OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Reloading & Ballistics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Book recommendation

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shooter4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Book recommendation
    Posted: December/18/2009 at 13:55
Will anyone recommend a good book for reloading beginner please?  Something that cover the basics nice and easily and then some more?

Thanks ya all.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/18/2009 at 13:59
the 2nd edition lee is excellent as is the 7th edition hornady manuals they both go into great detail on the how to and the whys.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/18/2009 at 21:28

+1

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
RONK View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/18/2009 at 21:34

+2

Those are actually my first and second choices. Very good reading.

Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/19/2009 at 09:16
try to find a reloading book that is geared more to the type of shooting you will be doing, as suggestions from one type of reloading disipline can contradict those in other types.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/19/2009 at 09:20
i will add that the thing that sucks about the hornady manual is that it is geared towards using only the bullets they make, the lee manual is setup to cover everything which i like the lee manual seems to have more powders to choose from as well. the new nosler manual has a lot of good reloading data, but not a lot on the how's and why's. once again though, they use only their own bullets in there data which is fine.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/19/2009 at 10:04
 The Hornady manual has a good colored pictorial section that details pretty well what happens in the chamber when a cartridge is fired, in terms of pressure levels, headspace, brass behavior, case stretching etc.
  I think it is very important for any handloader to have a good grasp of those things, regardless of brand of components used, etc.
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/19/2009 at 11:50
The Lee manual can be had for about $12.00, it's has enough information to get started with and yes it does have a wide variety of bullets and powders.  I believe most of the powder manufactures have data available on thier web sites.  Theres also a few dvd's on reloading available, maybe even a good local library will have info?
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
trigger29 View Drop Down
X = 180 Y = 90 (X+Pyro)+(Y-Pyro) = ?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/19/2009 at 17:43
Originally posted by pyro6999 pyro6999 wrote:

the 2nd edition lee is excellent as is the 7th edition hornady manuals they both go into great detail on the how to and the whys.
+3 These are the first two I bought. Lot's of good reading in them.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/2009 at 09:11

Lee is the book I would go with as a beginning reloader.  explains the concepts and their products in detail as well as gives you the best data for reloading.  Good thing about lee is they don't make any components (ie bullets, powder, .....) so they are not bias in whats in their material they use everyones product to make up their data. 

Trays 7940 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trays 7940 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/2009 at 09:41

I don't shoot innocent animals, just the one's who look guilty.
BillyWayne View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BillyWayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/2009 at 12:15
The ABCs book is decent.  I also like the Lee book.  Also, ask here about things you have questions about.  The advice is free.
John 11:35
The're taking the hobbits to Isengard!!
JF4545 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JF4545 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/2009 at 17:35
Some more good ideas guys! I thank you all as well!! I just started reloading this year and I have to say Ive come quite a ways. But I can also see there is no end to what can be learned, as in most of life... I did not know you could get loading recipes off of sites that make powder

MERRY CHRISTMAS SmileReloader

Edited by JF4545 - December/21/2009 at 17:51
shooter4 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shooter4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/22/2009 at 03:36
Same here. THANKS. Just bought my book.
rjtfroggy View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rjtfroggy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/22/2009 at 05:46

RCBS not only has a book for beginners but a DVD that covers the how to's and the equipment needed to get started.
It also covers more advanced equipment and the proper way to use it.It used to be hard to find but I think CAbela's and Midway both carry it now, if not it can be had from RCBS directly.

froggy
JF4545 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JF4545 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/22/2009 at 22:43
Thanks Mr Froggy, Im gonna buy the RCBS book or DVD. Ive gotten since I joined OT forum, Hornady, Barnes, Nosler , Speer reloading manuals and the Sierra Reloading Data Big Book and last night after reading this thread I went down and got the Lyman Reloading Handbook 49th edition....OT guys told me to buy as many RL books as possible. So being the obsessive personality I am , I did!!!!!Big Grin I am a information Freak, now I just gotta read em all from time to time, these are text books, not novels..........I like the newest Lyman book the best so far, but I load mostly Barnes Bullets.............
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic