OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Selecting a New Scope

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chandalar jack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Selecting a New Scope
    Posted: December/12/2009 at 18:37
I am not one who articulates one's thoughts into words well so forgive me if my writing is not up to speed if you will. I stumbled upon SWFA's website and then noted the scope comparison chart that consisted of #1 rank on down.....one very cool study. I am very fascinated by the knowledge here on the diverse make and models of scopes. I doubt I will hang my hat here much as my knowledge and understanding of what makes a scope works is about nil except to zero in a rifle and not bang it up. Quality to me means money....never have enough of it but you gents know how to be very persuasive in what is actually a good scope.

Johns recent study on the new Summit has me intrigued....I believe I have thought long and hard for a scope for my custom Mauser built by Satterlee Arms. It is a sweet lil' 1909 Argy in the venerable 9.3x64 Brenneke chambering. Danny Pedersons barrel, dble. sq. bridges, Blackburn trigger, custom floorplate etc... That ole' saying  "life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun" stuck with me for sometime and just gnawed away at me...along with my wife who heard about my decision to get this project off and running.

My use or need of a scope "must be clear", tough, and repeatably accurate. Some early morning shooting or almost into late dusk settings requirement. Currently I have on it a M8 3X....it will suffice for now and will put it on my pre-64 aught six.

The game animals I have taken amount to tundra grizzlies, ak. moose and barren caribou and occasional black bear. I currently have 4 Leupys that need to be rebuilt by customer service...so you see I am not entirely pleased with what I have used in the past irregardless of well they rebuilt it. I was however pleased with one Leupy that was rebuilt in a timely manner...my collection is just to many I believe.

The Summit seems to be my next outrageous purchase and expect from what John has done for testing and his overall positive feelings have persuaded me.

I will lean toward purchasing this scope from these fellas here at SWFA.....have not checked for sales but from what I have read I can assuredly pick one up here or thereabouts.

Keep up the good work!

Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/13/2009 at 15:25
Jack you have had some wonderful opportunities to  hunt and we wish you many safe and successful hunts in the future.    If  you are used to hunting with a 3x I think you would really like this scope.  It has a reticle that is illuminated by both tritium and fiber optic.
Trijicon 1-4x24 Accu-Point 30mm Rifle Scope Red Triangle Trijicon 1-4x24 Accu-Point 30mm Rifle Scope
Stock # - TR24R
  • Matte
  • Red Triangle
  • 30mm
$764.95 
Add Trijicon 1-4x24 Accu-Point 30mm Rifle Scope to Cart

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
chandalar jack View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chandalar jack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/13/2009 at 16:43
Howdythankyou for the reply.......have mulled over the Trijicon, have a friend in the lower Yukon drainage that speaks highly of them. That lighted tip on that post.....how does that effect point of aim at distances of 250yds and over? I would not think that it would cover up the impact point or would it? Maybe I am not clearly stating this......does that point hinder real accuracies?

Does this particular scope offer up good dusk/dawn shooting? Have had enough encounters in the wee mornings and late evenings with bears to know outside of just point and shoot that if I have an illuminated optic....can I count on it?

My .457WWG with there aperture sights works well for "in your face affairs", this particular Mauser is a long barreled and no back irons.....had it made for one thing in mind..distance shooting. It may never really be a true long distance shooter but it might on occasion. I generally keep on hand a rifle without a scope and NECG irons on most rifles, loaded with heavier than thou bullets.

Scope selection from my standpoint here in the upper Yukon requires just what you mentioned...a variable from a low power setting of 1x on up to a 5x. What variables I have had and used failed at one time or another...taking one off and mounting on a .375 RUM and off to a .06 for example,depending on if I now favored an unused caliber that has been sitting around for some yrs and scoping it.

Reading them pages of however many there were surprised me that some scopes should not be mounted on calibers higher than a .30 caliber magnum so now that has me seriously wondering if my next buy will be reliable......Trijicon. Tell me more. I have not found much personal information on its extended use and how hard it was worked ie....recoil, weather etc......

please feel free to point out something on this Trijicon that is positive and/or negative. Have until spring to get something else mounted for spring grizz hunt.

regards,

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic