OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Reloading & Ballistics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

New 7MM Mag. Forster Die

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JF4545 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New 7MM Mag. Forster Die
    Posted: December/18/2009 at 23:16
Perhaps some or one of you guys can help me out on this? One of the calibers Im learning to reload is a 7mm Mag. and the rifle is a very old but in great shape Browning Bar (B Made 1970)    So some of the older brass Ive tried to resize has not worked. So it was suggested I buy a RCBS small dies set. Well that did not fix all my problems so then a man said try the Forster Die and it will work for your fussy auto....Ok says I and I ordered the die, and Ive tried full length resizing and it works great resizing the base of the brass if I take the Decapping/Expander Assembly out. But when its put together this is what I get. The original problem was the belt or base of the brass was always to large after resizing to chamber back into the action. Im guessing this is a simple fix if someone can suggest what I need to do, maybe the die is out of proper adjustment???Thanks! J....

Edited by JF4545 - December/18/2009 at 23:22
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/18/2009 at 23:31
That doesnt look good.  I have one 300WM belted magnum rifle that shoots only virgin brass because the belt does not get resized.  So I just have to buy new brass each time, sucks huh - thats why I shoot a lot more .308  easy to load for.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
JF4545 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JF4545 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/18/2009 at 23:36
The thing is though if you pull the Decapping/Assembly, then the die does resize the portion of the brass that normally hangs (right above the belt) up in the action Wes. 
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/19/2009 at 00:11
Horniday makes some lube in a spray can that will not kill the powder or primer and you might spray the cases so some goes inside the neck and try that to see if that is a fix.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
JF4545 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JF4545 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/19/2009 at 00:32
I just got it Wes, There is an assembly adjustment, that has to be perfect. There is a hole in the die and if the hole is not aligned with the bottom third of the expander die, well you see the results of it in the pic.. Now I have to find out how to stop the necks from buckling, its not bad but I can see it and it could cause weakenss in the wall I suppose.....The brass now works great in the Bar action though...Smile I have some hornady lube and its quick to use but the Imperial Sizing Die Wax sure works nice too!

These autos are more fussy than bolts, especially the magnums....Im slowly learning though..

Edited by JF4545 - December/19/2009 at 00:35
sakomato View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sakomato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/19/2009 at 07:56
Hey Julio, there is a collet made to resize down to just above the belt, 2nd item down on this site

I have been told it works great to resize the pressure ring area just above the belt.  I have never had a problem with this so do not have one.

As far as the buckling goes, there are several reasons but they all usually have a common reason and that is trying to force something down the neck that is too large or hangs up.  Example I have done it with bullet seating if I don't inside chamfer.  Also have done it when trying to neck up a caliber, i.e. pushing a 338 expander into a 308 neck.

Can't really say on yours but I would try chamfering the inside of the neck and making sure it is well lubed before running the expander down it.
Guns only have 2 enemies, rust and politicians
Texas View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Texas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/19/2009 at 15:51
I bought one of the Larry Willis Collet dies based on his website description. It worked well in the trial runs I have made with it.

I have not had to use it to get my neck-sized brass to chamber correctly in my bolt guns yet though. That is through three and four firing-resizing cycles if I remember correctly. 300 WM, 338 WM, 300 Roy, 375 H&H and 458 Lott, none have swelled to the point they don't want to chamber. I have read that the self-loaders like BARs are more finicky in this regard, though.

The Larry Willis die appears to be a well-made piece that I have found works as advertised.

Julio, have you mic'ed your expander ball? It looks like it must be too big if it does that to the cases before the necks are even sized down. Or it could be the mandrel holder is screwed down too far? I don't use forster sizing dies so I am not sure how they go together, just throwing out random thoughts...

Tom
"There are some things which cannot be learned quickly and time, which is all we have, must be paid heavily for their acquiring. They are the very simplest things..." Ernest Hemingway
JF4545 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JF4545 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/19/2009 at 16:17
The 7mm mag. brass does swell alot , but it seems to have more to do with the rifle its being used in..The loads are what one could consider medium loads, certainly not hot...Ive heard from severl guys in the past they are hard to reload for.. The first problem in the picture was taken care of after making the proper adjustments to the expander die, My fault...Ive got the new Forster die working well now, it works on the Bar Auto where the Hornady and RCBS Small dies left off...The buckling has ceased, Not enough lube in the necks, Used the Hornady Spray Lube.. All is well in the reloading cave once again...Thanks for the tips!Smile

Edited by JF4545 - December/19/2009 at 16:17
Texas View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Texas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/19/2009 at 17:36
All good then. How is the BAR 7 Mag shooting for you? I have shot my bud's 338 BAR when I mounted a scope and zeroed it for him, seems like his shoots better than I thought it would.
"There are some things which cannot be learned quickly and time, which is all we have, must be paid heavily for their acquiring. They are the very simplest things..." Ernest Hemingway
JF4545 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JF4545 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/19/2009 at 20:49

Yes, back on course more or less. I cannot say how its shooting becuase Im in the process of having 3 of my bigger rifles braked, the 7-08 and 270wsm will go to mag-na-port. Im sending them there because they have 6 different sizes of muzzle brakes and that includes the pencil barrel on my Kimber Super America.. This way the brakes will not be as obnoxious as some, plus still work well, they will match the barrel also. Ive been researching this for months off and on....................My 1970 Belgium made Bar has been sent to Browning for all new springs, etc. Then I had it repainted flat black and I refinished the stock and ended it with several coats of oil....I like the natural look of wood verses the poly coat look....The Bar also has a new 3x10x42 Swaro with 4A reticle....So hopefully the bar will shoot well for me , especially with the Brake added...

You might say since joining this forum, Im relearning many things and some bad habits Im trying to unlearn.....I have to say that with the inexpensive scopes and bad habits Ive had in the past Ive still managed to always fill my Deer tag every year if not opening morning every year. Elk has been another story though.. Im pretty excited about getting these rigs braked and yes my wife just got me some top of the line (MSA Muffs) hearing protection...
I really appreciate all the help Ive received from some of the folks here at Optics Talk...
Merry Christmas!!Merry Christmas

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic