correct? basically is it a pain to figure out or is it fairly easy. i really know nothing about it or mil dot reticles so i figured i would ask you guys about the ballistic plex. i read something on there site i think it they were saying that it is calibrated for the proper calibers but then they say a bunch of stuff about calculating it for some things. I am going to put it on a .270.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic