OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

What pistol to get?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Preston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What pistol to get?
    Posted: December/13/2009 at 14:26
I have a friend who wants to get a pistol and his carry permit this will be his first pistol and he wants either a 9mm or a .40 he was looking at a Kahr CW9 but I keep telling him to also look at the Glocks and Springfield XD's... does anyone have a Kahr CW9 or has anyone shot one? What do you think about the Kahr CW9 would he be better off with a Glock or XD?
"I prefer peace. But if trouble must come, let it come in my time, so that my children can live in peace."
Thomas Payne, Revolutionist
Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/13/2009 at 14:29
Glock 23 my carry gun. 13 +1
"Don't argue with a fool! From a distance you can't really tell who's who!"
Preston View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Preston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/13/2009 at 14:36
I have a Glock 23 and I love it
"I prefer peace. But if trouble must come, let it come in my time, so that my children can live in peace."
Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/13/2009 at 14:41
Mine a Gen 1 it has served me well for almost 20 yrs.  although I may have 10000 rounds through it. it's still a shooter.  I have two barrels for it a comped NM and the stock barrel. 
"Don't argue with a fool! From a distance you can't really tell who's who!"
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/13/2009 at 14:42
Whats the budget? Hard to beat a tuned 1911 for carry, provided you can afford one and can shoot one accurately in a hurry.  
Preston View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Preston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/13/2009 at 14:50

Depending on what gun it is he wants it to be around $425-$550 I think so a 1911 wont happen and he likes 9mm cuz he can carry alot of rounds but i keep tellin him a .40 has more power and will carry almost as many rounds as a 9mm

Preston View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Preston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/13/2009 at 14:52
I agree a tuned 1911 is one hard gun to beat!
chandalar jack View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chandalar jack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/13/2009 at 15:19
Being that your bud is a first time hand gun shooter perhaps the 9mm would be choice for his first handgun. ammo I think is abit cheaper as far as practice ammo goes in the 9mm....I reload so I may not be up to date on what is available. The handgun needs to fit his hand for grip control which aids accuracies and recoil. My G20 is not for medium hands or for the smaller puny hands so with that thought the XD may offer what ergo's his hands require. Get him to handle some handguns prior to purchasing......I gave my daughter my CZ 40 some yrs. back and it has "snappy" recoil although with practice she was hitting her target fairly quickly. Willingness and determination on her part enabled her to over come the 40's snap and recoil if you will. This was her first auto-loader and is now after some 4yrs. ready to get another ... she likes the XD ergo's. She did not take to my Glock.

just my .02
chandalar jack View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chandalar jack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/13/2009 at 15:28
forgot to mention with todays bullet design for personal protection.....the 9mm does not give up much compared to the 40 Smith

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/13/2009 at 15:30
Originally posted by Preston Preston wrote:

I agree a tuned 1911 is one hard gun to beat!

I still daily carry a Gen II G17.....Wink

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/13/2009 at 15:31
Welcome to the OT, Jack! Sound wisdom in your post.
Preston View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Preston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/13/2009 at 15:32

I agree 9mm ammo is cheaper for practice. He shot a glock .40 and liked it but he hasnt ever shot a Kahr or an XD. I told him that he needs to hold them and see what fits his hand the best. He likes the Kahr and Glock but hasnt taken a look at an XD yet.

Preston View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Preston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/13/2009 at 15:36
Originally posted by cheaptrick cheaptrick wrote:

Welcome to the OT, Jack! Sound wisdom in your post.

WELCOME TO THE OT... GLAD YOU ARE HERE
GetSome View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GetSome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/13/2009 at 16:11
I have the 9mm 4" ported service Springfield XD and I really like it, 16+1 round capacity.  I had some ejection issues for the first 1000 rounds, so I sent it back to Springfield who then polished the feed ramp, replaced and tuned the extractor and fired a box of factory 115s and a box of +Ps through it, had it back to me in three weeks free of charge other than shipping.  Runs great now, I have three friends that have the same gun but without porting and shoot their guns quite a bit also and have had no problems whatsoever.  You might look into the XDM also the 9mm carries 19+1 and the 40 carries 16+1 also I think it has interchangeable backstraps for different size hands, match grade barrel and trigger.  Glocks are great too though, your buddy should try to see if any local ranges might rent glocks or xd's and see which one fits him best.
coyote95 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyote95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/13/2009 at 16:29
if your friend likes the feel and size of the kahr he may also want to check out the walther pps it also has the interchangeable grip for custom fit. also comes in 9 and 40 cal
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/13/2009 at 16:55
I vote for the G19 or USP compact, both in 9mm. They are easy to control and, regardless of the ammo scare, ammo is everywhere. The 9mm is easy to control and the penetration is better than all but the best of 10mm/.40 and .45 loads.
Both of these guns carry IWB or OWB easily and they are reliable as a rock.

Doug
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/13/2009 at 17:11
I have a Kahr E9 and it is a POS and I would not trust it for anything.  I realize it is a different model but it has turned me off Kahrs considerably. 

Down at the school Front Sight in Nevada that I attend ofter rumor has it a Kahr has never made it through a 4 day class without a complete failure of the gun to where it cannot be used for the remainder of the class. 

My particular model the entire firing pin mechanism blew out the back one day while my dad was shooting it.  It had less than 500 rounds through it.  Pretty disappointing. 
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Sgt. D View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sgt. D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/13/2009 at 17:42
Hiding OK nobody throw any rocks!

For budget and fit you might have him look at the M9 Baretta. They are extemely simple and in my experience very reliable. The grip is a good fit for most and it handles most any ammo without issue. Yes I'm prejudice being that it is my go to pistol. But it is a good starter pistol. And holds value well enough to make a decent trade when you are ready to look at something else. You can get it in 9mm or 40, but I would stay with the 9mm for ammo cost and availability. This being his first pistol, he should think more towards affordability and a good fit so he will get more enjoyment out of time spent shooting. After he has spent suffecient trigger time then he will be better able to know what he likes.
Good Luck!
Take care of Soldiers, Show em how its done and do it with em, Run to the Fight & and hold your ground! I die my men go home! If you're a NCO and this ain't you. GET OUT! GOD BLESS AMERICA!
silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/13/2009 at 18:15
IF he is a friend then why recommend any of these guns to him?Jerry Springer
Seriously... There is something to be said for old school.  My first two picks would be a Browning Hi-power followed by a CZ-75something. They are fast, reliable, and more ergonomic.  Then since the number one rule of concealed cary is to conceal, the Sig 239.  I know, I know all the other kids have Glocks and XD, but didn't your mother raise raise you not to be Sheeple?

Beretta 92??? Ask me about Beretta PartsCencored I am still back ordered a recoil spring for my model 85 after 6 months. At least they are not the Jerks that H&K was to me.

Your bud is new to this stuff.  Then he does not need to focus on the whole power thing.  He can work into that.  HE needs a gun he can afford to practice with. Better a gun that he can hit with damn fast.  More bullets more bulk.  HE does not need a lot of bullets, just a gun that ergonomic enough that he can make the first round count. If the first one counts then you don't need to worry about the other as much.Dirty Harry 

Again I'd put a 9mm Hi-power, a CZ or a Sig ahead of most of the guns listed already. He can trade up later.
"If we weren't all crazy we, We would go insane."   Jimmie Buffet

WWW.formitch.com

Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/13/2009 at 20:50
I know this will sound very old school but my suggestion if for him to buy a Smith and Wesson .357 revolver in either 4 inch or 6 inch with the 6 inch being one that he will be more likely to shoot accurately and the 4 inch being easier to carry.   
Des Moines PD doesnt trust Kahr enough to let their officers use it for off duty.

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd - December/14/2009 at 23:30

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic