OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Don't boo me out of here but...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote diggler1833 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Don't boo me out of here but...
    Posted: December/15/2009 at 20:50
So I'm in the process of planning/putting together what will be a M40A1(ish) .223AI.  I'll be spending 99% of my time shooting at targets since I've already got the field covered with other rifles when it comes to "critter gitters".

My question is this:  I've had my mind made up on getting a USO ST-10 for the rifle for a while, but now I'm starting to look a lot harder at the IOR fixed 16x.  I've lost sleep over this the last couple of nights.  I even did the "Ben Franklin" method of choosing and it came out to a draw.  I like a little more magnification, but the thought of MOA/MOA or Mil/Mil instead of a mil reticle with MOA adjustments makes it hard to justify the extra magnification of the IOR.  I also know that USO has a few less issues with their scopes than IOR does on average.

So which would you run and why?
0311GRUNT View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 0311GRUNT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/15/2009 at 23:12
uso.....for me only because of the abuse they can take....i alos do not like fixed anything.I know I will get flak from you fixed 10 guys but I like having my options.
You cant hit what you cant see
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/15/2009 at 23:58
USOptics Thunbs Up and if you want more magnification than the 10 go to the 17x or the 22x you can still pick the knobs you want and Id go EREK 1/10 mil and a GAP reticle.  
 Really with a .223 you are probably talking about under 600 yds anyway so why not look at Sightron S III  6-24x50  and  Trijicon 5-20x50.
10914 Zeiss 6-24x56 Victory Diavari 5217519961, Matte finish, #61 reticle (fine), 30mm tube, side focus, target knobs, fast focus eye piece, ring marks, lifetime transferable warranty $2,299.00 $1,699.95
The down side to high power fixed power scopes is you cant dial the power down to brighten up the image in low light.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
diggler1833 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote diggler1833 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/16/2009 at 02:23
I was looking for a more compact scope, that is why I had narrowed it down to those two.  I will never be able to afford an MST-100, but wanted an optic somewhat in the same size range.  It is hard to find something that works well with the HTG style stocks and the lower comb anyways, so a 50mm objective diameter only makes matters worse (no I'm not ordering an adjustable cheek on the stock).

Rifle may be shot out to 1K (probably rarely, but want to be able to just in case).  Did it in service rifle matches with open sights, so am guessing a 10x scope could only make it easier.  I guess USO ST-10 it is.
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/16/2009 at 09:37
I'd consier the !0X HD SS as an option too, not as "true" to M40A1 form, but if you are willing to look at the IOR, the SS should be a contender.

USO makes great scopes, and their Customer Service is top-notch, but I'd look at the 10X SS for what you want, Chris backs them totally and the reviews have been outstanding.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/16/2009 at 09:39
if your building the rifle specific to75 amax , have the magazine and throat adjusted to seat out, the rifle will do 1000 and everything in between. The uso 10 is a scope designed to be used on targets more the size of A zone IPSC over a wide range of distances and circustances. Your gun if done correct should be capable of pop size at 500 yds. Having a 40ish type gun may be something but its certainly not the best use of the combination. Why not a 6x20 something?
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote diggler1833 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/16/2009 at 21:02
Why not a target rifle/scope with more magnification?  Well, I've already got that.

The 75gr A-Max is a great bullet, almost worthy of building a rifle around.  Shot a .223 to 1K a few times in my life, albeit sans scope in competition.  The 80gr SMK and 75gr Bergers are not to be forgotten in that category too.
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote diggler1833 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/16/2009 at 21:11
Rancid.

the 10X SS is a great scope from what I've seen, and heard.  Haven't been able to dick with one yet, but I'm sure I'll get the chance in the next year unless I get told to pack my bags for a while.

I'm not trying to build an M40A1 clone, can't afford it and don't want to try to mirror one as it won't look right.  Just want that "ish" look. 

Oh well, dumb idea.  I think we can let this thread die out.  I'll be placing my order for an ST-10 MOA/MOA (haven't ever tried that before) with MOA Type 1 reticle, and #1 M40 knobs.
Sparky View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/17/2009 at 05:12
I would be interested to hear your thoughts on the USO once you get to play with it. 
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote diggler1833 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/17/2009 at 07:30
It will be probably about 4 months out LOL.
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/17/2009 at 07:33
Originally posted by diggler1833 diggler1833 wrote:

It will be probably about 4 months out LOL.

If they tell you 4, plan on 6-8.

Good luck and post pictures when you have them.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic