OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Millett 1-4x24 DMS

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dbuster34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Millett 1-4x24 DMS
    Posted: December/11/2009 at 15:40
I am new here to the forums and posted a few posts asking questions about a potential scope for my tactical Mini-14 with an ATI Stock. After a lot of research, I think that I am going to purchase a

Millett 1-4x24 DMS.

Just wondering if anyone on these forums has any experience with Millett and this scope in particular.

martin3175 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/11/2009 at 18:54
have heard some horror stories about this scope

Edited by martin3175 - December/11/2009 at 18:54
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/11/2009 at 19:16
I owned one, it wasn't bad.

I have heard, since Millett was acquired by Bushnell, that quality control has gone to hell, many scopes coming in from China are not anywhere near spec.

In truth, I'd look at other options, Millett is going through a "phase" and might one day emerge from it, but is making some crap right now.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
STINGER View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote STINGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/12/2009 at 23:16
Originally posted by dbuster34 dbuster34 wrote:

I am new here to the forums and posted a few posts asking questions about a potential scope for my tactical Mini-14 with an ATI Stock. After a lot of research, I think that I am going to purchase a

Millett 1-4x24 DMS.

Just wondering if anyone on these forums has any experience with Millett and this scope in particular.

Buster

I was told bout a year and a half ago by he forum ex sputs the DMS was a POS and wasn;t even worth looking through, so defying logic I bought one.

Was extremely satisfied with it's performance when I put it on a Ruger 10-22 for shooting bunnies on the run.

Then I got to thinking, this could be dangerous, and put a DMS on my 870 Turkey gun, gee what a great idea. Bought scope #2. Works great for slugs and Deer also.

Then I got to thinking, have I mentioned the dangerous part of this? Anyhoo I put another, thats #3 on a 7mm 98 Mauser for jump shooting Deer. I couldn't be more satisfied with the results. The scopes are bright and clear and even though I'm 73 years old and have had Laser surgery for Glaucoma I find them a great value.

By the way I see leupold has stolen the Circle Dot Sighting arrangement from Millet for their latest scope line. HUMMMM! Bandito

I like my Millets but your mileage may vary.

Best wishes, Bill
PLEASE EXCUSE CAPS. I AM HANDICAPPED AND ONLY HAVE ONE HAND TO TYPE WITH.
NRA LIFE MEMBER 1965
MINOT (MINDROT) NORTH DAKOTA
HANDLOADS ARE LIKE UNDERWEAR, BE CAREFUL WHO YOU SWAP WITH.
HAPPY TRAILS
KB0WZL View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KB0WZL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/14/2009 at 10:24
Stinger

thanks for the support, and you are right about the leupold copy of the donut dot,  all together there are 4 other copies out there.  The DMS is 6 yrs old this shot show and still going strong.   I used it in Africa last year and we took 2 lions with it.   works great for quick shooting.

keep shooting for many more years it will keep you young.

Steve

Millett/Zbushnell
Steve
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/14/2009 at 11:19
Stinger and Steve,

As I said previously, I had one, it wasn't a bad scope.

That said, I talked recently with a Millett Distributor (not SWFA) and was told they received a shipment in and he kept the least terrible one and sent the rest back, he said things were rattling in the scopes, some had threads showing where they hadn't been fully and securely assembled.  It is, admittedly, second-hand info, but from someone whom I trust - and the ain't the only one seeing these problems right now.

The design is sound, the specs are nice, it is a serviceable optic. but yours might have issues as many right now do.  Like buying from a few other optics makers: yours might be great, it might suck, you'll know when you open the package.

There are far better 1-4s on the market, and they are priced accordingly.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
dbuster34 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dbuster34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/14/2009 at 22:52
What other 1x4s out there are better in your opinion at a comparable price point?
DrewsShootingSports View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrewsShootingSports Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/15/2009 at 07:47
I'll make a quick wager that the speculation about the Made in China product is accurate - QC is hit and miss...  I've got one pretty good Chinese scope, but have had others fall to pieces, and have encountered many others who had very poor experiences with the same brand and model range that my decent China scope is.  If you're a gamblin' man...
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic