OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Nikon vs SS for AR-15

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nikon vs SS for AR-15
    Posted: December/14/2009 at 09:50

Comparing Nikon Buckmaster 4.5-14 to SS 10x for my AR-15. My club shoots high power out to 600 yards and Id like to get into that as well as some varmint hunting. About the same price on both. Variable VS Fixed? MOA VS. MIL? Nikon has side focus also $100 more for that on SS. Im stuck in the muckWhacko. Help out if you can.

supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/14/2009 at 09:55
The rear focus SS is actually easier to reach.  You can adjust it with either hand with the rear focus, so for lefties or someone shooting left that would definitely be better.  I have them both ways and prefer the rear focus. 

Never used the Nikon, but the SS is a great scope and if you are okay with fixed power they are tough to beat. 
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/14/2009 at 10:04
are we talking just prairie dogs, or coyotes and fox an bobcat as well? that will make a difference.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Cuda View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/14/2009 at 11:05
Yes, I do shoot Left hand. Varmints would be coyotes and fox. Level of quality are these apples to apples?
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/14/2009 at 11:13
unless you hunt with somebody or carry a shotgun with you, i wouldnt recommend using a fixed 10x scope. coyotes are to sneaky and i dont recommend scoping a coyote rifle with something with that kind of power, a 30yd shot at a pissed off coyote on 10x can be quite an experience. a ss 3x9 would work just fine but the price is a lot more. the nikon would probably be a better choice not because its got better optics (cause the buckmaster isnt even close) but because of functionability. i use a 3x9 on my coyote rifle and my brother in law uses a 6x24 but he never hunts alone, and since he usually does the calling he doesnt get the first shot, so his scope works great for dogs that hang up at 200yds or the ones on the run at 400yds when somebody in the  group misses the first shot.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
billyburl2 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/14/2009 at 11:16
Quality is pretty close IMO, it is just trying to compare a fixed to a variable. Especially when shooting at something as small and as fast as coyote and fox. The S.S. is a great scope, but running,close range shots are not really its strength. 
If it is tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/14/2009 at 11:48
I agree the Variable SS would be a great way to go.
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
Cuda View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/14/2009 at 13:15
If I were to focus on poking holes in paper at 600 which is strongest choice. On a vari  mil dot scope is the retical calibrated the same at all powers or only on the highest?
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/14/2009 at 13:16
only the highest power on the nikon i think.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/2009 at 08:29
Originally posted by pyro6999 pyro6999 wrote:

only the highest power on the nikon i think.
+1
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/2009 at 14:33
On an AR platform you have the Bi directional recoil added by the bolt slam. A fixed scope would be stronger. The added strength of the SS variable would be advantageous over the Buckmaster. I really like the 2.5-10X44 Monarch. Wide field of view, and a lot better glass than the Buckmaster for similar price.
9358 Nikon 2.5-10x42 Monarch 8407, Matte finish, niko plex reticle, 1" tube, fast focus eye piece, finger adjustable windage and elevation, factory reconditioned. $425.00 $299.95

Edited by 3_tens - December/21/2009 at 14:35
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/22/2009 at 12:44
I use the Monarch X on an LR 308, which is an AR platform made by DPMS. I wouldn't use just any Nikon for an AR type rifle. Unless you want to pony up for the Monarch X, use the Super Sniper.
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
Cuda View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/22/2009 at 13:25
I decided not to with the buckmaster but to step up to the Nikon Monarch 4-16x42. model #8423. sees to have much better reviews. I think this should cover the hunting and the target shooting.
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/23/2009 at 12:07
Post pictures when it is all rigged up.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Cuda View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/23/2009 at 12:56
will do
sscoyote View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sscoyote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/27/2009 at 21:58
The 4.5-14x mil-dot is cald. for 12x, as i'd bet the 4-16x is probably also cald. for 12 as i think all the Nikons r. That's really a good thing IMO cause u could use the mil at a smaller subtension (dots too) for downrange zeroing and rangefinding. Get the catalog. all the subtension info is in there.
Steve
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/27/2009 at 22:12
When we are talking Coyotes Im really thinking a variable scope preferably with an illuminated reticle.  My choice would be a Trijicon Accupoint 2.5 to 10 x 56 but that doesnt have target knobs however the 5-20x 50 does.  I really like the variable Super Sniper and it has a lot going for it lots of internal adjustment.  1/10 mil clicks  FFP great glass compact size - really hard to beat that for use on an AR cause that is what it was designed for. I do like higher power scopes as well for some applications and I recently bought a 4-16x40 Bushnell 4200 that would also be a good fit for you to consider. Still I would lean toward an illuminated optic if coyotes are in the mix.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Cuda View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/28/2009 at 15:35
I agree, the Trijicon will be my next hunting scope when $ allows. I really want to learn to shoot far (600 Y) thats what drew me to the mil dot and higher magnification. 2-7x is the highest I have now and served me well. I always shook my head at the guys in the store looking at the monster size scopes, especially in the thick woods where I lived. Now here I am doing the same thing.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic