OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Optic Reviews and Tests > Member's Tests and Reviews
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Monarch 2-8 comparison/review

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Monarch 2-8 comparison/review
    Posted: December/11/2009 at 19:58

First impression ...I like the reticle ( traditional plex ) perfect in size and clarity. The scope feels fairly substantial, and is a good looking piece fo the most part . I am not a fan of the huge turret caps though. To me they just look too big . In the photo of the Remington 7400 , I blacked out the gold Monarch emblem which I thought was out of place on a matte black rifle . Adjustments are crisp, and at the range the scope boxed out just fine.  

The contestants:

Using the Monarch 2-8 ( Rem 7400) as a baseline --   It's images were bright, the reticle stayed crisp and clear unless the sun was low on the horizon , then the cross hairs became rather "silvery". It does have a forgiving , apparently constant eye relief. It's a great size for short action or compact rifles where balance can be a concern.

Leupold 2.5-8 Vari-XIII  ( Rem model 7)-- held its own . It has Leupold's standard reticle which could be a bit thicker , but I found it as bright Monarch at most of the day , but just the slightest off at dusk ( but really close) , but inline with the Browning, Weaver, and Pentax, Leupold had crisp images and excellent color resolution.. I've had it for a while, and it  has lived up to its durable reputation.

Pentax 3x9x40 Whitetails Unlimited ( on a Rem 700 308)- Wow- the twilight plex reticle is the thickest and boldest of the bunch ..I like it.. really jumps out at you , but not the first choice for varmints.. almost as bright as the Monarch, pretty close  and certainly in line with the Grand Slam , Browning , and Vari-XIII.... certainly bright enough though, with crisp images

Bushnell Elite 4200 3x9x40( Model 70 7mm/08) and 4200 2.5-10x40 ( Wby 300 )-  Crisp images , great color resolution, Rainguard , you just gotta like these.. I have a few, and am a big fan. - I couldn't see any difference in clarity and brightness at all times of the day from dawn to dusk. My only grievance is the 4200 could use a pinch thicker reticle  posts, and did seem just a touch"silver'ish" in direct bright sunlight as the sun started to set  behind images being viewed. this was not quite as bad as the Monarch 2-8 though.
I wish Bushnell would produce a 4200 in the 2-7 or 2-8  range . The 2.5-10 is a long scope and can look odd on short actions or compact rifles ( 3x9 40mm bell can be bit big  for those too).

Swarovski 3-10 American ( 300 Wby Mk V) ...   Well, this one edged the others out and so it should considering it's cost. I have to admit though, it wasn't a knock out punch. My son agreed ( so it wasn't necessarily my 44 yr old eyes) . It was a bit brighter and crisp optically, & very well made and a handsome scope, but worth three times as much as the others? --well- that's up to you ..Mine was my 40 yr old birthday gift , and I love it,,but if my $, the jury is still out  -- maybe ....okay - yeah

Weaver Grand Slam 3x10x40 -(Vanguard 300 WSM- not pictured)- nice scope, feels rugged ..optically in  line with the Pentax , Browning and Leupold ( call it a draw optically with these 4 ). the reticle is a great size. All those I know who have  one -like'em . Just the tiniest behind the Monarchs , 4200 and Swaro, but not really noticeable until the very last-last minute of the day ( I know -that's when you need it , but it wasn't drastic) .

Previous generation Nikon Monarch 3x9x40 ( 700 custom LVSF)- Comparable to Primos 3-9 but with a Plex reticle VS the BDC reticle   ,, looking through this, the Monarch 2-8, and going back and forth with the 4200, I thought was virtually a tie under most light conditions ( brightness and clarity) . In fact, It was tough to tell them apart. Maybe at the very lowest of light, the 40mm objective gave the older Monarch and 4200 an advantage. The Swaro even more so ( remember, costs 3-4 times as much) . 

Browning 3x9x40 Sports Optic ( not pictured - on a 7400 in 243)  -- this one I picked up for the mid $100's range new ( discontinued a year or 2 ago) ..Gotta admit- great value. It is made by Bushnell , and seems to fall right between the 3200 and 4200, but without the Rainguard. I like it. Optically it  falls right in line with the Grand Slam, Vari XIII and the Pentax. The reticle could be a bit bolder. I am not a fan of the gold circle on the scope caps, and it's not the best looking scope body with the ridge on the objective bell, but nevertheless entirely functional.

Bushnell 3200 Elite 2-7x3200 ( H&R 30/30 and AR15 flattop in 7.62x39 ) ..   here the Monarch clearly won out in low light conditions. You could see your target with the 3200 well enough, but the image was noticeably brighter in the last 15 minutes of the day with the Monarch 2-8 . I have several 3200's on rifles and 12 ga slug guns and they have proved durable ( like the rainguard too), but the Monarch's extra cost proves out optically with functionally brighter and crisper images .

Previous generation 2-7x32 Monarch ( Marlin 336 SS)...I have 2 of these and really like them . Admittedly, it feels  more substantial than the newer Monarch . Clarity and brightness were virtually identical, only giving up the slightest brightness at the lowest of light conditions. It is to me also more pleasing to the eye . Given the choice between the two, it would be a tough call ( aesthetics VS a little extra magnification ), but I would give the edge to the 8X on top to the new Monarch.

lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/11/2009 at 20:07
Great report Scott, nice optics to go along with nice rifles.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/11/2009 at 22:00
 Yes. Good report, good pics.
 Well done, Sir!
 Thank you for your time in putting this together.
martin3175 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/14/2009 at 15:44
Spent a little more time with this rifle at the range today .. Several other folks took a look see and liked the scope ..The large turret knobs to some looked kinda tacticle..all liked it though..
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/14/2009 at 15:54
Good information.  Thank you.  
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/14/2009 at 18:30
Good report!  Thanks!
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
SD Dog View Drop Down
OT Scratching Post

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SD Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/15/2009 at 12:51
Takes for the report.  Nice rifles!
If nobody ever said anything unless he knew what he was talking about, a ghastly hush would descend upon the earth. AP Herbert

Stupidity & ignorance have been the foundation for many certainties.
Smokey53119 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smokey53119 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/15/2009 at 19:54
Thanks for the excellent review.

I saw a handful of these scopes on the samplelist but those large w/e knobs stopped me from buying one.  That and the 90 day warranty on refurbs.

I expected them to be very nice optically however.  I have several Monarchs and love them.
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/16/2009 at 03:59
Good work, Sir! Thank you for your excellent report.
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/16/2009 at 08:07
I especially liked the attention you payed to comparing apples to apples as they say. This makes this a very helpful report. Good job. The W/E caps are large but the style of the dials and quality function are my favorite feature of the Monarch scope.  If you never dial in shots it would not matter. I chose works good over pretty every day.

Edited by 3_tens - December/16/2009 at 08:09
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/2009 at 17:40
Side by side can be very eye opening , especially outside of the typical sporting store
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/2009 at 18:03
Very well done! Nice writeup!

ILya
gr8plmbr View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gr8plmbr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/22/2009 at 15:34
nice to see a comparison not how good one scope is when you get it
ned pepper fill your hands

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/30/2009 at 10:25

I put one on my 16 yr old son's new Omega Black powder-- it's a good fit and he really likes it ..2-8 should  be a good magnification range for it

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/06/2010 at 12:23
works well on the Omega -- magnification range seems about ideal and good eye relief

Edited by martin3175 - August/23/2010 at 22:00

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/23/2010 at 22:01
finally shot it ..Works just fine and is good fit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/27/2011 at 08:32
Proven durable ....I have three of these now and no worries
stickbow46 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/27/2011 at 09:20
Very nice report,thanks for taking the time to post.Excellent
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic