OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

6 factor zooms - pros and cons

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Palehorse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 6 factor zooms - pros and cons
    Posted: December/18/2009 at 12:40
I was looking at Bushnell 6500 the other day, when it occured to me, that this scope -

- would seem to be a do it all scope.  Perhaps its a master of none, but would certainly cover most any hunting or target situation, short of some tactical close range speed game.

So what is wrong with my thinking?  What am I missing?

I looked for a competitor or two and came up with this Z6 -

- is it really 3x the scope?

Any e
Palehorse View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Palehorse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/18/2009 at 12:42
(continued from above) xperiences with 6 factor zooms?
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/18/2009 at 12:47
the z6 is a 6.4x zoom in this case.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/18/2009 at 13:21
I haven't used an Elite 6500 yet, but the Z6 is an incredible scope!  It has a very forgiving sight picture, with a total lack of any "tunnel vision."  Optically, it's just about as good as it gets. 

As for pros and cons, from my vantage point, they are...

Pros:
- Versatility in a variety of hunting conditions.
- Much wider FOV on the low end of the power range compared to scopes of the same magnification on the high end.

Cons:
- Quite a bit more expensive than most 3X or 4X zoom scopes of equal optical quality.
- Usually larger and heavier than most 4X zoom scopes.
- Not very conducive to first focal plane reticle orientation, because the reticle would be very small at the lowest power due to the extended zoom.  This isn't a disadvantage for those who don't like FFP reticles.
- A tad lower light transmission than a typical 4X zoom because they usually have an extra lens element.

Really, the main disadvantage to the 6X zoom scopes is cost.

Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Sandracer View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sandracer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/18/2009 at 16:11
To me It's the question of need! Ask yourself if you will go all the way down to 2.5 power or all the way up to 15. If you really will use this, it should be great! For a hunting rifle I may start out at first light at 3, then never go over 6 to hunt. Maybe go clear up to 9 or 10 looking for horns. Cheap for a new 3-9, not for the 2-12!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic