OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Bushnell 3200 10x40 vs SS 10x40

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bushnell 3200 10x40 vs SS 10x40
    Posted: December/17/2009 at 09:07
I have been doing a lot of research on these two different scopes and need some info and feedback from anyone that may have tried both.  I know the SS is widely recieved as a great scope.  As well as the bushnell.  The one thing that keeps swaying me to the SS is the side focus model that is availble.  Does anyone know how the focus works/is on the 3200?  I am debating getting both and trying.  I have a 308 now with a Nikon 3x9 that works great but want more, tactical, for my applications.  I also have a custom build ar with a 24" shaw barrell and want to change the cheap ole' BSA I bought while i did my research on what fixed scope I wanted.  (Who can blame me for $70.00)  Either way Price isn't an issue.  But i don't want to go over the $500 mark if possible for pure pricipal of overkill I dont' ever anticipate going over the 5-600yrd mark shooting anytime in the near future.  I appreciate the help and any advice.  Here is a little break down of what I am going to be doing.

.233 - out to 4-500yds precission shooing.
.308 subsonic loads to 250-300 yds and some regular loads to beyond.

I am more of a target shooter but when I hunt with these little deer we have in NC i usually head shot them.
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/17/2009 at 10:04
Also does anyone know the max MOA on each of these?
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/17/2009 at 10:31
I don't believe the Bushnell has adjustable parallax, it is fixed

In all honestly the rear parallax adjustment SS is the better of the two.  I have one of each both ways and the one on the rear seems easier to use and can easily be used with either hand.  Plus it is $100 cheaper.

The Bushnell has 80 MOA of adjustment the SS has an advertised 120 MOA, mine has more like 140 MOA. 
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/17/2009 at 15:10
Good info.  Any problems one might experience without the adjustable parallax on a fixed power scope?
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/17/2009 at 15:16
For the distances you are wanting to shoot out to it should not be to much of an issue as long as you always make sure you are perfectly square behind your scope.  The higher the magnification and the longer the distance the more apparent parallax error can become.

But if you just go with the SS then you have it and don't have to worry about it.  The SS's are really good scopes.  That would definitely be my choice of the two.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/17/2009 at 15:30

A little more on the situation, I had an older Tasco World Class (pre chinese crap) that went to H*ll in a handbasket the last time I went out shooting.  Sent it in to Bushnell, since they own tasco now, and they said they would replace it with a scope of my choice up to a certain dollar amount and if I wanted to pay the difference I could. I want a fixed power, thats what they have as far as fixed power.  i had been looking at the SS all along and figured on getting it anyway for my other gun but I a trying to determine if I should something else from bushnell and get two SS instead.  I didn't know if I am going to see a difference at the 5-600yd mark that the Bushnell wouldn't be able to handle.

Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/17/2009 at 15:37
Bushnell makes some good scopes, no doubt about it.  I have seen that particular scope go through a 4 day precision rifle class and it performed great and had zero problems.  Passed the box test and done very well.  It does have a great rep for a cheaper priced scope. 

Personally I do think the SS is a little better, but if you are getting a really good price it might be best to go with the 3200 and get the SS as well.  Or if you have need for another scope for a different type of gun, get something like a Bushnell Legend which is another really good cheaper scope and get two SS scopes.  Either way, I am sure they would both serve their purpose well.

Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/18/2009 at 08:59

Has anyone had any experience with the Bushnell at those ranges?

Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/18/2009 at 09:04
Originally posted by SVT_Tactical SVT_Tactical wrote:

Also does anyone know the max MOA on each of these?

I have a new SS10xHD mounted on an Anzio Iron Works "Light" .50BMG (18lb with scope mounted/18" barrel).  It has exactly 38.4 mils in az and el which works out to 132MOA.  
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/22/2009 at 07:40
Bushnell finally got back to me on the scope I sent in.  FUBARed.  Gave me a "credit" per say for any product under their label.  Asked about the fixed 3200 and they said I could get that but would have to pay a little for the difference.  So <50 bucks later I have one on the way that they said I should recieve middle to end of January because of a backorder (which they told me after they had charged my CC for the difference) lol Oh well i will order the SS and compare first of the year.
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/30/2009 at 09:38
The man in Brown walked it today with my Bushnell, guess it didn't take as long as they expected to get more through the quality review and out to me.  Now I need a SS ar mount but they don't have them til next month...AHHH lol  Guess I have no choice but the PERP.  Oh well.  I will get the review up soon.  I did notice already the eyepiece actually does adjust and focus.  Is this new i didnt' think the bushnell had the AO
diggler1833 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote diggler1833 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/30/2009 at 14:19
I think it might be the diopter adjustment you are referring to.  The fixed 10x has parallax set at 100yds IIRC.  The AO would either be on the objective bell or on the left side of the turret housing.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/30/2009 at 14:33
Originally posted by SVT_Tactical SVT_Tactical wrote:

The man in Brown walked it today with my Bushnell, guess it didn't take as long as they expected to get more through the quality review and out to me.  Now I need a SS ar mount but they don't have them til next month...AHHH lol  Guess I have no choice but the PERP.  Oh well.  I will get the review up soon.  I did notice already the eyepiece actually does adjust and focus.  Is this new i didnt' think the bushnell had the AO

Eyepiece focus is there for one thing only: getting the reticle as sharp as possible.

ILya

Edited by koshkin - December/30/2009 at 14:33
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/30/2009 at 14:36
Originally posted by diggler1833 diggler1833 wrote:

I think it might be the diopter adjustment you are referring to.  The fixed 10x has parallax set at 100yds IIRC.  The AO would either be on the objective bell or on the left side of the turret housing.

Your right, i was having, errrr a moment of stupidity  thanks for correcting me. 
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/31/2009 at 16:10

Any one know the lens cap sizes for the 3200? Need some flip ups for it.

Edited by SVT_Tactical - December/31/2009 at 16:10
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/31/2009 at 16:21
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/03/2010 at 08:34
Originally posted by cheaptrick cheaptrick wrote:

http://www.opticstalk.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=1181

It looked like it had been dormant a while so I PM'ed Brady and posted here.  There are a lot of unanswered ones on that thread. Unless they are PMing the answers and not posting.?.?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic