OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Shooting
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Tactical Stock Choate?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tactical Stock Choate?
    Posted: December/18/2009 at 09:49
Does anyone have any first hand experience with the Ultimate Sniper or Ultimate Varmit stock by Choate on a Rem. 700 or Win. 70.  I have both and like the looks but haven't bitten the bullet to try one yet.  I have heard they have a harsh grip but thats easily fixed with a little sanding.  I have had HS precission, McMillian, and several other high end chassis systems in the past but haven't encountered a Choate in real life yet to feel. 
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/18/2009 at 10:20
I have one for Winchester Model 70 30-06.  There are some things about them that a lot of people don't like... heavy, rough, but mostly cosmetics.  I dropped in a model 70 (with a Timney trigger and barrel cut 6inches to 20in) that was shooting about 6-8MOA at 100yds after cold bore using surplus Korean and Greek ammo and went to 1MOA or under with the same ammo.  The "stock" stock was defective, but I really like some of the features on the Ultimate Sniper stock... adjustable cheek piece, adjustable bipod mount, bedding system, and I liked the weight.  Someday, I intend to put a really accurate action and barrel in it to see how it performs.  
I suggest you try to get one "in hand" and see how it feels to you before purchasing one.  Many people regret the decision.  I'm probably odd...
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Duce View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/18/2009 at 10:34
I have one on a Savage 30-06 and I love it , I am a big guy and being able to increase the length of pull and adjust the stock to fit me was a factor in buying . It is heavy but its great for a range rifle or for p dogs when I set up  in one place.
Duce Smile
Duce
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/18/2009 at 12:57
Good insight, I'm 6'6" and the length of pull is a good option
Mike McDonald View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike McDonald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/19/2009 at 10:13
About 10 years back I bought one just to see if all the internet hype about the 'Plaster disaster" being junk was true.  It wasn't.
I found that the stock is heavy, which I like, the grip is vertical which to me makes a good offhand or prone shooting position, and I could use the stock in position shooting with a sling to good avail.
Things I did not like were the blind magazine, flat bottom at the butt, the sliding "T" rail in the forend.
It neither improved or decreased the accuracy of the action I dropped into it, but I felt better about it right after I took a dremel tool to the Logo on the side.  Nothing "Ultimate" about it.
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/19/2009 at 12:30
The one I saw, had lead in the forend, After Mcmillian everything is a compromise.
0311GRUNT View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 0311GRUNT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/20/2009 at 00:28
Originally posted by Dale Clifford Dale Clifford wrote:

The one I saw, had lead in the forend, After Mcmillian everything is a compromise.

i disagree on the terms that the mc is great for the urban sniper, but any other app you are carrying to much weight in.....bell-carlson makes one that is fantastic and has third of the weight.
You cant hit what you cant see
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/2009 at 08:54
I am also looking at the McMillan Marksman (for the Win 70) Any insight on this one?  Action is getting ready to go out to get a custom barrel and some other tweaks.  Would you say the McMillan would be better than the Choate.  With this rifle I am going to attempt to start shooting at the 1000yd mark.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/2009 at 09:19
A Choate "Ultimate" is less than half the price of the cheapest McMillan.  For that, you get about 80+% of what the Mc offers and some other things that I, personally, like.  I don't care that it is rough, I'm rough, I don't care that it is relatively heavy, I like pain...  I like some of the things that Mike McDonald did not.  One thing I can tell you, it isn't going to fall apart on you.  As Mike said, it is NOT ultimate anything, but it isn't bad for a low priced, functional, tac-style stock.  I don't love it, I don't hate it.  I like it a lot better than what I started with on that rifle.  Is the McMillan a better stock???  Every McMillan stocked rifle I have picked up "feels" good.  It is certainly more aesthetically pleasing and has features that are more "human compatible".  The Choate is merely functional...  "Better" is a relative term that is based upon opinion.  Would I like to have a McMillan stock, yes, but I prefer the price of the Choate for my purposes.  If I were recommending,  I would recommend the McMillan because most people are far more likely to be happy with McMillan than with a Choate "ultimate".  And, key to many, the McMillan is far better looking...

My 30-06 with the Nikon IRT scope...

Edited by Kickboxer - December/21/2009 at 09:22
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/2009 at 12:19

Thanks KB  I think I will go with the choate for my sps tactical 308 and the Mcmillan for my M70 300 win mag.  Then i can figure out which ones best.

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/2009 at 17:47
I have the Ultimate Varmint stock on my Savage and I have been very happy with it.  It is not the most refined stock I have ever seen, but it works.

I liked it a little more than the Ultimate Sniper one due to a slightly smaller grip that did not need to be sanded to adequately fit my hands.  I also like the flatter forend for shooting off of sandbags, plus the Ultimate Varmint stock is a little lighter.

Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/2009 at 18:25
I had a Savage 10FP with one like Koshkins.  I liked the feel of the stock but I like Mc Millan lots better.   Ilya is that the leatherwood scope with the little markers that you can adjust for hold over off to the right?

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/2009 at 18:29
Originally posted by Urimaginaryfrnd Urimaginaryfrnd wrote:

I had a Savage 10FP with one like Koshkins.  I liked the feel of the stock but I like Mc Millan lots better.   Ilya is that the leatherwood scope with the little markers that you can adjust for hold over off to the right?

Yep.  This is a picture from this review:

ILya
diggler1833 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote diggler1833 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/22/2009 at 14:26
It is a better stock than the tupperware factory stocks out there, but I wouldn't rate the Choate very high on anything other than value.
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/22/2009 at 14:54
So McMillan quoted me a little over $500 for the stock in the configuration I wanted it and said about 15 weeks to get it.  I am going to try the choate first and go from there.  Now do you guys think the varmit is a better prone stock than the sniper?  Heard a couple guys say they like the stock but which they would have gotten the varmit instead because of a little movement with the bipods being at angles.  ?????

Edited by SVT_Tactical - December/22/2009 at 14:54
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/22/2009 at 15:03
Wait for and get the Mcmillan.  Choates are not even in the same league as the McMillan.  IMO they just suck all the way around.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/22/2009 at 15:06

I still may get the Mcmillan but i am going to go ahead and get at least one choate for my own personal knowledge of how they handle.  I have several guns that need stocks this is just one option.

Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/23/2009 at 14:57

I now i am killing with this stock think but I just looked at the Axiom stock and they have a new thumbhole style comeing out.  Any users fo the Axiom or heard anything about them I have used there 10/22 version but not for a large centerfire.

supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/23/2009 at 15:04
Personally I am not a fan of thumbhole stocks because you have to break your firing grip to turn on and off the safety.  It is the same with the Choate though, but that is just a personal opinion.  Kind of like putting a pistol grip stock on a Mossberg shotgun, just seems to make things more complicated to me.  
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/23/2009 at 15:06
who uses safeties?   Just kidding just kidding. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic