OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

how much magnification needed for 600yds

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cowski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: how much magnification needed for 600yds
    Posted: December/19/2009 at 00:22
looking for scope to shoot up to 600 yds coyotes or targets mainly was considering 10x ss .but after trying my varible on 10x i realized i could not get on moving targets close.since i am now looking at a varible. what should the top power be. i thought 10 would be enough but what do y'all think.
never corner something meaner than you are jbc
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/19/2009 at 08:37
almost impossible to answer as your not saying if the movers are at 600 yds, or even the gun is capable of the shot.. magnification is just one variable, how do you gauge your holdoffs, in moa, mil,?  if your going to use a second focal plane, your holdoffs will vary with the power setting etc.?????
cowski View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cowski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/19/2009 at 22:36
clarification movers generally less than 100 yds gun is capable of 425 yard shot it has made several. trying to add 100 yds onto range. have been using duplex but wanting  to use mildot or custom turrent to guage holdover. i always shoot 300yds plus with max power. was wandering if moving from 10 to 12 ,14 or 15 power, would help moving from 400yds to 500yds on coyotes?
never corner something meaner than you are jbc
Al Nyhus View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Al Nyhus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/20/2009 at 08:34
     For a simple, lightweight, no muss-no fuss scope with a good reticle, this would be an excellent choice:

If you're wanting something with turrets and an a.o., here's another good one:

If going to a 30mm tube isn't a biggie for you, another great one would be:

I haven't personally used the Bushnell, but can vouch for the Sightrons.

Good shootin'. Smile   -Al

"Marsupials scare me".
diggler1833 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote diggler1833 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/20/2009 at 09:03
10x is sufficient to add 100yds to your 425 if you have the capabilities (I'm assuming you do if you can already make a shot at 425).

Bindon Aiming Concept helps getting on targets a little faster with a bit more magnification by utilizing both eyes open to locate and sight in on the target at the same time.  Takes practice to get good at it, but isn't hard, and everything with shooting takes practice.

SS 10xHD would be a good choice, almost went with that one myself.  Ended up going with a USO ST0-10.  I personally find mildot reticles just a bit harder for gaging holdover initially, they do work pretty well for corrections.  Something with a half-mil mark or MOA reticle every 2MOA or so would be a bit better for holding over IMO.  Some of these reticles also are waaaayyyy to busy for me too.

Occasionally magnification can be a bit of a hinderance on shooting at movers, since the dancing crosshairs at a higher power might cause the shooter to spend more time trying to correct his sight picture.  A lower power doesn't mean that it will be more accurate, it just means that you won't see your errors as much and in a lot of cases...be able to concentrate on the target better resuting in a better shot.
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/20/2009 at 10:00
personal recommendation is a 4.5x14 leo with the varmit reticle, and use the windage hold off for mph hold offs on movers if you choose sfp or a 2.5x10 nxs, (if you want to stay at 10x). 10x is good on dog sized animals at 500 yds, but 14 is even better. mil-dot is no different than ballistic drop reticles unless the scope is ffp, for hold offs or hold over.
Jon A View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jon A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/20/2009 at 13:38
Yeah, with the possibility of movers under 100 yds I'd feel sort of handicapped with a fixed 10X.  The 3-9SS would be a better choice.  If all the shots were going to be long the 10X would be better but the 3-9 can still get it done at distance.  Here's an example of what it can do on my light 7-08 hunting rifle at 700 yds:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mmv7tKh5CJU

That's if 9-10X is enough for you on the top end.  It'll get the job done, but a bit more magnification might be nice for coyotes blending into the background, peeking out from behind sagebrush...but that's up to you. 

Edited by Jon A - December/20/2009 at 13:39
bagderRed View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bagderRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/20/2009 at 14:52
That's friggin good.  Thanks for the clip Jon.

Badger
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/2009 at 09:39
Less than 100yds out to 600yds?  Well everyone has said it already that for anything under 100 you will need a low power to get on to target but out to 600yds is another ball game.  Best for you would be a 3x9 or 4x10 or any variable with at max the low end of 5x (MAX)  the 600 yd shot is a different ball game and will take a lot of skill and practice.  You talking about going from a less than 100 yrd target to 600 yd target the size of a coyote.  I would say carry a shot gun for the less than 100yrd targets and get a 16x SS for the 2-300yrd and beyond mark.  My 2cents
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/2009 at 09:55
Whislt you are buying a variable, do yourself a favour and get something at least till 14X on the top end. Preferably even the 6,5-20.
Yes, the 6,5 may be a bit much at the less then 100yds movers. How fast are the movers and what size are they?
sscoyote View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sscoyote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/22/2009 at 00:47
Remember u're trying to hit a 6" target  on the 1st shot with some degree of consistency at 600 yds. This means consistent MOA performance in field conditions. I'm shooting a 223 AI with 65 gr. SGK for coyotes this season out of my AR. It's easy to see what kind of performance to expect by running a ballistics program and punching in 1 mph of x-wind for your load. Remember aiming dead center gives ~3" error all around for a vital hit. With a .3 BC at 3300 fps i'll only take that shot if there's no air movement that i can detect at all. Had those conditions just 2 days ago and got this dog at 557--

using this TK Lee reticle in a Weaver V16(3, 3MOA dots for vertical)--

I'm not saying this is "The Way", it's just 1 way. Fact is this combination is pushing it for anything beyond 500 yds., IMO. The optic is more than capable though.

Edited by sscoyote - December/22/2009 at 00:53
Steve
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic