OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

What scope

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peerke59 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What scope
    Posted: December/16/2009 at 11:50
Hi Guys,
I am new on this forum.
I just began shooting for a year now, and in a couple of months I will have my first own rifle.
I want to purchase the Sig Sauer 551 sport in 0.223
Now I want some advice for my choise of scope on the Sig.
I want to shoot on the range of my club at 100 meters with it, but in the future I also want to do some dynamic shooting with It, ISPC I think they call it.
And also, I want to go shooting a couple of times a year on a 200 and 300 meter Range here.
Is it possible I can do this with one scope?
And, if so, what scope is the best to do that job .
In a price range from about 750-1250 dollar
I hope somebody has some good advice for me.
Thanks
If you never shoot, youn can never mis.
glock24 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote glock24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/16/2009 at 12:53
It sounds to me like you're looking for 1-4x variable.

The Burris XTR, Trijicon TR24G, or Nightforce NXS is where I'd start.
0311GRUNT View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 0311GRUNT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/16/2009 at 13:25
I agree with infidel only if you will stay inside 300m. At that distance you could use a simple duplex and it would cover the "target" area perfectly. Since you are a new shooter I would talk to the guys:gals at the range and try to pick up some shooting techniques such as the BRASS method which says Breath Relax Aim Steady Shoot. This is the one I use as it was the first one I was taught in  the Corps. There are several very good methods out there. Have fun and enjoy your new found sport "Peerke59"
You cant hit what you cant see
0311GRUNT View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 0311GRUNT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/16/2009 at 13:33
Breath Relax Aim Steady Squeeze...*clears throat* sorry the last S was wrong and it was bugging me
opeagle View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote opeagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/16/2009 at 21:03
 Inside of the range you are talking about I personally use my 2x24 Mini Acog for the type of "Action" shooting you referenced.
 Not really a scope, more of a slightly magnified CQB type of optic.
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/18/2009 at 09:21

ACOG all the way for what you looking for IMO

Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/18/2009 at 19:52
  Holland 

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd - December/20/2009 at 00:54

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Peerke59 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peerke59 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/19/2009 at 04:23
Okay guys, thanks for the replies so for.
Regarding the last reaction on my question: I don,t think I want the scope with the higher magnification.
I already have a Bushnell Elite 4200 6-24x50 tactical ( that I bought in the States on the internet!!)
So there are still shops that send scopes outside the US thank god!!
Because I don't have a lot of money, and the scopes in Holland are twice the price as in the US!!
Personly I think the ACOG scopes are a good choise, but with what recticle?
Also the IOR Valdada tacticals like 1-4x 28, or mayby the US optics tactical, 
And I think the Elcan are nice scopes also.
I very much like the tactical looks on this scopes beside that they are all high end scopes.
But  my only consideration is : is 3 or 4 times magnification enough for shooting tide groups on 100 -300 meters!
And about the price tag, I don't has to be a new scope, Here on the SWFA side are nice trades for secondhand scopes too, that will suit me right.
And about the shipping I have a freind living in the US, so I can purchase It his help, and he will send it to Holland.
That is what i did with the Bushnell scope too!
greetings from Holland.

Peerke59 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peerke59 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/19/2009 at 04:23
Originally posted by Peerke59 Peerke59 wrote:

Okay guys, thanks for the replies so far.
Regarding the last reaction on my question: I don,t think I want the scope with the higher magnification.
I already have a Bushnell Elite 4200 6-24x50 tactical ( that I bought in the States on the internet!!)
So there are still shops that send scopes outside the US thank god!!
Because I don't have a lot of money, and the scopes in Holland are twice the price as in the US!!
Personly I think the ACOG scopes are a good choise, but with what recticle?
Also the IOR Valdada tacticals like 1-4x 28, or mayby the US optics tactical, 
And I think the Elcan are nice scopes also.
I very much like the tactical looks on this scopes beside that they are all high end scopes.
But  my only consideration is : is 3 or 4 times magnification enough for shooting tide groups on 100 -300 meters!
And about the price tag, I don't has to be a new scope, Here on the SWFA side are nice trades for secondhand scopes too, that will suit me right.
And about the shipping I have a freind living in the US, so I can purchase It his help, and he will send it to Holland.
That is what i did with the Bushnell scope too!
greetings from Holland.

Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/19/2009 at 08:51
your not going to be shooting tight groups on 4x at 300 yds. the gun might get 1 inch groups at 100 if everything is perfect (especially the reloads). nxs compacts 1x4 with the FC reticle if your going to action shoot for IPSC, or their 2.5x10 npr2 zero stop if groups are more of a concern. Heres one with a wilde chamber, and a "target" model (trigger,bolt,) etc, and you really have to work at it to get sub moa. sig triggers are anything but target grade.
Peerke59 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peerke59 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/19/2009 at 12:02
Okay, So when I understand well , I wil not be able to shoot tight groups on 100-300 meter with 4 x times magnification.
So I need 2,5-10 to do that right.
But what about the capebility to shoot CQB ISPC with this kind of scope.
Can I do quick target aquisition, both eyes open with that kind of magnification also.
Ofcourse for close range I have to set back the scope to 2.5 x mag then.
Or Is it just impossible what I want, and Do I need 2 different scopes.
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/19/2009 at 12:26
not sure what you mean by tight groups, to me the sig simply isn't capable of tight groups at any range, so the choice of scope doesn't have a foundation. even with a capable gun shooting tight groups with a 4x is hard at just 100yds. the 1x4 nxs is a real 1x at 1x and can be used with both eyes open, and heads up, but so can 2.5 npr2, (which doesn't have thick bars going to the edges and thus, block part of the sight picture). most action shooting IPSC past 100 yds, uses steel targets as its easier to score. 8x10 with a 4 and 300 yds are fairly easy, but a 4x6 head shot with a 4x is a hard shot, . planning for the optimum equipment package for the stage you will be shooting is called "gaming" the stage and is all but impossible to do unless the course of fire has been sent out, and even then will be sandbagged by the locals. The best is to have two seperate gun set ups. From what I'm hearing you would be happier with something like a 2.5x10 or the 3x9 SS.
0311GRUNT View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 0311GRUNT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/20/2009 at 00:26
Originally posted by Dale Clifford Dale Clifford wrote:

your not going to be shooting tight groups on 4x at 300 yds. the gun might get 1 inch groups at 100 if everything is perfect (especially the reloads). nxs compacts 1x4 with the FC reticle if your going to action shoot for IPSC, or their 2.5x10 npr2 zero stop if groups are more of a concern. Heres one with a wilde chamber, and a "target" model (trigger,bolt,) etc, and you really have to work at it to get sub moa. sig triggers are anything but target grade.

good looking rig there man....optics by whom?
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/20/2009 at 00:51
Anything that gets shipped outside the U.S. requires a Customs declaration. Optics that are ones used by the military would not be able to be shipped legally.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Peerke59 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peerke59 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/20/2009 at 06:27
MMMMmm, Okay I agree that hightec scopes used by military are not legal to send overseas.
But it is possible for me to buy trijicon acog scopes legaly in Holland in legal shops here, but the price is twice as much as in the states.
Fact is that most of the internet shops are not willing to send scopes overseas for different reasons.
For example : The Bushnell Elite 4200 6-24x50 tactical,  I bought in the US a year ago cost me about 650 dollar + P&P  in a shop that was willing to send it overseas, and cost about 540 dollar + P&P in a shop that did not want to send it to Holland.
So I asked my freind to purchase it for me for 540 dollar and send it to me.
And he did.
So for about 750 dollar (P&P and customs taxes) I had the scope in my house.
The same scope cost here at least 1200 dollar.
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/20/2009 at 10:12
(scope on RRA is a nxs 2.5x10 zero stop),   there alot of good "sporting scopes" that will fill the bill. you need to decide on the 1x or 10x question.
Peerke59 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peerke59 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/23/2009 at 10:39
Okay Dale,
I get It,
One question left.
when I go for the scope with the higher magnification, that  I now believe Is  probaly  the best choise for what I want to do with it.
Mayby don't buy the Sig at all, when I hear Your comment that is  no good for shooting groups at any distance at all LOL.
Problem :I like the style of the rifle, the .223 caliber and the swiss are known of their 
reliable craftmanship, so what else?
But  that is maybe not a discussion for this forum.
Witch scope combines the quick target aquisition for closer range, in combination with the lets say maximum 10x mag for the middle range( 200-300 meter ) the best?
Ofcourse in the same terms of clearity, quality and price ( new price 750- 1500 dollar )
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/23/2009 at 11:09
I wouldn't buy the sig My 2cents.  Get a noveske!
tombirdman View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tombirdman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/24/2009 at 20:19
Originally posted by Dale Clifford Dale Clifford wrote:

not sure what you mean by tight groups, to me the sig simply isn't capable of tight groups at any range, so the choice of scope doesn't have a foundation. even with a capable gun shooting tight groups with a 4x is hard at just 100yds. the 1x4 nxs is a real 1x at 1x and can be used with both eyes open, and heads up, but so can 2.5 npr2, (which doesn't have thick bars going to the edges and thus, block part of the sight picture). most action shooting IPSC past 100 yds, uses steel targets as its easier to score. 8x10 with a 4 and 300 yds are fairly easy, but a 4x6 head shot with a 4x is a hard shot, . planning for the optimum equipment package for the stage you will be shooting is called "gaming" the stage and is all but impossible to do unless the course of fire has been sent out, and even then will be sandbagged by the locals. The best is to have two seperate gun set ups. From what I'm hearing you would be happier with something like a 2.5x10 or the 3x9 SS.

I just disagree with the statement that Sigs are not capable of accuracy!
I have a Sig 556 Swat that will cut sub MOA at 100 yards with an EO TECH and EO TECH 3x magnifier.  That is not the best optics but it does it with 75 gr. Private Partisan ammunition.
Iuse it because the barrel is 1 turn in 7.  It has a thin barrel so you wouldn't think it would be capable.

I love mine.

Tom

gun collector, sword,knife collector, cigar smoker
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/24/2009 at 23:16
I am not sure what is easily available in Holland, but I think Dale is spot one and you would be best served by a a scope that tops out at 10x or a touch below that.

If IORs are easily available, perhaps you can get your hands on 1.5-8x26 IOR.

Either 2.5-10x24 or 2.5-10x32 Nightforce would also be a good choice.

For a bit less money you can get Bushnell Elite 6500 1.25-8x32.  It is not very tactical-looking, but a very nice scope.

Another less glamorous, but also less expensive choice would be something along the lines of Vortex Viper 2-7x32.

ILya
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic