OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Varmint Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Scope for new Hornet

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote waterboygn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Scope for new Hornet
    Posted: December/10/2009 at 20:14
I just purchased a Cz 527 in 22 Hornet ans am now seeking decent scope that would be appropriate for  the caliber. I'm looking at the Burris 2-7x35 with the German #4 retical. Any ideas? I would prefer fine cross hairs or the German style reticle.
Thanks
Don
RONK View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/10/2009 at 21:56
  I don't think that scope would be terribly inappropriate at all.
 Neat little cartridge, BTW.
lewwetzel View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewwetzel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/13/2009 at 14:24
I have a Savage 40 Hornet/Nikon Buckmaster 4.4-14X, also a CZ 527 .221 Fireball/Bushnell 3200 7-21X; with jamescalhoon.com modified bolt handle and Warne medium rings (1/8" lower than "stock".) As you can see, I like a little more magnification with my "mini"-centerfires, but have run 3-9's also with these two with good results. Finding a compact size scope with AO and higher mag for the little CZ is tricky. I'll probably swap with the Buckmaster because of the side-focus; the longer AO B-nell (no, it's NOT 12.8" as they state, it's 14.4")is kind of a hassle to focus offhand on a light walkaround rifle. I picked up a Burris Timberline 4.5-14X32 that might go on it, but the glass doesn't seem to be that great.
Don't know your budget, but a single-X Leupold (6 or 12) might be nice, or one of their Lightweights.
Good luck!
lewwetzel View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewwetzel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/13/2009 at 14:26
Also: what's the parallax set at on that 2-7 Burris? 50 yards?
waterboygn View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote waterboygn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/14/2009 at 08:57
I'm not sure what the parallax is set on with that scope. I did just see that the clicks are .5 moa which kinda sucks as I was just assuming they were 1/4". 
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/14/2009 at 10:29

have one, nice little gun , likes 40 gr vmax as opposed to hornet bullets however. your biggest problem will be the scope is too high with stock mounts, and if you go lower the bolt will need to be thinned to provide clearance.

waterboygn View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote waterboygn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/20/2009 at 17:43
I decided to go with a new Weaver K6. I am very impressed with how clear this little scope is. 6X seems to be a good match for the little hornets range.
medic52 View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote medic52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/20/2009 at 19:20
I have a Ruger 77/22 Hornet just loaded some  of the new Barnes 30 gr varmint. Anxious to see how it does. My scope is a 3x9 bushnell elite 3200
"The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him." G.K. Chesterton
AWS View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AWS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/27/2009 at 15:56
A few thouhgts, you didn't mention what your going to be doing with this rifle.  If it's called in preds (fox, coon, cats, coyotes) the the 2x7 would be ideal, low power, large FOV for close in moving target and enought power to place good hits at longer ranges.  If your targets are gophers or PD's at longer ranges or just paper punching a  more powerful scope would be in order.  Most 2x7's have a FOV of 45" at 2x and 15" at 7x  The straight 6x has just a 18' FOV .  Most 2x7's UNLESS market shotgun/ML are paralax adjusted for 100 yds  and have little impact on there performance.

AWS
After the first shot the rest are just noise.
John Barsness View Drop Down
Optics Optimist
Optics Optimist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Barsness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/28/2009 at 09:19
Everybody's eyes are different, but I have run 3-9x scopes on Hornets for a long time, and have not only taken stuff up close but regularly shoot prairie dogs out to 300+ yards. Mine has a Burris FFII with the Ballistic Plex reticle right now, which works for me.

A lot fpeople assume the Hornet is only a 200-yard cartridge--and it does tend to be with factory loads or traditional Hornet bullets. But with the 40-grain plastic-tips such as the Nosler Ballistic Tip and Hornady V-Max range is greatly extended.
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/28/2009 at 09:33
Originally posted by RONK RONK wrote:

I don't think that scope would be terribly inappropriate at all.
 Neat little cartridge, BTW.

Sounds like a good combo.  or even the 3-9 would be good.
AWS View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AWS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/28/2009 at 10:38
My Hornet with a 2x7 on it.

AWS
After the first shot the rest are just noise.
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/28/2009 at 20:17
yup ,40 vmax greatly extended, the handgun is a 200 yd gun, (Raging Hornet)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic