OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Nikon

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brasskeeper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nikon
    Posted: August/14/2005 at 06:56
What is wrong with the Nikon Buckmaster and Prostaff series scopes? Nobody on here seems to like them. Also why does the cheaper Prostaff have a "full lifetime warranty" and the more expensive buckmaster have a "limited lifetime warranty"
brasskeeper View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brasskeeper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/15/2005 at 16:58
Come on guys dont let me down
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/15/2005 at 19:16

Nikon Buckmaster has been fully redesigned recently, so I do not know much about it.  Earlier generation scopes, IMO, were pretty good, but a bit overpriced for their features.  Prostaff scopes are low end products that do not offer anything particularly exceptional that can not be had for less money (optics in Prostaff scopes were a major disappointment for me).  Alternatively, for the same money yuo can have more.

Nikon Prostaff and Leupold Rifleman are two cases of large well-known companies selling low end scopes and charging a healthy premium for their name recognition without the performance that those names are associated with.

Chances are I am going to get roasted for this by local Leupoldo-philes and Niko-philes.  Well, so be it.

Ilya

ranburr View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ranburr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/15/2005 at 19:42

Don't worry Koshkin, they can roast me too because I feel the same way!  The new Buckmaster looks really nice, but I have yet to use one.

ranburr

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/15/2005 at 20:13

Well, in all fairness I've never been rosted by Nikon fans.  Leupold fans, now, that's a different story.

Ranburr, you are a 1911 guy, right?  I've been looking at some 1911s recently and while they still point down in my hand (curved backstrap should fit me better), I could swear that some manufacturers started using thicker grip panels which are more comfortable for my hand.  The 1911s I've been looking at were the S&W and Sig GSR along with one the Kimbers.

Is it my imagination? or are there different grips out there now?

Ilya

ranburr View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ranburr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/15/2005 at 21:47

Standard production 1911s generally come with the same size grips that they have always come with.  There are exceptions like STI and others that come with slimmer grips.  There are thicker grips available from almost everyone in the business.  What you might be noticing is that grips are really feeling different from undercut vs non-cut frames, memory groove/bump pad beavertails vs standard grip safeties, and arched vs flat vs wedged vs bobtailed mainspring housings.  Incidentally, of the three makes you mention, the S&Ws are the best for the money.  Kimber has apparently worked out their problems, but I stil only buy Series One, OR made pistols.  The GSR has issues and is not currently produced. 

ranburr

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic