OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Overwhelmed---Help with scope choice for 30-06

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bboy623 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Overwhelmed---Help with scope choice for 30-06
    Posted: December/12/2009 at 15:21
Ok guys, I'm a little overwhelmed with all of the GREAT choices in scopes. A few of you may remember I asked a while back about a scope for my Browning BAR Safari II .270. Well I've decided to get a Zeiss Conquest for it and have it zeroed at 200 yards. I'm hoping "Santa" will get that for me for Christmas. :)

Well I just bought a 30-06 (Mossberg 4x4 bolt). I'm not too familiar with the 30-06 round, so I don't really know its effective range. I plan on using most likely 180gr. Either Remington Core Locks, Winchester Super X, or some Federals.

Here are some scopes I'm looking at:

I really like the idea of an iluminated reticle like the Bushnell 4200 2.5-10X50 has. But it is the same price as a Zeiss Conquest! I'm sure the Conquest has better glass for low light hunting (whitetail deer). SO, I have read and read and read and know the Bushnell 4200 3-9X40 is an Awesome scope for a great value. I also know the Nikon Monarchs are great scopes and some of you give an edge to Bushnell due to the rainguard. I was dead set on a Nikon for my Browning until I kept reading the raves about the Conquest; then I had teh chance to see the Monarch I wanted next to the conquest. My Browning is my favorite gun and thus why its definitely getting the Conquest. A .270 is a falt shooting round that probably doesn't need a BDC for longer ranges especially if I have a 200 yard zero.

But I don't know if the 30-06 would BENEFIT from a BDC of some kind. The Team Primos is a great value as well. I looked through a Busnhell Trophy that had the DOA 600 reticle when I bought my gun. I did like their reticle! Probably better than Nikons BDC. To me, it would be easier to use...but it was still not as dark as I would have liked (reticle crosshairs).

So guys, give me a little lesson on the ranges of 30-06 and advised your opinions on the SCOPES LISTED. If you do have a scope that is NOT listed, please advise what it is and why you suggest it over what is listed. I've wikipedia'd the 30-06 round and know some but not enough to make an informed decision on a scope purchase.---Bboy623
I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6!
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/12/2009 at 15:32
30-06 was the battle cartridge for the U.S. Service Rifle  1903 Springfield bolt action and later the M1 Garand semi auto.  It was a very successful caliber choice in WW1,  WW2 and Korea now that we have switched to a varmit caliber .223 we are not as successful at knocking down the enemy. The popularity and familiarity of the 30-06 as a military cartridge led it to become widely popular as a hunting cartridge.  It has been used often in 1000 yard matches and I have killed deer with a 30-06 at 600 yds.   30-06 is the dividing line between cartridges as it is the minimum cartridge for bears.   I bought a 30-06 for one of my sons for Christmas and put the Bushnell 4200 4-16x40 scope on it and like that very much for a scope choice.  One other scope I would consider is the 3-9x42 Super Sniper.   I tend to dial in correction adjustment rather than use a balistic reticle because balistic reticles only work at the highest power.   Kenton ind will engrave a knob with yardage marks for the 4-16x40 Bushnell  4200.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
sholling View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sholling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/12/2009 at 16:13
The 30-06 is a great round. It's also a long round meaning that you have a long action rifle and not just any scope will fit. I managed to fit a little Nikon Team Primos to my Tikka 30-06 but I had to play with the scope mounts a bit. It's a nice little scope. A small step up would be the Bushnell 4200 in 3-9x40. Just be aware of mounting options.

The rifle on the bottom is a Howa M1500 in 30-06 with a similar Nikon Team Primos and you can see I had to get a bit creative with the mounts to get it to fit.

NRA, SAF, & CRPA life member
Member Madison Society & Revolutionary War Veteran Association (Project Appleseed)

Old age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill. ;)
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/12/2009 at 17:56
In the traditional optics I would sure rather give up one on the low end to gain 7 more power on the high end.   Sure makes it pleasant to be able to see the holes in the target.
Bushnell 4-16x40 Elite 4200 Rifle Scope Multi-X Bushnell 4-16x40 Elite 4200 Rifle Scope
Stock # - 424164SF
  • Matte
  • Multi-X
  • 1"
  • Rainguard
  • Side Focus
$494.95
Add Bushnell 4-16x40 Elite 4200 Rifle Scope to Cart 

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/12/2009 at 18:04
The only reason I would select a 3-9 over the 4-16 would be if it had some additional feature I wanted like an illuminated reticle or good tactical knobs to dial in correction.

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic